Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!!

Thats some incredible stuff there Steve

Kel

Thank you gents! The slot is finished on the back of the rear plate and the crank seals are installed in the front and rear plates. I am considering the intake manifold next. I need to make a run to the metal store.

Wonderful work Steve :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Steve,
I know we touched on building the intake manifold awhile back so I hate to keep 'nosing in' about it but I have another idea.
In keeping with the aluminum aspect of the project why not make a conventional style intake out of 2 pieces of aluminum. Here's my idea. Machine the runners into the two halves of the material and then assemble it with screws from below (valley side) so that you don't see them. Upon final assembly put a very thin layer of sealer, I use a product called Yamabond from a Yamaha dealer, and then tighten everything together. The sealer is a soft set product that can be trimmed away once it rubberizes. It's also light gray in color so it won't be noticeable. The outside contours can then be sculpted into the manifold to give it it's finished look.
Just a thought.
George

gbritnell said:
In keeping with the aluminum aspect of the project why not make a conventional style intake out of 2 pieces of aluminum.

Hello G! You can nose in anytime.

The plan is to make a one piece unit. I have alloted myself 2 tries before coming up with something else. It is a simpleton version of a standard intake. If I fail to pull it off, I will be in need of a better idea.

Intake.jpg

Thanks Speedy!

It's not hard if you stop to think about it. Mill a few angles and drill ALOT of holes. My intent was to design something that someone with just a few years in the hobby could make. I am thinking about a set of step by step plans instead of a book of sheets that would overwelm a guy. I'm not saying it's not alot of work, but the level of skill wont need to be peak.

I like how you think!
step by step sounds GREAT! :bow:
you can test it with me.

looking forward to your next thread update with pics 8)

stevehuckss396 said:
Thanks Speedy!

It's not hard if you stop to think about it. Mill a few angles and drill ALOT of holes. My intent was to design something that someone with just a few years in the hobby could make. I am thinking about a set of step by step plans instead of a book of sheets that would overwelm a guy. I'm not saying it's not alot of work, but the level of skill wont need to be peak.

Ditto, Steve - a step by step guide for a small V8 would be truly be awesome, and will surely save me a lot of scrap metal on the way!

I appreciate your take on books of sheets being potentially overwhelming for the less experienced, too. I have looked at a few V8 plans which, without lots of good photos or isometric drawings, make no sense to me at all as I don't have a drafting or engineering background. But I am keen to have a go at something complex if I can visualise and understand it.

I was far from the forum for a while but the progress on this engine is fantastic, really awesome :bow:

stevehuckss396 said:
My intent was to design something that someone with just a few years in the hobby could make. I am thinking about a set of step by step plans instead of a book of sheets that would overwelm a guy. I'm not saying it's not alot of work, but the level of skill wont need to be peak.

Steve, are you saying that you'll furnish the plans for this build when finished?
it would be great!!!

ariz said:
Steve, are you saying that you'll furnish the plans for this build when finished?
it would be great!!!

One way or another. If I can put together something that is easily understood, and the engineering is sound, then I would offer the plans for sale at a very modest price.

If I cant get good drawings together I may just turn everything over to Rhemus and let him publish the plans. He makes VERY nice drawings. I could do a build article on the block and heads and most everything else should be straight forward.

Just a little mini update. I started the intake manifold by getting a block of aluminum to size and cutting the angles on the top edges. Tomorrow I will put the blank in the mill and start carving out the basic shapes on the top side.

DSCN2241s.jpg

DSCN2240s.jpg

Got a call from home today while at work. Starter died on the sons car. Thought I would spend the night replacing that but we set a speed record doing the repair. Had enough time left over to get the top of the intake profiled. Hope to do some more but work is going to stop that for the rest of the week.

DSCN2242s.jpg

DSCN2243s.jpg

DSCN2244s.jpg

th_confused0052

Super nice work Steve!

It's a real treat to watch this one grow.

Latest posts

Back