1886 Benz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lit me look for my book on the 1886 benz and I'll get back with you:eek:) is it the oiler drilled crooked?

No Power Keg the slide valve mounts at a angle the mistake is on the piston .I cant believe I did that scratch.gif

Tom, great work! People ask me "isn't it hard to work on all those small parts?" I tell them it's not bad at all. I think it's harder or should I say more work to build something like what you're doing. Not so much the machining, it just requires bigger machines but all the grinding and shaping of the parts. Making everything look like a casting requires loads of extra work. This project is going to be something when it's complete.
gbritnell

The engine is on its side. So the oil hole should be in line with the wrist pin? Or in the wrist pin?

Did I win?:eek:)

Gbritnell thanks I think the small engines are harder to build and make run right . you have built some really nice stuff.

Power keg you win th_wav and you are right about the fix. Thanks Tom
101_1390.jpg

Tom;
You've taken on quite the challenge - and by the looks of it doing very well. Nice work!

I wanted to ask if you had found drawings somewhere or are working exclusively from the one patent application document you referenced? Build as you go? I need a project to re-learn CAD/Solidmodeling and a 1/3rd version of this engine might be the ticket. Although I've found many (similar) photo's of the engine to help reverse engineer it, the only drawings I've seen so far are the patents documents.

Any idea how the exhaust valve functions? There seems to be a linkage to the exhaust port area but no photo's to identify how it's operated.

Keep at it - we're all enjoying this build!

Garry

Thanks Garry All I have is the patent document and some pictures I found on the net, none of the pictures show the exhaust valve so i just built what i thought would work . Here are some pictures if you look hard you can see what I built. Tom
101_1405.jpg

101_1403.jpg

101_1401.jpg

indeed a great work :bow:

thanks for sharing it Tom

Tom
Thanks for the additional photo's. Looks to me as though you've hit the proportions bang on. It really looks the part. So are you planing to build the opposed twin they built for trucks once this one's running? :big:

Cheers
Garry

Tom, that is one beautiful engine and your workmanship is awe inspiring. I'm totally impressed!

Chuck

cfellows said:
Tom, that is one beautiful engine and your workmanship is awe inspiring. I'm totally impressed!

Chuck

Me too. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Wow one way cool project. Make me want to just give up on anything to post.

That thing is to use a term 'drop dead gorgeous'!!! I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said. It's a shame that it would have to be painted, covering up all that hand work. The first time it pops will be the final reward for all that craftsmanship.
gbritnell

Thanks guys for your generous post. :bow:
Garry I don't know what my project is next. I have thought about the first motorcycle, full size???
Rustranch never give up and post, post, post,
Ok its time to quit goofing around and get on with the show. I got it running. I the first video I had the timing set at TDC I think it was ready to get on down the road. In the second video I retarded the timing and got it to settle down, still need to build a carb, and the cooling tank. but it was a good feeling to here it run Tom

I was cheering from my computer desk, Tom!
What a lovely sound. What a terrific build!
Just chuffing along, and not even an carb yet. That's just great.

Dean

hey ya! You hafta be near dead not to get a buzz out of seeing that. Just great mate, just great :bow:

Artie

Latest posts

Back