Horizontal Double acting Twin Self starter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to build some pistons and such---
endforpistonrod-doublehorizontal.jpg

pistonfordoublehorizontal.jpg

pistonrodfordoublehorizontal.jpg

fullassemblyofpistonandsolderedpist.jpg

Great work Brian. I especially like your "lathe dog" trick :bow:. Who'da thunk? ???

Cheers,
Phil

I had to chuck the rods up in the lathe and do a little silver solder removal from the piston rods up near the brass ends, as there is only about 0.125" between the brass end and the crosshead guides at their closest point of approach, and it wasn't allowing the engine to completely turn a full revolution. After I did that, it spins quite freely. Needless to say, I'm excited as Heck. suddenly, there isn't too much more untill this thing runs!!

holy crap brian...........slow down.......there's only so many styles of engines to build.............and at the rate you are going you will run out of engines to build :big: :bow: ::)

this engine you have designed right from scratch and now you have it almost built, i what 3 or 4 weeks?????

oh boy is right.................look forward to seeing it next year at the shows!!!!!

chuck

Brian,

Man oh man... You little creation has certainly started taking on a life of its own. Looking great!!

Brian,
It is really looking like an engine. Man you are fast. At this stage if you have good movement of everything you're really kicking buttinski ;D

I can't wait to see this engine run.

Cheers,
Phil

Hey Brian,

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up on the plans you have been doing lately. Your larger beam engine and this one.

Good job mate!

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
Hey Brian,

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up on the plans you have been doing lately. Your larger beam engine and this one.

Good job mate!

Eric

Thanks Eric. Its not that big a deal to me to do up the plans, but then after 44 years of designing machines, it shouldn't be. I'm still thrilled to peices when somebody else builds something from them.

Brian Rupnow said:
Thanks Eric. Its not that big a deal to me to do up the plans, but then after 44 years of designing machines, it shouldn't be. I'm still thrilled to peices when somebody else builds something from them.

I will probably start one or both after Christmas. I have some gifts to build first. Anyway, good job on contributing to the community!

Eric

Brian,

or should I say Speedy Gonzales ???
icon_bolt.gif

This is my second post of this message
jump31.gif
jump31.gif

Faster than a locomotive - Leaps tall buildings in a single bound etc.
spinleaf2_wpcon.gif

Looking better than good.
shocking.gif

Best Regards
Bob ;)

This morning I finished the pistons. All well and good, you may say---but wait--there's more. After the usual screwing about trying to get things to slide freely and to have cylinder, cylinder cap, piston, and piston rod all concentric and sliding without any major binding (which is a saga all of its own), I assenbled everything.---and---IT WOULDN'T TURN OVER. And then--I took it all apart---and I measured everything---and then I put it back together---and it WOULDN'T TURN OVER ---and then I took it apart and checked everything---and it looked like I was going to have to move the entire cylinder 1/8" closer to the crankshaft to have the damn thing turn over!!!! Now, I don't usually make mistakes of that magnitude. So---one final check item by item---and damned if I hadn't made the pistons 1/2" long. The drawing calls for 3/8" long!!! NOTE TO MYSELF---READ THE FRIGGIN DRAWINGS. So--back to the lathe and turn 1/8" off the arse end of the pistons (the rod side). Hurray!!! It finally turns over---sticky, but turns over, non the less. Now its setting out on my garage floor with the electric drill on it, running like gangbusters. An hour of that and it will be free as a bird.
PISTONS002.jpg

PISTONS003.jpg

Hi Brian

I know it gets to you when you make a mistake like that but better 1/8 too long rather than too short. Lets hope that all your bad luck is good like that. It definitely is another good looking engine that you are going to have there.

cheers :bow:

Don

oopstext.gif

dsquire said:
I know it gets to you when you make a mistake like that but better 1/8 too long rather than too short. Lets hope that all your bad luck is good like that. It definitely is another good looking engine that you are going to have there.

Me too
icon_bow.gif
icon_super.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Looks great Brian!

I've truly enjoyed following this build through your step by step posts.

Rick

Congratulations Brian :bow: :bow: :bow: You took us for a nice adventure.

Now what am I going to read about with my morning coffee? :(

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back