Mini Mill Fine Feed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac2

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I did any maintenance on my Craftex Mini Mill and things are starting to move in ways they just aren't supposed to. One of my biggest beefs on the mill has been the fine feed knob. I don’t know if this is common on all mini mills but on mine the fine feed has about 1 1/2 turns of backlash.

My grand plan was to put a thrust bearing behind the knob to take up the slack. All I would have to do is machine a recess in the back of the knob to accept the bearing and smack it back on, easy peasy. . . . .

Nope.

When so much of the stuff coming out of China suffers from poor fit and finish and at times questionable materials, why is this knob harder than the hubs of hell.

001.JPG

So a new knob was in order. I have a DRO on the mill and have never used the indicator ring because of the backlash so the ring was put on ignore. Chucked up a piece of 2 in aluminum in the lathe and brought it to (give or take) the same dimensions as the original. Knurled it and cut the recess in the back.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Quick tip. Sometimes when swapping the jaws on a chuck I’ll put a rubber band around them, rotate the jaws backwards until the number 1 jaw clicks then just spin them in. A little easier than the three point Kung Fu grip.

3 Jaw.JPG

The fine feed shaft goes to a worm held in place with a pin. Between this and the 2 universals there is about 3mm of movement to be taken up when turning the knob.

004.JPG

I split the shaft so I could drill and tap the end 10-32 for a screw that I can use to pull the slack out of the shaft down onto the thrust bearing. Then lock the knob with the setscrew.

005.JPG

006.JPG

The thrust bearing I have are imperial and the shaft is metric so I had to make up a small bushing a bit shy of the thickness of the thrust bearing and washers.

007.JPG

Most times the knob is a bit of a pain to use so I added a short crank arm. Used the lazy man’s setup to dial it in on the mill. Chuck a piece of drill rod that fit the hole in the knob then tighten down the vice and milled a slot to fit the crank arm.

008.JPG

009.JPG

I cold blued the arm because . . . OK, no logical reason but I think it looks cool, and 3D printed a handle then mounted it up.

010.JPG

011.JPG

I am pleasantly surprised with the result. It’s down to maybe 5 degrees of backlash and with the extended crank a lot more comfortable to use.

012.JPG

It’s been a while since I did any maintenance on my Craftex Mini Mill and things are starting to move in ways they just aren't supposed to. One of my biggest beefs on the mill has been the fine feed knob. I don’t know if this is common on all mini mills but on mine the fine feed has about 1 1/2 turns of backlash.

My grand plan was to put a thrust bearing behind the knob to take up the slack. All I would have to do is machine a recess in the back of the knob to accept the bearing and smack it back on, easy peasy. . . . .

Nope.

When so much of the stuff coming out of China suffers from poor fit and finish and at times questionable materials, why is this knob harder than the hubs of hell.

View attachment 154479

So a new knob was in order. I have a DRO on the mill and have never used the indicator ring because of the backlash so the ring was put on ignore. Chucked up a piece of 2 in aluminum in the lathe and brought it to (give or take) the same dimensions as the original. Knurled it and cut the recess in the back.

View attachment 154480

View attachment 154481

Quick tip. Sometimes when swapping the jaws on a chuck I’ll put a rubber band around them, rotate the jaws backwards until the number 1 jaw clicks then just spin them in. A little easier than the three point Kung Fu grip.

View attachment 154482

The fine feed shaft goes to a worm held in place with a pin. Between this and the 2 universals there is about 3mm of movement to be taken up when turning the knob.

View attachment 154483

I split the shaft so I could drill and tap the end 10-32 for a screw that I can use to pull the slack out of the shaft down onto the thrust bearing. Then lock the knob with the setscrew.

View attachment 154484

View attachment 154485

The thrust bearing I have are imperial and the shaft is metric so I had to make up a small bushing a bit shy of the thickness of the thrust bearing and washers.

View attachment 154486

Most times the knob is a bit of a pain to use so I added a short crank arm. Used the lazy man’s setup to dial it in on the mill. Chuck a piece of drill rod that fit the hole in the knob then tighten down the vice and milled a slot to fit the crank arm.

View attachment 154487

View attachment 154488

I cold blued the arm because . . . OK, no logical reason but I think it looks cool, and 3D printed a handle then mounted it up.

View attachment 154489

View attachment 154490

I am pleasantly surprised with the result. It’s down to maybe 5 degrees of backlash and with the extended crank a lot more comfortable to use.

View attachment 154491
Nice job! I confess that I purchased a larger diameter knob with a handle and tinkered with the shaft supports to reduce the backlash by about half. The air spring makes it easy to raise the head with the handle, but lowering still requires grasping the OD of the knob.

Thanks ChazzC
I hear you on the air spring. My only regret after doing it was that I hadn't done it years earlier.

Really nice job! I too became tired of not having a method of continuous feed, especially when boring so I did a little digging and found a 3d printed handle for my mini mill and started a thread about it:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinis...-x2-aka-harbor-freight-44991-mini-mill.34626/

There’s a link in the thread for the STL files if anyone is interested in printing their own piece, I should’ve used PETG because I live in Arizona, and things can get quite toasty in my garage. The PLA seems to be holding up fairly well all the same.

I didn’t go as far as you in the refurb of the system, and still have HUGE amounts of backlash in the feed. Now I’ll take things apart and chase down the gremlins causing that backlash! Thanks for the detailed build, I now have a place to start as far as that goes.

John W

Latest posts

Back