Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H
T70MkIII said:
Don't tease us, Steve!

This little engine looks like it will be a beauty. Hope you sort out the water passage issue easily.
knowing Steve he will have this sorted out easily.....)

deere_x475guy said:
Hknowing Steve he will have this sorted out easily.....)

Already have a plan.

I need to get over to the local metal shop and get some stock for the valve covers and intake manifold. I am also waiting on an adapter for my boring bar that i am getting ground in. I am "dead in the water" as they say.

The block, she is bored!

First thing done was to take a skim cut off the face to match the block and oilpan surfaces perfectly. Then the two bores were drilled thru with a 7/16 drill bit.

DSCN2210s.jpg

Then the boring bar was used to bring the hole to size. The block is 4.936 long and the travel on my Z axis is only 5.020 so i bored in 4.800 and then raised the knee until the bar broke thru. Then I lowered the knee and raised the boring bar. It takes a bunch of time this way but it's all i have for now.

DSCN2212s.jpg

I wanted to see how well it worked so i poped it out of the clamps and forgot that I have another dozen or so holes to drill, DUH.

DSCN2215s.jpg

Steve,

This project is look'n like another winner...good job Thm:

Philly

Thank's Philly!!

Not much to report. I managed to match cut the rear of the block and drill the holes
to mount the bell housing adapter before the heat chased me back into the house.
It should cool down this weekend so I was hoping to get the block done and move
on to something else.

DSCN2221s.jpg

Steve, this engine is looking great. Just make sure when you machine your cam that it's turning in the same direction as the crank. I'm sure you have this in mind but I just wanted to give you a reminder.
George

gbritnell said:
Steve, this engine is looking great. Just make sure when you machine your cam that it's turning in the same direction as the crank. I'm sure you have this in mind but I just wanted to give you a reminder.
George

Thanks G! That is the one thing that I haven't spent alot of time on. I have the blank designed but have not layed out the lobes. I do know that it will have .070 lift and 280 duration. That is what i made for the V4 and it sounds pretty good. Maybe 300?

Got a bit more done on the block. I went down both sides of the block with a 5/8 ball nose to give the block it's final profile.

DSCN2223s.jpg

Then with the block upside down, finished the profile.

DSCN2225s.jpg

DSCN2226s.jpg

Then i knocked down the pointed edge in the valley to make it look a bit nicer.

DSCN2228s.jpg

I think for now the block is done. I still need to drill the hole for the distributor but i'm going to wait and drill thru the manifold and block at the same time. It just hit me how small this thing is.

DSCN2230s.jpg

DSCN2233s.jpg

I think your ideas with the cam are good. Your video of the V4 running has to be one of the nicest sounding model engines ever. I am sure the V8 will sound brutal with the same cam parameters. Keep up the work Steve, really enjoying watching the build.

I made the timing cover today. The cover was cut using the CNC machine then the counterbores were made manually in the drill press. I now have to chuck it up in the lathe and bore the inside to recieve the front crank seal. I think the cover will be polished and buffed to a high gloss.

DSCN2234s.jpg

DSCN2235s.jpg

Steve, this is really a great build, wish I could think of more to say. Larry1

larry1 said:
Steve, this is really a great build, wish I could think of more to say. Larry1

Not a problem Larry. I do the same thing sometimes. I look at a thread of some awesome build and nothing comes to mind or it seem others have already typed what you would type.

Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back