Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deere_x475guy said:
Steve is sure looks like your home made cnc mill is doing a great job!!!...

It is slow but I have time. I had a repair guy out to fix my Bridgeport. I wont tell you how it got broke because that will make me look like an idiot. That mill is also running like a new machine. Karma in the garage is good!!

That's it for the night. I think one more night and It should be completed.

DSCN2251s.jpg

DSCN2253s.jpg

Now it's really starting tp look like a V-8. :bow: :bow:

Ron

It is looking stunning, Steve - I can't wait to hear her run.

Thanks Richard & Ron

With the exception of a few rounded corners, the entire thing should be able to be made on a manual machine. There is still alot of internal work to be done. I need to decide on the gasket thickness for the heads before I can locate the mounting holes. I am wondering if I should make slots instead of holes so the head gaskets thickness can be changed without raising the manifold. I also plan to rub the edges down with a dremel tool and then sand blast to try to get a casting look. Just enough to blend some spots and break some of the sharp corners and edges.

Hi Steve, When I first built my 302 I had some really nice high temp gasket paper that was about .02 thick. After several tear downs I used up the the paper that I had. I got the name off of the back and contacted the the supplier but he gave me the run around. I have since ordered some from Mcmaster-Carr. They carry sheet Teflon in different thicknesses and also some high temp papers that work fairly well.
I didn't slot my manifold holes I just made them a little bit bigger in diameter. Even going up .01-.015 on gasket thickness doesn't change the hole relationship that much. I would get the material that you want to use (enough for several sets of gaskets) and make your hole accordingly.
George

gbritnell said:
I have since ordered some from Mcmaster-Carr. They carry sheet Teflon in different thicknesses and also some high temp papers that work fairly well.
I didn't slot my manifold holes I just made them a little bit bigger in diameter. Even going up .01-.015 on gasket thickness doesn't change the hole relationship that much. I would get the material that you want to use (enough for several sets of gaskets) and make your hole accordingly.

I was just looking at the drawings. I think I need to raise the holes about .01 and drill about .01 larger on the hole. I have .01, .02, and .03 teflon on hand. I am going to go with the .020 and see what happens.

Sound about right?

Thanks G!!

Hello All!

Update on the Little Demon. I made some head gaskets today. I took the same approach as the bugatti and made a template. The template was made from 1/8 inch thick aluminum bar 2 inches wide. One drilled and tapped for four 4-40 screws and the other drilled for clearance. The pair are bolted together and machined into the shape needed for the gasket. The long slot is the area under the head that would be impossible to reach with a razor blade.

DSCN2255s.jpg

A slice of teflon sheet is loaded into the template. This piece is a leftover but a smaller piece would be better.

DSCN2256s.jpg

DSCN2257s.jpg

Use a razor blade to clean out the slot and the cylinder holes.

DSCN2258s.jpg

Then use a drill bit to clean out the holes for the head bolts and water jackets.

DSCN2259s.jpg

Remove the teflon from the fixture and install it on the block. Use the razor blade to trim the gaskets outside edges.

DSCN2260s.jpg

DSCN2261s.jpg

DSCN2263s.jpg

And that is all. It took about 5 minutes each after the template is made.

DSCN2265s.jpg

Every time I check in here I seem to learn something new. Thm: Thm:

Really great job Steve.

Ron

Hello everybody!

Finally managed some progress this week. I spent the weekend at the Detroit Maker Faire so today I almost finished the intake manifold. First thing i did was drill the mounting holes thru and then spotted the passages with an endmill about an eigth down.

DSCN2268s.jpg

Finished drilling the water passage and the fuel passages on both sides. The vise is tipped on a 5 degree angle.

DSCN2269s.jpg

Wasen't sure about this one but i used the new angle blocks to tip the part at 68 degrees. I was a little worried but it worked perfectly.

DSCN2271s.jpg

Then I drilled to intersect the fuel passages both forward and backward.

DSCN2273s.jpg

Bolted it on the block to be sure it fits. The only thing left is to drill the distributor hole and finish threading a few holes and it should be a keeper.

DSCN2275s.jpg

Steve,

Nice work. I can't imagine making something so complex.

SAM

Very, very nice work Steve. I was wondering how you were going to tie the inlet runners together. What type of gearing, helical, miter, are you going to use to drive the distributor? I bought two helical gears from Stock Drive Products. The gears were hardened so I reamed out the end of the cam and pressed the gear onto a stub shaft that had the front main cam bearing on it. Once if was pressed in place I put a pin through it.
George

gbritnell said:
What type of gearing, helical, miter, are you going to use to drive the distributor?

Thanks G!

I am going to use 96 pitch, stainless steel miter gears. They allow small adjustment when you want to rotate the distributor one tooth. They are also machineable and will fit thru a .390 hole. All the gears will be SS gears.

I think your making Vic Edelbrock jealous :big: :big:

96 pitch gears. WOW. Thats got to be approaching watchmakers size. I thought the 48 were small. I cant wait too see those.

Incredible work. I am always pleasantly surprised when I open your new posts.

I'm glad to hear you got the intake manifold mounting bolts all lined up.

Kel

Hi Steve,

Damn that looks nice....Are you going to put that in a diorama like a car, or something?......like the air V8?

Dave

It's always great to see your progress on this beautiful engine. Hopefully she will be running soon. Thanks for continuing to share your progress with us.

Thanks guy's

kc, I was a bit nervous drilling the first one but it worked out OK. I made 3 of them just in case something bad happened along the way. But it didn't!!!

Dave, I don't think I will ever build an entire car. I saw a RC boat at the hobby shop that a pair of these things would look great in.

DSCN2208s.jpg

T70, thank you. I don't know about soon but progress has been good. I figured a year and I started in early June

Valve covers!!!!

Latest posts

Back