Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kcmillin said:
Them rockers are incredibly complex little parts. :bow: :bow:

How did you hold them when counter boring? It looks like they are on a drill press with no fixture or vice. Is this just an "After" picture?

Kel

Thanks guys!

I just held them with my fingers and drilled slow. I wasn't afraid of them getting away from me but if I drill too fast they would heat up.

Today I decided to finish the air cleaner lower pan. I found a piece of scrap large enough and faced it and turned the OD.

DSCN0908s.jpg

The air hole and mounting hole were both drilled from the bottom side.

DSCN0910s.jpg

The ID of the mount was bored with the boring bar

DSCN0912s.jpg

Then by some miracle, the part was parted off.

DSCN0915s.jpg

Then the front was cut to shape and that is where the camera battery died.

DSCN0918s.jpg

It was finished off in the CNC mill. I think it is a close replica of a 14 inch Edelbrock. Only without the Edelbrock.

DSCN0920s.jpg

DSCN0928s.jpg

DSCN0930s.jpg

stevehuckss396 said:
Today I decided to finish the air cleaner lower pan. I found a piece of scrap large enough and faced it and turned the OD.
You people with all this useful scrap make me jealous. ;D

Looks beautiful!

stevehuckss396 said:
When I first started out, If I need a foot, I would buy two. If I needed 10 screws I would buy 100. Now some 5 years later I still buy material and screws but not all that often. My strategy worked.

;D.....oh I like the way you think bud...

Ok, I feel better now. I refer to that as stock, not scrap. It all has to do with the acquisition price with me. :D

Well gentlemen, all the parts for the heads are DONE!!! Over the last month or 2 I have made the 360 individual pieces that it will take to complete 5 heads. In the next few days following Christmas I am going to try to get everything assembled. I think i'll take the rest of the night off!!

Hi Steve,
Well done. I can't wait to see what they look like assembled.
gbritnell

Good job Steve! I am still working on one cylinder head for a single cylinder! Sounds like you earned your rest.

stevehuckss396 said:
Well gentlemen, all the parts for the heads are DONE!!! Over the last month or 2 I have made the 360 individual pieces that it will take to complete 5 heads. In the next few days following Christmas I am going to try to get everything assembled. I think i'll take the rest of the night off!!

Hey Steve, how is the assembly coming along?

PS..If you want anything black anodized I now have the proper sealer and dye to do it along with a PS.

deere_x475guy said:
Hey Steve, how is the assembly coming along?

It's not! I got involved with TB4 so I have spent the last few days making sure my parts are done. I should have everything done tomorrow.

I have also been working on a website for the club so that is an ongoing project.

Hope to be back at it by weeks end or early next week.

Thanks for the offer Bob!

Awh yes, I seen that shortly after I posted the question. Looks like your getting that one wrapped up. Nice job on the heads and engraving.

Steve,
You have come a long ways in a short time, and everytime I look at your builds I am in awe. Sometimes it's best to do as you are right now. I know your not discoraged....your past that. Your doing what many people have to do from time to time. Relax a bit and reflect some.

Hang tough Steve...it'll still be there when the time is right.

Dave

Well I tried to take a break but it was a dismal failure. I spent all week last week working on some drawings for the little V8. I have created 29 sheets already. I don't know anything about tolerances so you will be left to your own good judgement on that one. I just put down on the sheets what I did. I'm just trying to get the necessary dimensions on them so you won't be left hanging. From this point on, I will make sure I make the remaining parts from my own drawings. This way I can catch if I leave out a needed dimension.

Then I couldn't resist making a few parts so I started on the carb. It is a simple drum type carb with adjustable air bleed. If it works out OK, I will include it in the drawings.

DSCN1018s.jpg

DSCN1019s.jpg

DSCN1021s.jpg

DSCN1025s.jpg

DSCN1023s.jpg

Back