Another Nash 25

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldengineguy

Reaction score
Inspired by raveney's build of this engine using steel instead of pricy brass, I decided to have a go. As I do not have silver soldering equipment or skill, I am building the engine as a "bolt it together" I used 3/16 cold rolled for all parts of the crankcase so that screws could be counter sunk and epoxied over, and the inside caulked with JB Weld to seal it up. All fasteners are4-40 except cyl . to block which are 6-32. I made the cyl sleeves of cast iron and will make pistons of the same. The valve blocks are bolted to the cylinders. There is enough space between the valve bores to allow for a 4-40 screw to fasten parts together. Once the head is installed there should be sufficient strength. Lot's of hurdles ahead but hopefully I can work around any silver soldered parts . The crankcase and cylinder flanges are soft soldered. I have enough heat for that.
Onward! Colin

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Inspired by raveney's build of this engine using steel instead of pricy brass, I decided to have a go. As I do not have silver soldering equipment or skill, I am building the engine as a "bolt it together" I used 3/16 cold rolled for all parts of the crankcase so that screws could be counter sunk and epoxied over, and the inside caulked with JB Weld to seal it up. All fasteners are4-40 except cyl . to block which are 6-32. I made the cyl sleeves of cast iron and will make pistons of the same. The valve blocks are bolted to the cylinders. There is enough space between the valve bores to allow for a 4-40 screw to fasten parts together. Once the head is installed there should be sufficient strength. Lot's of hurdles ahead but hopefully I can work around any silver soldered parts . The crankcase and cylinder flanges are soft soldered. I have enough heat for that.
Onward! Colin
Hi Colin,
that looks amazing! I didn't know you were so far along. Glad you were able to figure out the valve block to cylinder fastening. Keep up the good work, and thank you for the mention 😁

Great out of the box thinking.

I have the book of Mr Kelly and once my 2 cylinder is finished, I want to build the snow engine. There is also some silver brazing in that engine.

After hesitating for a long time, I tried a couple of silver brazing parts and now I'm addicted. It opens a new world of making intricate parts out of individual mono-parts instead of painstakingly milling/turning them from a large piece of material, while still being strong.

xander: I built the Snow a while back and soft soldered all joints. I have had problems with getting this engine to run well but none of these are related to soldered joints.
Colin

I have been building this engine since Nov 23 and following raveney's build log so no need to repeat the same here. I did make some changes to suit materials on hand and lack of silver soldering equipment. Cylinder liners and pistons are cast iron without rings or O-rings. Camshaft brackets are bolted to the crankcase which allows for the cams to be fixed to the shaft as the bearing mounts can be installed from the ends before installing as an assembly. Many old stationary engines had concrete bases so I made mine this way. The steel frame serves as reinforcement for the concrete mix and allows for threaded holes to be bolted from below the finished wooden display base. I had a friend with oxy -acetylene equipment silver solder the heads. I modified the design to solder in the spark plug bushes rather than relying on a press fit. I made an aluminum pulley to drive the water pump and installed the magnets for the Hall sensor in this .The sensor is mounted on a bracket bolted to the rear of the crankcase above the oil drain tube. I am using a Waste Fire Dual CDI system from Roy Sholl with 1/4-32 spark plugs. The engine will run on propane . The first sputters and pops yesterday led to retiming the cams then with a mixer and propane regulator borrowed from another engine, no cooling system and a jury-rigged starter pulley/rope IT RAN!. It amazes me that with this ign system which fires both plugs at each end of every stroke can possibly run. Why does it not burn the fuel at the bottom of the intake stroke? The inspiration to carry on with the rest of the build came with that first run.

Attachments

• 20240317_151203.jpg
    20240317_151203.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG