Peewee V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working on the late Bob Shores Peewee V4 for 6 or so months. I have all the castings machined. I am slowly working on finishing the heads. I guesstimate being 25% finished with only 95 % to go!!

DSCN1355s.JPG

DSCN1409s.JPG

DSCN1540s.JPG

DSCN1543s.JPG

Please keep us posted on your progress Steve.

Beautiful work on the V8 as well! :bow:

Rick

Equally impressive Steve. Please keep the pictures coming as progress continues.

Bill

That is pretty cool Steve. Keep the build pictures coming.

Eric

Very impressive Steve. I'll be watching for updates as they come.

cheers

Don

thats a neat little engine, keep the pics comming

I can't wait to see more, Steve. I want to build a multi-cylinder soon so I am trying to absorb as much as possible. Looking great so far.

T70MkIII said:
I can't wait to see more, Steve. I want to build a multi-cylinder soon so I am trying to absorb as much as possible. Looking great so far.

I have finished the valve cages, valves, and retainers. As soon as the rockers are on the head i will update with some photos.

I,m with Tel ---- Very Nice :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Incredible work Steve. I'll be watching this build. I saved your pictures in my "Not to be believed" file :eek: :eek: :eek:. I show stuff in there to my friends especially those that aren't in this hobby.

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
I'll be watching this build.

I should have had the heads done by now but I made the rocker arms wrong. I started a new batch with a completely new design. Easier to make and more interesting to look at. If I dont screw these up, there should be some photo's by the weekend.

What's the car that the engine is sitting on? Is that a Morgan?

Nice. My dad and I restored old cars years ago. We rebuilt a '62 Studebaker Lark that dad drove as his daily transport for years. Now he's got a 1964 Avanti sitting in the garage, still awaiting completion.

I'm a bit of a car nut, but unheated garage + NY winters = indoor hobby. Model engines fits the bill.

Camshaft went well. I developed a system for cutting all the lobes at the same time. I took the Bob Shores method but modified the cam fixture to allow my cutoff tool clearance so all 8 lobes could be cut at the same time. I made a spread sheet so i would know what lobe to cut and at what degree angle. The method worked well and I completed all the cuts in 3 hours. Including making the blank and filing and polishing the nose of the lobe, it took less than 5 hours to get this far.

Picture 008s.JPG

Picture 007s.JPG

Picture 020s.JPG

Picture 021s.JPG

Steve,
That's an interesting cam fixture. Could you give more details about it, please?

Lots of interesting work on this engine. Following closely...

Thanks,
Kevin

ksouers said:
Steve,
That's an interesting cam fixture. Could you give more details about it, please?

It is a modified version of the fixture that comes with the Peewee plans. I thing Dick Upsure used the same method. All it does is hold the cam off center the same amount as the flank radius of the lobe. In this case .521 inches. As the fixture swings the cam, a cut the depth of the desired lift is made. Then the cam is rotated 5 degrees and another cut is made. Enough of these cuts and a lobe starts to form.

I have been trying to write a paper on the procedure, but after reading it, I confused myself. It needs work in the form of illistrations. It is one of those things that you can write down and it's confusing, but if you were in the garage for 10 minutes you would catch on. It's alot easier to show you than tell you. It's a work I plan to finish.

Thats fantastic work!

Very nice cam fixture. Are the brass bushings split? How many times do you index each lobe?

Thanks,

Merry Christmas!

Kevin.

Back