Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leather belt is driving the Jackshaft. There is a sprocket on the Jackshaft and there is a sprocket on the rear axle (differential). The flywheel is always spinning...when the clutch is engaged (when the leather grips the flywheel), it drives the Jackshaft which then drives the rear axle.

Henry's original Quad has 2 speeds. And no brakes! Low speed is the belt on the small pulley next to the flywheel, high speed uses the belt on the flywheel rim to the other small pulley on the jackshaft.

If you carefully watch the video of the Greenfield Villiage replica driven by George DeAngelis, you will see that it is in low range and scoots along nicely. He doesn't appear to have a high speed belt on it, and appears to have a brake on the other small pulley, very difficult to see in the rear view showing the engine running.

If that IS low gear, then high range would frighten a Formula 1 driver :eek:

Regards, RossG.
Radial1951

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1zeos489Uo[/ame]

I see below this guy is not using a belt on fly wheel

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNge9r1Yi4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGLGQYonsg[/ame]

I am trying to find drawings for the Diff and sizes also for all the pulley wheels steel and wooden. I want to build my Quad wider to get two Bums on the seat.

anyone got drawings that shows very clear the fly wheel Im trying to get my head around it. Thank you everyone for your help and support. I ask 5 times and get it right once always best to learn.

Im getting my knickers in a twist ref drawings I see there is 3 main drawing out there and many changes made on the first drawings.

Has anyone got photos or drawing of the Diff sizes ref the Diff also what OD is the axle.

My steel comes today to start building my frame :):) Ill be happy to get started.

Also Wheels and Hud,s I want to build 26in wheels. Anyone knows the gauge for the spokes used in the wheel making.

I take it each wheel needs to stand 360lbs per wheels ?

My fault for twisting your knickers. I've got so many pics and files that I have ended up putting the wrong dwgs with the wrong pics. I'll get them sorted. I've got very pics of the diff but I need to know the ratio. Is it 2:1 or 3:1 or 4:1?

R

Forgot to ask. From your experience how long do the rear axle bearing blocks last? Can I use needle bearings with a hardened and ground inner liner on the shaft?

Hi there, I am planing to build one of these. I will be in touch the the UK builders when I get stuck. Would be nice to see how many Quadricycles can be built in England. Will also be looking at what others have done. One of the good things to come out of the Internet age, is that it makes passing on information much more simple. Was looking at this video, some good tips on it about the engine. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFCDI6y5xE[/ame]

Hi there, I am planing to build one of these. I will be in touch the the UK builders when I get stuck. Would be nice to see how many Quadricycles can be built in England. Will also be looking at what others have done. One of the good things to come out of the Internet age, is that it makes passing on information much more simple. Was looking at this video, some good tips on it about the engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFCDI6y5xE

Hallo Steam,
please get in contact with me.
www.quadricycle-1896.de
Udo Becker
I have Information regarding a UK - Project ( 1963 )
Five years ago we started our own Project to rebuild a quadricycle.
Regards
Udo Becker
Germany

My fault for twisting your knickers. I've got so many pics and files that I have ended up putting the wrong dwgs with the wrong pics. I'll get them sorted. I've got very pics of the diff but I need to know the ratio. Is it 2:1 or 3:1 or 4:1?

R

Forgot to ask. From your experience how long do the rear axle bearing blocks last? Can I use needle bearings with a hardened and ground inner liner on the shaft?

Not at all Ray we do Have a lot of info maybe to much info that's why we need a clear plan to work to.

1 frame
2 axles
wheels

Once together we come to a set of plans we will follow together then we are off.

For me I need help ref a stock list for making the 4 wheels anyone got that info ?

macmarch (Ray) and I are building one in UK like to meet any other builders in UK for a chat.

Thank you everyone Graham

Hello Chris,
Your work on this quad is really great.
I plan to also build a replica of Ford quadricycle.
You specify that plans are available on your website (01-31-2013). I can not find the address of that website. Can you help me?
Excuse me for the bad English, I wrote to you from France.

Didier

This pesky drawing has been kicking around a while...I finally decided to make it. I started with a 1/8" diameter x 2-1/8" long piece of brass and turned a sharp taper on one end. I then took a 3/16" diameter piece of brass and threaded it to #10-32, drilled and reamed for 1/8", then parted it off. Lastly, I soldered it in place approximately 1/2" from the top.

