New Member Here

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edm4787

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ed - a new member. Recently retired and have been busy setting up and equipping a shop so that I can embark on model engine building. My tooling is a collection of vintage and new parts and pieces picked up over the years from sources here and there. My lathe is a Taig, which I purchased new more than 40 years ago and most recently completed significant modifications and upgrades to it including a change gear set-up and lead screw for powered fine feed and screw cutting capabilities as well as tool holder and tail stock improvements. My milling machine is a shop built vertical bench top which I designed and fabricated from raw stock and some salvaged machine slides for x, y and z axis. For guidance on machine design and use, I've been immersing myself in various machinist centered blogs and video sources and hope to be further inspired here with respect to model engine design and fabrication. Interested in sharing machine related experiences.

best edm4787

Hi, I'm Ed - a new member. Recently retired and have been busy setting up and equipping a shop so that I can embark on model engine building. My tooling is a collection of vintage and new parts and pieces picked up over the years from sources here and there. My lathe is a Taig, which I purchased new more than 40 years ago and most recently completed significant modifications and upgrades to it including a change gear set-up and lead screw for powered fine feed and screw cutting capabilities as well as tool holder and tail stock improvements. My milling machine is a shop built vertical bench top which I designed and fabricated from raw stock and some salvaged machine slides for x, y and z axis. For guidance on machine design and use, I've been immersing myself in various machinist centered blogs and video sources and hope to be further inspired here with respect to model engine design and fabrication. Interested in sharing machine related experiences.

best edm4787
Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome! Would love to see pictures of your milling machine and lathe mods!

Craig
Thanks Craig, happy to share. My heavily modified Taig Lathe and shop built milling machine:
IMG_6826.jpeg
IMG_7631.jpeg

Those are both awesome! For the mill, what kind of work envelope did you aim for? Similar to an RF-45? I take it this is your only milling machine now? Did you use another mill to construct this one?

Very cool even though the handle for the Z movement is a bit close to spindle belt for my taste.

Craig

The short answer is no. Insofar as the x, y and z axis dovetail ways are salvaged commercial machine ways, it wasn't immediately clear if any scrapping of the "column" would be necessary. The Column is a 24" section of 100#/yd rail (railroad rail) and the pre-manufactured z axis machine way is attached to the face of the base of the rail which turned out to be remarkable flat. I used screws and shims to attach and tram the z axis. The end result has column trammed within .0005". If it became necessary, I intended to use steel epoxy grout to level the column surface rather than scrapping - the rail steel is hot rolled so I think scrapping could not have been effectively done. To clarify the assembly, I've attached a few photos. The rail + additional frame steel + machine ways provide the desired and necessary machine mass (>200 lbs in total weight) and rigidity. The end result works well without any measurable flexure of the frame. BTW, the spindle is shop built as well utilizing tapered roller bearings w/ preloading and ER20 collet.

Edm

IMG_6600.jpeg
IMG_6618.jpeg
IMG_6826.jpeg

Those are both awesome! For the mill, what kind of work envelope did you aim for? Similar to an RF-45? I take it this is your only milling machine now? Did you use another mill to construct this one?

Very cool even though the handle for the Z movement is a bit close to spindle belt for my taste.

Craig

Envelope: x, 16"; y, 5"; z, 6". It is my only mill. used the Taig and the partially completed mill for all turning and milling operations necessary to build and complete. The z handwheel is not as close to the drive belt as it may appear in the photo.

Thanks for your interest and compliments

Edm

Effective scrounging (digging in unusual places for bits and pieces) is a bit of an art.
Here no longer possible as the scrap handlers no longer allow anything out unless its by the car (rail that is) load.
You found yourself some treasures which likely have given you something that most of us can only drool over.

Good on you!!!

(Wass - - - - kein Hohenswangau (sorry doubt that's spelt correctly but its the other of 'Mad Ludwig's' castles.)

Effective scrounging (digging in unusual places for bits and pieces) is a bit of an art.
Here no longer possible as the scrap handlers no longer allow anything out unless its by the car (rail that is) load.
You found yourself some treasures which likely have given you something that most of us can only drool over.

Good on you!!!

(Wass - - - - kein Hohenswangau (sorry doubt that's spelt correctly but its the other of 'Mad Ludwig's' castles.)
Indeed.

Good on you!!!

Indeed. Thanks. Have been collecting old iron, machines and material, for over 50 years and now finding a use for some of it. days of walking about the scrap yards are long gone. now mostly craigslist, garage/yard sales and curb finds.

Latest posts

Back