Electric Starter System for Model Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not let your neighbors or relatives know that your labour is free.
So you are your own employee, not your own boss :cool: .
Please open up a new thread when you start making pulleys, it will be very interesting.
Amen to that. I responded to a request to make a part for a table saw miter gauge in a Reddit group, and although it was only a couple hour job, I made the mistake of telling the person that he could pay shipping and whatever he thought was fair for my time. He sent me the $7.50 shipping cost and that was it. While the materials were in my shop and on-hand so I wasn’t out of pocket for that, he must’ve decided that a home shop machinist’s time is irrelevant…

He did say that the work looked “amazing” and was a “perfect fit”, but I learned my lesson and won’t ever offer up that someone can pay me what they think is fair. A couple pro machine shop folks responding to his request quoted over $100 for the part. Oh well, live and learn and free work is only for myself, family, and the closest of friends from now on.

John W

Hi Brian - thanks for the shout out.
Your solution looks good.
For info - I managed to find a geared motor on eBay. I've pinned the following description to my video explaining what I later did........

I decided to replace my starter motor with a geared version. This motor was suggested by Terry S (a fellow model engineer also building a JH v-twin) and can currently be found on eBay UK by searching for '3 bolt electric starter motor 50cc'. It cost less than £13 delivered! I made a bracket using 40mm angle iron with slots in the top for bolting to my aluminium base. The slots allow of belt tension adjustment. I kept the 48 tooth pulley on the engine end as it needs to be large enough for the sprag bearing. I put a 21 tooth pulley on the motor end using grub screws and epoxy resin to fix it. I also needed a larger belt 500mm long. This gets the rpm down to around 850. It works a treat! The only problem I encountered was the current draw. The original motor used less than 20A. The replacement blew that. I replaced with 25A and it blew that as well. So I ended up replacing the motor circuit 12AWG wiring with with 10AWG and using a 30A fuse. Fortunately the relay is rated at 30A. Very happy with the result and it's far quieter than my geabox version.

Latest posts

Back