Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the input. Yes, this half-scale will open up all kinds of possibilities...I'm looking forward to starting it.

I attached a picture of the half-scale Quadricycle engine so far. I'm going to make the main bearings out of Aluminum instead of cast bronze like the original. I plan on chucking a piece of aluminum stock in a 4-jaw, drilling & boring to suit the cylinder, and then saw cut in half resulting in (2) bearings. (I hope)

The flywheel will now be around 9" in diameter, main bearings about 4" long, intake and exhaust ports now 1/8" NPT, Cylinder diameter 1.25". I did see the "small" version of the engine the guys in Spain build...very cool.

12-7-2013 8-24-03 AM.jpg

great work I may just have to hold off on building mine till you have done yours. cam

I just bought the Franklin Mint, 1896 Ford Quadricycle. I have wanted this since I ran across it on the internet but it's hard to find (and usually expensive). I'm hoping it will give me some inspiration to hurry up and build the real one.

The details are amazing.

Not much progress.....but its progress none the less!

Exhaust head being machining

Steering lever welded and ready for machining

Thank you Steve....yes it is on the second floor of the building.

Even after the entire engineering department as well as many other individuals warned "them" from placing all those machines on the second floor...they put them there anyway.

Right above the library!

The building crew added structural support beneath the shop and assured us we would not fall through the floor....so far so good. :)

The engine cylinders, water jackets, and cylinder brackets were welded today by a 15 year old Sophomore girl! The main shaft rotates perfectly and everything is nice and square.

She is a student in the metal fabrication and welding shop at Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School....she was very proud of herself.

Now my students from New England Tech will take over from here!

The engine cylinders, water jackets, and cylinder brackets were welded today by a 15 year old Sophomore girl! The main shaft rotates perfectly and everything is nice and square.

She is a student in the metal fabrication and welding shop at Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School....she was very proud of herself.

Now my students from New England Tech will take over from here!

Hi Chris

WOW! Just look at the welds on the water jackets. Perfect! Anything less than perfect and the Quad won't be a runner.

I hope you have some pics of the welding being done, especially one of the welder with her handiwork.

She deserves to be be immortalised here for her contribution to this Quad Replica.

Actually it would be nice to see photos of all contributors. How about one of the teacher with some students in the workshop? This is a real people project, thanks to you, Chris. :)

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Thank you Ross!

I'll do my best regarding pictures...the high school can be very protective of their students and I don't know what the rules say.

However, my college students would not mind a group picture...I'll see what I can do!

Not bad, for a girl anyway. which reminds me, "must get better at welding". :D :D

Dean M

I'd say that welding job deserves a gold star! Far, far better than anything I could do...

Chuck

Just had this part made by 10th graders at Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School in Rochester, Massachusetts. Carpentry students laminated the Maple and Machine and Tool students machined it on one of their South Bend lathes!

This is still a New England Tech project but we are running out of time! I have to start out-sourcing some of these parts to make things move a little quicker.

So now we have high school students collaborating with college students!

Hi, I'm new and I wanted to know how the rear wheels are fixed? By clamping?, Keying?
It would be very useful.
Sorry for the text I am Swiss and I speak French.
greeting thank you in advance

:)

One rear wheel is free spinning and the drive wheel hub is keyed and pinned. I'll try and find a drawing that explains this better.

Sorry I can not open your files, you can just tell me the means of attachment of the rear wheels?
greeting
Thank you in advance

Lot's of great progress this morning on the full scale Quadricycle. We got the drive pulley broached and assembled the custom washers.

Last week we sand blasted and painted the frame.

The body and seat have been painted.

The chain has been installed and fit.

The differential hub has been marked and pinned to the rear axle.

Lot's of great progress this morning on the full scale Quadricycle. We got the drive pulley broached and assembled the custom washers.

Last week we sand blasted and painted the frame.

The body and seat have been painted.

The chain has been installed and fit.

The differential hub has been marked and pinned to the rear axle.

Wow Chris, that is real progress! Must be a thrill for the students to see it coming together. I can't wait 'til you can slip the wheels under it and see you guys having rides around the carpark! Well done to them and yourself.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Latest posts

Back