Hi Chris

Good job, it's starting to look like an engine! It will be a nice contrast to leave the hi-tech look of CNC machining and SS screws against the bed-iron chassis and tiller steering. I think Henry would approve.

Have you considered any alternative to welding the water jackets to the cylinders? Soldering, modern adhesives? How was the original done? Did I read somewhere that the Quad didn't have water cooling at first, but it was added after Henry found that it was overheating? I just worry about distortion of the cylinders…

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Thanks for the kind words Ross.

I don't particularly like welded parts because I don't weld. The fact that I can't weld bums me out....BUT I have several students who enjoy welding so I let them have at it.

True, the original Quadricycle did not have water jackets...that was a modification done by Ford. He actually modified the Quadricycle several times until he moved on to his 1901 Quadricycle.

I thought about soldering it but I am not sure how hot the cylinders get. JB Weld would also work but too much heat would cause the JB weld to smolder and probably flake off. "Dave Dunlavy" in PA used silver solder I think...I'll check it out again to find out for sure.

If we can attach the water jackets without welding...I'm all ears.

Hi Chris

Actually Dave Dunlavy soft soldered the water jackets to the cylinders, see pic below. The water fittings for the pipe connections were silver soldered.

Soft solder should take the heat just fine, after all, many millions of car radiators are soft soldered together. The brass top tank gets the hot water straight from the engine.

The other alternative is to somehow lock the sleeves in place on the cylinders, perhaps a few short tack welds, and externally seal the joint with high temp RTV Silicone. Your coolant system won't be pressurised so there is no load as such on the sealing medium.

Does George DeAngelis show how the jackets were fitted on his 1963 replicas? Maybe Udo Becker of the German Quad Team could advise how he has done it before. Here is a pic of the replica made by Ford in Australia, but the sealing method is not apparent.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Dunlavy Water Jackets Soft Soldered.jpg

Melbourne Museum Replica 5.jpg

Thanks Ross....I do have access to all those pictures and have studied them for a while. I'm thinking silver solder is the way to go...Dave looked like he used a giant heavy duty soldering iron. Some heavy duty irons heat up to about 1,160F.

I like this idea because I can do it myself...and if I screw it up it would be easier to fix than a permanent weld.

Thanks for the pics.

That's looking like a nice engine. I too like the old and new together. How can anyone who can do all this not be able to weld, I have only one word to say about that "LEARN"
Found this website about Joel Pennington, who did the article that inspired Henry to build his engine. If the discription is any thing to go by, no wonder he had to make a few alterations. http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/founding_fathers_edward_pennington.htm

Dean M

Dean,

Thanks for the link...that was some really interesting material.

When I build my version, I would like to build 1/2 scale. I live in the suburbs and have little storage space.
Has anyone attempted a scaled down version?
Mike in Salt Lake

Mike,

I am currently designing a 1/2 scale version of the engine. I'm just working out some of the little details but am almost ready to start buying stock. Yes, I am still in the middle of this full-size version but I don't get to keep that one!

The half-scale engine will be small enough for me to take to local shows.

I'll post pictures eventually.

Chris,
This one is on my bucket list. Please keep me posted on the 1/2 scale version.
Thanks for sharing your work with us.
Mike

Mike,

I am currently designing a 1/2 scale version of the engine. I'm just working out some of the little details but am almost ready to start buying stock. Yes, I am still in the middle of this full-size version but I don't get to keep that one!

The half-scale engine will be small enough for me to take to local shows.

I'll post pictures eventually.

Hi Chris, that's a great idea and a manageable project. Half scale will be just nice to carry around.

You have probably seen this one from Spain, http://www.quadricycle1896.com/en/home.html , go to "products". Looks a bit bigger than half size, but nicely done.

With various small (and very small) sparks plugs available, they could be completely hidden and it would look just like Henry's. You can also get cheap single and multi cylinder electronic ignition systems, matchbox size, and run for hours on 4-8v. If you run it on methanol with 2-3% oil it will run cooler than petrol (gas) and then you could use a carby off a nitro engine hidden inside a brass block and... oops getting carried away here :) lots of ideas...

Yet another project to add to my endless list. What are the main specs, overall dimensions etc ? Looking forward to lots of info and pics.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Latest posts

Back