Horizontal Double acting Twin Self starter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh!!! Disaster!!! My built up crankshaft just let go. Its one of the silver soldered joints, right beside one of the connecting rods. Man, I hope I can fix that---

Yahoo!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D--Its running!!! ;D ;D ;D I resoldered the crankshaft "in place" and hooked up the air. Its only running on one cylinder right now, on the corner of my desk--and its beautifull!!! Now I will rush and make an air inlet for the other cylinder and see what happens.

Brian Rupnow said:
Its running!!! ;D ;D ;D

Congrat's Brian :bow: ............. don't panic, you seem to have the knack of dealing with the "snagging" items as they arise, another few days and it will be running like its been here forever I'm sure 8)

CC

Brian, congratulations!! :bow: :bow: I'm glad it is on it's own power even if it is for testing purposes! Fabulous job!!

Well guys, its been quite a thrash this afternoon. Early in the afternoon, as I was getting everything loosened up to run with no friction, I managed to break one of the silver soldered joints on the crankshaft!!! I gritted my teeth and silver soldered the bugger back together in place, because I figured that if I took it out of its bearing blocks it would totally be scrap. It went back together okay--one flywheel now has a bit of wobble to it, but hey, I'll worry about that another day. First I monkeyed around with the timing on one cylinder (no air supply to the other cylinder) untill I got it to run on one cylinder. Then I switched the airline to the other cylinder and got it to run on that one. Then I had to run out to Canadian Tire (our everything mechanical store) and buy a T to split the air supply with. Now its setting here running like a charm, and here is the obligitory video. I will be fabricating a classier air intake manifold, and updating all the drawings and posting them in the downloads section of this website.---Brian

excellent job brian, you should be very proud of your efforts.............from drawings to working engine in no time flat :bow: :bow: :bow:

chuck

Brian,

Congratulations on another runner. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

And Yes, by Gosh, it does self start!!! (I've been setting here plugging in and unplugging the airline, just to see.

Brian, you have done an awesome job! :bow: :bow: You have a very nice runner!!

You're little engine is all you, and that is something to be proud of!! Many, many thanks for sharing your exploits on this project.

Brian

the movie says it all

a very good build, thank you for taking us with you along the way

i so glad its worked as you wished and i look forward to seeing the tools you intend to run off this and your other engines

well done eh

cheers

jack

Congratulations Brian!

This has been an amazing journey! What? 3 weeks from design to a running engine?
Wow!

Well done Brian!
That is a fantastic engine. I can't believe you designed and built it as quickly as you did. You make the rest of us look like slackers. Should we be expecting the next engine next week? ;)

Brian
Congrats... Nicely Done!! I can share the feeling of satisfaction, going from an idea to a running engine. I happen to know it's even more of a rush than that of getting the first one to run. Welcome to the Blind Alley Engineering Club....LOL.

Steve

Brian :bow:

If I remember right, it was only several weeks ago you were wondering what engine to build next. Definitely a short time span from bar stock to running engine. Very impressive and a good looker too. Now when you get finished with your Bling it will really be something. I nominate it for the next engine of the month. It will be interesting to see what can be arranged for it to power to show it at work.

Job well done Brian

Don

Brian .............. what can I say that's not already been expressed ;D

Great job, that's a cracking runner ............. nice one :bow:

CC

Brian Rupnow said:
Thanks Guys, for the congratulations. The plans are now up on the "download" section of this website.---Brian

woohoo! :bow:

Eric

Latest posts

Back