Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a while since I posted pictures of our Quadricycle Club project...but it has been a while since I have had help from my students! My free time does not coincide with their free time this semester, so maybe this Fall I will get some help.

So these next few parts I decided to make.

I finally added the mounting holes in the Main Bearings (my students were amazed that the mill could pivot). I found out that I bored the bushing hole too large in one of the Main Bearings so I had to make a custom bushing.

Just today I started the Crankshaft...all that is left is the keyways.

Here you go!

Hi All,

I just wanted to post up my progress on the Quadricycle full scale I'm building. Basically all fabricated -- no CNC unfortunately.
So I am using the advice I got here -- thanks very much!
You can see the engine I've built, and the body work. A local bike shop made the wheels from 29'er mountain bike rims and the hubs I machined.

I'd appreciate some info on
1. how to mount the carburetor to the engine and
2. how it aspirates into the manifold.
3. I'm also short on information for the coil, ignition system and
4. the type of spark plugs.
5. Do they use a high tension ignition or low tension?

So basically I'd really appreciate any advice on these that I can get!!

Thanks for your help.

Rex

IMG_0180sm.JPG

IMG_0181s.JPG

IMG_0182s.JPG

IMG_0183s.JPG

IMG_0184s.JPG

IMG_0185s.JPG

IMG_0186s.JPG

WOW!! Nice work. Any thoughts on the reflective white walls or are you going to leave them as is?

Hi All,

I just wanted to post up my progress on the Quadricycle full scale I'm building. Basically all fabricated -- no CNC unfortunately.
So I am using the advice I got here -- thanks very much!
You can see the engine I've built, and the body work. A local bike shop made the wheels from 29'er mountain bike rims and the hubs I machined.

I'd appreciate some info on
1. how to mount the carburetor to the engine and
2. how it aspirates into the manifold.
3. I'm also short on information for the coil, ignition system and
4. the type of spark plugs.
5. Do they use a high tension ignition or low tension?

So basically I'd really appreciate any advice on these that I can get!!

Thanks for your help.

Rex

Rex,

Great job with your Quad! You are much farther along with your build than we are at the college...unfortunately I don't have those answers...YET.

As soon as we start putting the engine together, I will have more information.

Great job!

Yes, the white walls look a bit much in the photos.

Not as bad in real life.

Thanks for the comments. I'm a bit puzzled by those questions I posted above. Any of you guys who've had a recent look at the quadricycle in museums any ideas on the carburetor?

Rex.

Rex,

My assumptions are it is very crude. Both air and fuel enter the carb and the fule intak can be adjusted with a set screw (from the side). If you look at pictures and videos online, you can see a small steel rod that is bent and guided directly from the carb to the seat.

By pulling (or pushing) the rod it allows more or less air into the engine.

Once again...just assumptions.

Hi Can anyone talk to me ref Wheels sizes and breaks I am trying the work out how to stop it. Anyone got drawings or a sketch of the way the disc is fitted to the rear please. :wall: any help very welcome

Graham

I do not think there are any brake discs for the Quadricycle.

Hi Chris, thanks for sending me the link to the plans, all downloaded and looked at about 40 times. You are a true gent. good luck with the rest of your build, and I'll be watching with interest.
Dean

Hi Can anyone talk to me ref Wheels sizes and breaks I am trying the work out how to stop it. Anyone got drawings or a sketch of the way the disc is fitted to the rear please. :wall: any help very welcome
Graham

Hi Graham

Henry's original Quad didn't have brakes. He had 2 speeds, with high range driven off the OD of the flywheel. The replicas built these days use the small wood high speed pulley for a band brake controlled from the belt tensioning lever. See photo below.

These are great web sites for Quad info, worth spending the time to go through them, lots of photos etc :

http://quadricycle.info and http://www.quadricycle1896.com/index.html

The movie from the 1960s of George DeAngelis driving his replica at Greenfield Village is a beauty. He is driving it in low range (there is no belt on the flywheel). It putt-putts along very nicely. It would fly in high range :eek:

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Ford Quad Brake.jpg

Hi Graham

Henry's original Quad didn't have brakes. He had 2 speeds, with high range driven off the OD of the flywheel. The replicas built these days use the small wood high speed pulley for a band brake controlled from the belt tensioning lever. See photo below.

These are great web sites for Quad info, worth spending the time to go through them, lots of photos etc :

http://quadricycle.info and http://www.quadricycle1896.com/index.html

The movie from the 1960s of George DeAngelis driving his replica at Greenfield Village is a beauty. He is driving it in low range (there is no belt on the flywheel). It putt-putts along very nicely. It would fly in high range :eek:

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Thank you so much is there anymore photos of this all round photos ? Please
where is the control to this or how is the brake app . Graham

Thank you so much is there anymore photos of this all round photos ? Please
where is the control to this or how is the brake app . Graham

Hi Graham

Go to the 2 websites I posted before. There are lots of photos of almost every part of the Qudricycle. Have a look at the videos, you can see the control lever being used to start the Quad moving. (It's the tall lever in front of the driver)

The arm with the small tensioning pulley and the arm with the brake band are fixed on the same shaft. As the main control lever releases the tensioning pulley on the drive belt, it starts to tighten the leather brake band around the brake pulley.

Pull back on the main lever to tension the drive belt to start moving. Push forward on the main lever to release the drive tension and apply the brake. Half way is like neutral, no drive and no brake.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

H Guys why do I see a leather belt going round the fly wheel ? what is this driving ?

Latest posts

Back