1886 Benz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a treat to see running Tom! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Gotta love the fuel injection system! ;D :big:

That's AWESOME! Great work!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Awesome piece of engineering, Tom. Watching it run certainly starched my jeans!

Thanks I'm glade you enjoyed it.
I built a simple mixer with air adjustment
for the fuel system and got it running a little better .
101_1424.jpg

Had to build a cone for the bottom of the coolent tank this was a first for me but it came out ok .
101_1425.jpg

A little press work.
101_1432.jpg

and ta da a cone
101_1436.jpg

You can see the cone on the bottom of the tank in this video.

What a work of art, Tom. It's hard to express proper admiration for this engine.
"Fabulous" would be a start.
Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

Dean

That is looking and sounding great, Tom. I am just bumping this up.

Kenny

I know it's been said many different ways but this is truly a magnificent build and to see it running so nicely is icing on the cake.
gbritnell

Thanks guys I have made a little more progress. Here are some pictures .Tom
100_2272.jpg

100_2265.jpg

100_2263.jpg

An incredible amount of effort and well worth it. Can't wait to see the driving video.

Ray

Understatement of the year;
"I have made a little more progress"
Tom, I didn't realize you were building then entire car! I'm going to love watching this ...
Careful though....Jay Leno may be phoning soon to talk price... :big:

Great work Tom.

Cheers
Garry

Thanks Ray, Garry
Just a couple more pictures.
This shows how I made the seat spring support bracket.
100_2281.jpg

and here it is with the floor boards.
101_1442.jpg

so, you're building the whole car, not only the engine :eek:

it's a tremendous project, not many people would attempt such a difficult task :bow:

Ariz yes the whole car and it coming along nicely . but the wood and upholstery has slowed the progress. Here are some more pictures. Tom
101_1457.jpg

101_1458.jpg

101_1459.jpg

Tom,

It is such a joy to follow this build adventure. Thank you.

Alan

Tom

This is really starting to shape up nicely. It is nice to see how you went about bending up the seat spring/support. You are doing a great job on this car. Thanks for letting us ride along. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

I’ve been following the build of this project with much excitement. It’s caused me to conduct more than one search for information and review the few videos on YouTube. I’ve been wondering about the carburetor and ignition. Hum I haven’t found much on brakes either. Still makes me want one. After all I’ve seen I can’t wait to see the build process of the large spoke wheels and tires. From where I see you it’s all down hill now. I’m awe struck by your talent and vision.

Thanks Rustranch. The original engine used a vapor carb. I built a simple mixer with air adjustment you can see it in this thread futher back. I will take some pictures of the ignition and post them. Here are some pictures of the primary drive and the brake band.

The belt pulley on the left is a idler and is where the drive belt rides when the shift lever is in neutral. The pulley on the right is bolted directly to the diff. and is where the drive belt rides when the lever is in drive . The brake band also rides on this pulley and is applied by pulling the lever back past neutral.
101_1447.jpg

This shows the drive belt in drive and the brake band. Tom
100_2269.jpg

Well you’ve answered another question about a differential. Looks similar to a surplus one I’ve looked at to use for a sidewalk battery powered car for grandkids. Lets see a brake band on a drum. Somewhat like Henry Ford used on the Model T’s. So I’m guessing the brakes and drive belt controls are interlinked to the lever. Hum another item Ford copied in his Model T. His level was interlinked for Drive, Neutral and what is sometimes called a Hill Holder Brake. From what I’ve seen in the video of other Benz models it works similar. Ok in some of the pictures of other replicas people have built of this Benz vehicles I’ve noticed a different size rear sprocket on some of them. Must have been hill climbing gearing option they copied. Just kiding. Also been wondering about the steering controls. I look forward to seeing how you replicate it.

Latest posts

Back