Peewee V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds and looks great Steve. I've been missing your post at work (they have u-tube blocked). Go figure!

Tony

cobra428 said:
Sounds and looks great Steve. I've been missing your post at work (they have u-tube blocked). Go figure!

Tony

Try the bosses secretary his/her computer will probably have no blocks on it. ;D Pseudo control strikes again. :-X

Best Regards
Bob

It's sounding better and better Steve. After about 20 minutes of running the smoking should go away and the performance will pick up even more. You probably won't get it to idle too slow because it just doesn't have enough flywheel but who cares when it sounds that good.
gbritnell

I still have some carb work to do in the tuning department. There is an air bleed hole that gets drilled very small. The hole gets redrilled one drill size bigger in steps untill the motor quits going lean at full throttle. That should improve throttle response.

The smoke went away the second day i ran it. If i run it out of fuel on the last run of the day, it wont smoke at all when i start it.

It will idle pretty low right now. I think it will get worse as everything breaks in and the compression increases.

Thanks guy's!

Steve

Wow, it sounds better every time I play the video. ;D Great work, again!

Steve,
Maybe I missed it, but is that engine a kit, plans, your own design or...?

Tony

cobra428 said:
Maybe I missed it, but is that engine a kit, plans, your own design or...?

It was designed by the late Bob Shores. It was the last engine he designed before he passed away. I heard it was going to be "The Pacifier" but in the last days of his life, He re-named it after his wifes nick-name, Peewee.

The Peewee comes as a 6 piece casting set and a very poor set of plans. I suspect he finished the engine design but never finished the drawings. I think that because there are key things missing like the head for the 1-3 bank. I had the drawings for the Hurcules so i was able to bring parts over from that engine. There is enough info on the drawings to get finished with good cad skills but would be hard for a paper and pencil guy. I found the crankshaft and cylinders were out of alignment by .020, stuff like that.

I only know of one other peewee that ever ran. It was built by a guy named Bob Shutt from Ohio. I saw his parts at the 2007 NAMES show. At names 2008 I saw his run for the first time and bought the plans and castings ($180) 2 weeks later. This year, there will be two.

Castingss.JPG

I have drilled the air bleed in small steps from a #70 up to a #61 and it is starting to respond. It's not to bad but i believe there is room for further improvment. You can really hear the cam. I'm sorry i didn't go a few more degrees of duration.

I bumped Bobs 240/260 to 280/280.

I will pick it up tomorrow because the Barrett Jackson auction is on and I just have to watch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdUOm8n-4i0[/ame]

Thanks Steve,
She is a beauty, you have done some marvelous work on her. Congrats, she is sounding better and better every day :bow: :bow: :bow:
I'll have to look into Bob's site to see if the castings are still available!

Tony

Bob's widow does not handle the peewee stuff. There is a fellow named Dirk Tollenaar who took on the castings and plans for the Peewee. He is a real nice guy. I wanted to get the castings and plans for the Peewee, Hurcules, and Silver Bullet. Dirk was kind enough to get the SB and Hurk from Margaret and send all 3 kits together.

If you do decide to get the castings, dont cut anything. There are some things that i can let you know that will save you some heartache.

Last known:
[email protected]

Thanks Steve,
Right now the Whittle has captured my interest. It's nice to know though. I will be researching it. Beauty of an engine!

Tony

Well.... I think this project is about finished. I have tuned the carburetor about all i can and have it running to a point that makes me happy. I plan on some suttle changes like a small container under the overflow tube in the radiator. For the most part

I'M DONE!!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRQGPswVA[/ame]

DSCN1881.JPG

DSCN1885.JPG

Well done!! Just love that sound.

Some day when I'm feeling very confident of my skills, I too may enjoy my own little noise maker. ::) ::) ::)

Ron

Steve, that is an absolute masterpiece. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I don't know what you can do to top that one, but I bet we will see something within the next year. You just keep raising the bar.

A true work of art. Congrats on your Build.

Matt

Beautiful Steve, truly beautiful! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Just curios, how many hours do you think you have in it? ???

-MB

It's hard to say how many hours. I would work on it hard for a few weeks and then get distracted for a few weeks. There was a period where i put it down for about 4-5 months. If i had to guess it would be between 750 - 1000 maybe? That could be cut down my not making the crankshaft 3 times and not making 3 sets of heads.

Oh well! It is my first IC engine to run and they will get faster.

When I grow up I want to be George Britnell.

LOL.

I'm a steam guy (just know that internal combustion stuff will never catch on) but I'm really gob-smacked here. That is just plain fantastic! Well done, indeed.

Latest posts

Back