Ghosty's Rupnow Vertical Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghosty

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi All,
I started this so I could show what I have done different due to a number of things, The first is the material that I have access to. Have to order every thing and postage can be deadly.
My machines are all metric and conversion differences can add up.
Also my tooling is mostly metric, reamers, cutting bits and drills.
This is where I am up to. I ordered the cast iron for the cylinder at 50mm dia. It turned up and is exactly 50mm with the skin on, done a test cut to clean it up and it came out at 48.5mm, too small, so ordered some at 60mm and am waiting for it to arrive.
The main difference at the moment is the fuel tank, made out of a 1.5" copper "T" fitting and some 1.5" brass welsh plugs. The stand was made out of 5/8" brass bar machined down and I machined the surface that mated with the tank to get a better fit.
Will update over the next couple of days.

Cheers
Andrew

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

29.jpg

48mm would have been fine Andrew IMHO

you could have changed the PCD of the bolt holes a little but looking at mine I think you would have gotten away with it.

I have redrawn this as a metric engine if you want some plans

Really like the gas tank

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. The cast iron is cheep with post and I all ready have the cylinder mount and head all ready done. The fuel tank is using what I had in my junk bin.
The timing gears are metric MOD1 16 and 32 teeth, centre is 24mm, fits well within the dimensions as stated. They were 10mm wide and I used a piece of scrap alloy bar to hold and machine.

Cheers
Andrew

1.jpg

2.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Looking very sweet Andrew. I was wondering about the nominal size on that eBay cast iron, thanks for the report. How well did it machine?

Did you make a typo in the thread title or do you reckon it's a ripper of an engine :p??

Cogsy, I only cleaned up about 5mm on one end to get the skin off, the little I done machined very well, and I found out that the sizes stated are the size of the bar as measured.
The name is the bloke who designed and made the first one. I agree it is a lovely engine.
Still looking for the material for the flywheel, 140mm dia, found one supplier but they wanted over $80 just for postage.

Cheers
Andrew

G,

I don't know how much the postage will be from Europe but I have used this supplier for four large flywheels a few months ago. The postie nearly got a hernia delivering them.

http://www.rc-machines.com/en/model-engineering/flying-wheels

John
John, Thanks for the site, great looking flywheels, they only do Europe, could not register as it had a set list of country's that they will ship to. Australia is not one of them.

Cheers
Andrew

The name is the bloke who designed and made the first one. I agree it is a lovely engine.

So it was a typo - his name is Brian Rupnow (with a 'u') :). I'm sure he won't mind.

I've been looking at that cast bar on ebay but just couldn't afford it yet. I'm glad too cos I've already made the head and I'm committed to the 2" cylinder, give or take a bit. Maybe I'll be lucky and get a chunk of cast iron for Chrissy!

Nice thread Ghosty. Darn, I wish you had spelled my name right. Maybe Herbie can change it for you .---Brian Rupnow

Nice thread Ghosty. Darn, I wish you had spelled my name right. Maybe Herbie can change it for you .---Brian Rupnow
Brian, sorry about that, I hope he can as well, If he is watching, would like you to get the credit for the engine.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian, The flywheel, I have a piece of bar stock 3.5" x 1.625" weight of 4.4lb, is it heavy enough, I am having a problem at the moment getting material big enough to make it. I looks great with the bigger flywheel, but I may have to use what I have.

Cheers
Andrew

25.jpg

Looking very sweet Andrew. I was wondering about the nominal size on that eBay cast iron, thanks for the report. How well did it machine?

Did you make a typo in the thread title or do you reckon it's a ripper of an engine :p??
Cogsy, This is a pic of the cast iron, machined at 300rpm.

Brian, Thanks for that, will keep looking for the larger material, but may make the smaller one to get it going. Cast iron should be here tomorrow for the cylinder, I all ready have the material(1.250" dia) for the piston.

Cheers
Andrew

50.jpg

Looking great so far Ghosty. Fixed the typo also.

Hi Ghosty,

Very nice thread and a great job so far! I don't mean to butt in here but I have been wanting to build a vertical IC engine. May I ask where I might get those plans? That site for the flywheels is great. But they don't ship to USA. I have been looking for a source here in the states for larger flywheels but no luck. Keep going as I will be watching.

Jim in Pa, USA

Hi All,
Been thinking that a brass cylinder would look really nice. I would do a cylinder liner is cast iron and fit it in a brass body. What does every one think?
Crank was done as per the plans, except the dia was 10mm instead of the .375" because I had the bearings.
Con rod was done as per the plans, except for the rounding of the edges and I used a 4mm SS screw to hold in position, and the small end is 6mm dia.

Cheers
Andrew

16.jpg

Latest posts

Back