Ghosty's Rupnow Vertical Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Just messing around this morning, undersized piece of cast iron. I still think a brass cylinder would look nice.

Cheers
Andrew

51.jpg

Shipdisturber, Thanks, it looks good, but not great, The cylinder is 2mm under size, still waiting on other material to turn up.

Got the bar stock machined up for the carb, just using alloy, don't have the brass in the right size to make it.

Cheers
Andrew

52.jpg

Looking good so far. The cylinder may be a tad undersized, but I think it actually adds some character to the engine. I understand that you know it is a bit smaller, and it bugs you, but I'm sure that most folks wouldn't have a clue.

Tom

Hi All,
Spent all morning doing the carb body and barrel, used the hex and square ER32 chucks, found them invaluable while doing this, swapping between mill and lathe. Will do the needle valve assy this arvo.

Cheers
Andrew

53.jpg

54.jpg

I have a set of those that I've never used (got them in a box of 'junk') and I just forget all about them. I'll drag them out and leave them where I can see them - looks like they make life a lot easier.

I have a set of those that I've never used (got them in a box of 'junk') and I just forget all about them. I'll drag them out and leave them where I can see them - looks like they make life a lot easier.
Cogsy, I have the full set of collets for them as well as I have the ER32 MT3 chuck for the mill. I use them a lot, Doing hex's(nuts) are a snap.

Cheers
Andrew

Looks great Andrew

What have you used for the ignition?

Cheers

Bruce
Thanks, Bruce.
I use a Rcexl CDI unit I had left over from my RC flying days, all housed in the base, If you look around you can pick them up cheep, the brass tube coming up from the wood base to under the crank carries the pickup wiring and sensor, and there is a magnet in the disc just in front of it.

Cheers
Andrew

59.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,
Good news, bad news, It ran for about 45 seconds, I know not long, then stopped, no spark, after some testing the pickup sensor is dead, ordered 3 new ones, now have to wait a week for them to arrive. Must have damaged it removing it from the plastic holder it was in. New ones not fitted in the holder.
Will start some rough drawings for the next project.

Cheers
Andrew

Congratulations---almost!!! And that is exactly why I run old school points and condenser on all of my engines.---Brian

That is very good, looks great. Runs nice but how do you keep the crank and rod bearings lubed?

Very cool. Congrats! I'm eating my lunch right now then it's off to the shed for the afternoon so I can get a little bit closer...

Congratulations Andrew on the first run,
Great looking engine,

DavidLloyd,

Congratulations Andrew. Now there are 3 running Rupnow vertical engines that I know of, and 4 more "in process" that I know of.---Brian

Congratulations Andrew. Hopefully not far behind you.

Hi All,
Thanks, Had problems yester day, it stopped again and would not start. Crank cam gear cam loose, did not Loctite the grub screws. After fixing this, the pickup wiring shorted out, very hard to insulate 3 wires in a 3.5mm tube. Replace pickup with a set of points to fire the CDI ignition. After messing around with the cam and ign timing it starts easy now, getting better the more that it runs. Can be hand started now.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q8hP8D3Rq4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Cheers
Andrew

60.jpg

20161217_164733[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back