1886 Benz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom

th_wav th_confused0052 That's is some very impressive work ,,please keep the photos coming Thm: great build

Regards Rob

Thanks guys.
Here it is after milling and grinding still need to bore the hub.
101_1334.jpg

101_1336.jpg

VERY VERY NICE Tom :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
its a shame to paint it :big:,,, how many hours do you have in the fly wheel ?

Regards Rob

Tom, that flywheel is really a beauty! I assume you will bore the hub with your milling machine? How will you get it accurately centered and perpendicular so there's no wobble?

Also, where did you get the outside ring?

Chuck

That's excellent work Tom :bow: :bow:
Regards, Arnold

great, impressive work :eek: :eek: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks guys.
Rob about 50 hrs.
Chuck, I mounted the flywheel on the rotary table and put a dial indicator on the outer ring and adjusted it to run true with the rotation of the rotary table.Then I put a small end mill in the spindle and made a light cut in the hub by rotating the rotary table this gave me a place to line the spindle up with that was true with the outer ring. The outer rings I had rolled by a shop in okc.

Tom,

Great job on the flywheel. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Amazing work Tom! :bow:

What i want to know is this:

How many people does it take to lift your rotary table???
It looks HUGE!!!! :D

Andrew

Thanks guys .
Andrew It takes 6 guys to pick up the rotary table, and 3 guys to push the milling machine under it :big:
But I use a cherry picker to pick it up. Don't usually have 9 guys around here at one time. :big:
The only reason I have this beast is I found it at a garage sale for 100.00. When I put this on the mill I like to
make sure I am not gonna need it anymore before I remove it. I am gonna need to make the cam lobes and thought I
would try Chucks way.
101_1346.jpg

101_1350.jpg

Gosh, that engine looks nice. I'm very envious!

Chuck

Wow. It just keeps getting better and better, Tom. Really nice work!
Hard to imagine all the effort you've put into it already.

Dean

GREAT WORK OF ART Tom :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards Rob

Hi Tom That flywheel is great. I like the story about getting the rotary table at a garage sale. They are my favorie place to shop. You are doing a great job on your project. Thanks for shareing it.
Jack

Thanks I made some more progress. I built the cam and gear carrier it looks like a simple part but it took a while to get it lined up with the pinion. The shafts are just for testing fit. Still need to do some finsh work on it. Tom
101_1354.jpg

101_1359.jpg

101_1360.jpg

101_1365.jpg

Sure wish I had your energy and enthusiasm, Tom. This build is going very nicely. Gonna be a beauty.

Chuck

That's a serious big cam lobe! Healthy looking gears too. They really grew 'em big in the old days!
I don't know what more to say about your work, Tom. You're a real craftsman. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks Chuck

Deanofide I appreciate your opinion because I thought the cam and the gear were to small. They must be just right then. :big:
Here are some pictures of the valves. The slide valve was made in 3 pieces, adapter, carrier, and cover. The ports haven't been drilled yet. I was wondering about port shape? Do you think round or square? The slide valve linkage is pinned to the outside of the cam lobe and is always moving. Not like a poppet. This could make it tough to time. ???
101_1376.jpg

101_1377.jpg

101_1380.jpg

That is going to be an Awesome looking engine!!! Love the weld and grind job you are doing!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Wes

Thanks Wes I disassembled this engine to do some finish work to the parts. Drilled a oil pasage down the sleeve to lube the piston and wrist pin, filled the water jacket with water and had to fix two pin holes in my mig weld. I think stick welding would have been a better choice. After I drilled the oil hole in the piston I pick up the rod to drill a hole through the wrist pin end of it that's when I realized I had made a mistake on the piston :wall: Do you see it?? Tom
101_1388.jpg

Latest posts

Back