Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All!!

I made the fuel fitting from brass. I found out that if things weren't done in the correct order, I would break the piece every time due to it's small size. I turned the first diameter and threaded it. Cant do this after the hole is drilled and after the .0625 diameter is cut or the piece would just tear itself apart.

DSCN1048s.jpg

Then the rest of the turning gets done.

DSCN1052s.jpg

Then the piece can be drilled thru and parted off.

DSCN1055s.jpg

I still have not decided if I will cut the hex on them. The Peewee had the same fitting and after the tubing is on, You can't see much of the hex anyway.

DSCN1059s.jpg

Hello All!!

I cut the fuel passages into the rear bowl today. The passages are 2 holes and a slot.

DSCN1038s.jpg

DSCN1041s.jpg

This hole intersects the first hole. It's a bit of a pain but this way allows for more thread for the fuel fitting.

DSCN1042s.jpg

Now I just need to make the drums and some kind of throttle arm.

Pretty cool carb Steve!

Nice work.

Scratch carburetor off the list. Thanks to Mr. Bob Farr I was able to get a piece of brass to make the barrels. Everything is made except the throttle lever and the gaskets. I think I'm just going to wait until everything is done and make gaskets for everything all at one time.

The screw to the right adjusts the fuel and is adjusted at full throttle. The screw in the center will adjust the air bleed to lean out at idle.

DSCN1063s.jpg

DSCN1061s.jpg

That'll look good on top of that v-8. Gonna have to get the OS off of mine replaced with one of more natural flavor. Hey, why didn't you make two, one for me.

jpeter said:
That'll look good on top of that v-8. Gonna have to get the OS off of mine replaced with one of more natural flavor. Hey, why didn't you make two, one for me.

I made 4 but I buggered one up. I needed 3 so that leaves you with some stock and some free gcode if you want it.

I find myself using it quite a bit, and getting strange looks from my family :-\

Well I'm getting real close. All i need to do is part off the ends, cut a flat on the front shaft and thread the rear shaft. I'm not going to do anything fancy like counter weights. I don't want to screw it up.

DSCN1069s.jpg

That's progress. It looks pretty good. That carb looks good too.

Very Nice Steve!! Those things take some patience.

Did you use any spacers in the webs when you were machining the throws and mains?

Kel

kcmillin said:
Did you use any spacers in the webs when you were machining the throws and mains?

No I did not. I got my hands on some real sharp tool bits and found I didn't need to hold the piece very tight at all. Took light cuts and had little to no chatter. If I can get thru tomorrow, I should have a good piece.

Nice looking crank, Steve. I am amazed you got by without any blocking between the throws. As to cutting out the counterweights, I'm at the same point on a Silver Bullet crank, modified to put the crank pins 180 degrees out of phase. The counter weights look nice, but are they worth a possible mistake? I may follow your lead and leave the crank throws round.

Which steel did you use for your crank?

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

1144 is a good choice. I used it for my crank as well. This is the first time I've machined 1144 and I like it.

I've not put up a thread yet on the Bullet. I'll do that once I get a bit more done. The block is pretty well done as is the crank.

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back