A New Home for my Benz Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After some prodding and pushing I have decided to try to make the Motorwagon for my Benz engine. It won't be a replica but of my own design and keeping as much as possible to the original. There have been several examples of this carriage made over the years including a run of 75 that Mercedes Benz built for the anniversary. They all are just a little bit different so in order to use the most authentic version I found this photo on line. That is Mr Benz himself and the motorwagon as he built it.
60926-classic-museum-geburt-automobil-04-660x602-660x602.jpg

For me the wheels look to be the most foreboding part of the build so I will start there.
This is one of the rear wheel rims that measures about 10 3/4" in diameter.
IMG_2109.JPG

The rear wheels will have 36 spokes each and the front wheel will have 24. I know the original had over twice that number of spokes but any more is way above my pay rate.
This is how I equally drilled the spoke holes for the rear wheels.
IMG_2115.JPG

I used a desk top Harbor Freight 3 in 1 sheer, brake, roller, machine to make the rims so I am at a disadvantage all ready. They are not exactly round but I hope the spokes will push things into place when the wheel is assembled. The rims are made from 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum strips.

Here are the three rims with the spoke holes.
IMG_2119.JPG
This is going to be a big model.

Thanks for looking
Ray

It has just been too hot to work in the shop during the day so I got up about 4am this morning and went out.
This is the setup of drilling the 24 holes for the front wheel spokes.
IMG_2116.JPG

Drilling the center hub for the front wheel.
IMG_2120.JPG

With the spokes installed.
IMG_2123.JPG

All cleaned up and ready for the tire.
IMG_2125.JPG
This wheel was assembled with just an interference fit of the spokes and then tapped around into place. It is not exactly round but I think it will be close enough. If not I have another idea in the works.

I think I will take a nap.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Did another early morning shop session today and made some progress.

This is one of the center hubs for the rear wheels.
IMG_2127.JPG

Two hubs, outer rim, and some of the spokes.
IMG_2130.JPG

Drilling 36 spoke holes with 18 evenly spaced holes on one end and 18 offset holes in the other end.
IMG_2132.JPG

I started threading some of the spokes 6 X32 on one end. I used the lathe spindle under power and the tail post to keep things aligned but each spoke takes about 3 minutes to complete. There are 72 spokes that need to be threaded so that is over 3 1/2 hours leaning over the lathe and that doesn't count for the time to cut them and cleanup the ends.
There is a lot of work and time in making spoked wheels.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Did another early morning shop session today and made some progress.

This is one of the center hubs for the rear wheels.
View attachment 149194

Two hubs, outer rim, and some of the spokes.
View attachment 149195

Drilling 36 spoke holes with 18 evenly spaced holes on one end and 18 offset holes in the other end.
View attachment 149196

I started threading some of the spokes 6 X32 on one end. I used the lathe spindle under power and the tail post to keep things aligned but each spoke takes about 3 minutes to complete. There are 72 spokes that need to be threaded so that is over 3 1/2 hours leaning over the lathe and that doesn't count for the time to cut them and cleanup the ends.
There is a lot of work and time in making spoked wheels.

Thanks for looking
Ray
Great work, I'm enjoying seeing your build, always nice to see how others do it! Here are my wheels, the holes were all drilled 0.8mms.
1691906556897.jpeg
1691906353865-jpeg.149204

Attachments

• 1691906353865.jpeg
    1691906353865.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 649
I started bending the main frame member and I think it may work out all right.
With nothing to go on except pictures it is a real wild guess as to the size and shape.

IMG_2150.JPG

I know I will be drilling holes for mounting supports and other attachments into this tubing and I am afraid it won't be up to the task.
I turned these slugs of solid aluminum and pressed them into the tubing for strength.

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

If you want a scale model to work from there are several companies that sell plastic models of the Benz wagon. While not inexpensive they would give you all the information you need. If you want to go that route I would be willing to go half with you and then use the model to make my own version.

That is very gracious of you gbritnell to offer but because my engine is not built to scale then everything else has to be made to fit. I know the frame width is good but the length may be a little short. If it is then making a new one is not a big deal in time or materials. Maybe I will even do a better job of it the second time.

Ray

Hi Ray.
I did a lot of work on the Benz wagon. The attached file is a good start to check your chassis layout. You can scale to suit your engine and wheels etc. The drawings are basic and incomplete but fairly accurate in 1/3 scale to the original. The attachment didn't seem to work. I can email it to you if you want. Just pm me your email address.

Over the last few days I have been making little pieces and parts for the main engine mounts when I had time.
Today I made the rest of the parts and assembled them.
IMG_2157.JPG

I put the solid aluminum slugs in the rear frame tubes so the u-bolts would not crush the tubing.
IMG_2159.JPG

It maybe overkill but now I have one rigid frame to work with.
IMG_2161.JPG

I mounted the engine to the frame and did a mock up to see how everything is fitting.
IMG_2163.JPG

My engine is a little longer in relation to the original engine so it may have to be moved further back but I will wait and see how the rest of the build turns out first.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I bought a 5ft piece of solid round rubber 3/4" in diameter to see if I could make the tires out of it.
I cut it in half on my 4X6 band saw.
IMG_2168.JPG

I clamped a couple of scrap boards to the table for guides and did my best to center the cut in the rubber.
Close up of the setup.
IMG_2166.JPG

It worked well and I even hit close to the center of the rubber strip.
IMG_2169.JPG

I coated the rims and the rubber with contact cement and let set for 15 minutes.
I worked around the rim pressing the rubber in place an inch at a time and then cut them to length.
IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Very happy with the results so now the wheels have tires.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Latest posts

Back