A New Home for my Benz Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ajoeiam but still a long way to go.

I turned the water inlet under the engine and tank fitting around as they were in conflict with the drive belt on that side.
Made up a new copper pipe to the water tank.
IMG_2243.JPG

The carb wouldn't fit in its current position so I made up a brass 90.
Now that doesn't look like it should be that hard but my soldering skills have left me. Not enough practice.
I did get the job done on the third try.
IMG_2247.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Steve I am sorry I forgot the can today but promise to get a picture tomorrow.

I added some rounded corners and smoothed over the top and then put a clear finish on the seat.
IMG_2257.JPG

I cut the floor boards and checked for fit.
Looks like they will work out well.
IMG_2260.JPG

They will be removed, sanded, stained, and sprayed with clear coat before final assembly.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Steve

I added a back rest to the seat for looks and drilled and tapped the two drive sprockets for set screws.
IMG_2267.JPG

My friend Chris gave me a piece of used belting that he had replaced on his lathe. It was too wide but I was able to tear it length wise and the tear followed the fabric very nicely.
IMG_2268.JPG

I used some Alligator splices to make up the ends. They were size 00 the smallest the factory made and just the right size for the Benz.
I left the belt quite long to act as a clutch for the engine.
IMG_2269.JPG

I mounted the carb mixture valve where I could get to it easily.
IMG_2271.JPG

I thought I should start the engine and work out any issues now rather than later. After a few minutes of hand cranking and a little cussing I have the engine running nicely like it was.
I have had some worries that the engine would not have enough power to pull the Benz and just bog down. The Benz weighs in at just under 25 pounds now so I gave it a try on the cement slab outside my shop. Now the drive belt is very loose and I didn't expect it move much as I would rather have had it just sit still. Well it took off at a rather quick pace without a noticeable drop in engine RPMs. I didn't have to run to catch up but I think it will be faster than I would like it to be.

Things left to do:
Make a proper clutch.
A steerable front wheel.
Maybe larger driven sprockets for the rear wheels to slow it down some.
A differential may still be needed for turning.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I have the clutch (belt tightener) built and installed. The lever works just backwards of the Benz with the lever back for forward drive.
IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

When I moved the engine back 2 inches a while back I used two steel plates that were bolted to the two frame brackets.
IMG_2182.JPG

I found that there was too much flex in the plates the way they were mounted and allowed the engine to buck up and down as it was running.
I replaced them with a single longer plate of 1/2" aluminum and that took care of that.
IMG_2282.JPG

As I am working on the final details I have found the gear ratio is just too high. With the tightener engaged so the belt doesn't slip the engine can not pull the Benz. If it could it would be moving at a fast walking speed which is not acceptable.
I will be giving this some extra thought before I change anything.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I have decided to change the big output pulley on the cam shaft to lower the speed. The original was 4" in diameter and the new pulley is 2.5" in diameter. That should make a big difference.
IMG_2286.JPG

I had to make a shorter belt and a larger tightener roller and modify the roller bracket for the clutch to work.
IMG_2290.JPG

Please excuse the video quality.
Have you ever tried to make a video by yourself while on the ground on all fours and then quickly get up and try to focus the camera. Then in the bright sunlight I couldn't see the view screen and just had to guess where the Benz was. Well it didn't turn out too badly so here it is.

I call this officially done.
Thanks to all that followed along.
Ray

Thanks ajoeiam but still a long way to go.

I turned the water inlet under the engine and tank fitting around as they were in conflict with the drive belt on that side.
Made up a new copper pipe to the water tank.
View attachment 149710

The carb wouldn't fit in its current position so I made up a brass 90.
Now that doesn't look like it should be that hard but my soldering skills have left me. Not enough practice.
I did get the job done on the third try.
View attachment 149711

Thanks for looking
Ray

Benz engine
Hi
Does the horizontal flywheel run more smoothly than a vertical one?
You may have detailed this.
If so my apologies
Richard

I have decided to change the big output pulley on the cam shaft to lower the speed. The original was 4" in diameter and the new pulley is 2.5" in diameter. That should make a big difference.
View attachment 149907

I had to make a shorter belt and a larger tightener roller and modify the roller bracket for the clutch to work.
View attachment 149908

Please excuse the video quality.
Have you ever tried to make a video by yourself while on the ground on all fours and then quickly get up and try to focus the camera. Then in the bright sunlight I couldn't see the view screen and just had to guess where the Benz was. Well it didn't turn out too badly so here it is.

I call this officially done.
Thanks to all that followed along.
Ray

I really like 👍
Congratulations !

Latest posts

Back