Dieter from Germany

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sehr interessant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Der Tractor - - - eigene Plane oder gekaufte?

Könnte ich de url von die Dampfgruppe bitte erhalten?

Danke sehr

The tractor was mass-produced between 1950 and 1952 by the German company Kramer.
Only 672 of my version with a four-speed manual transmission were produced.
I bought it used in 2019 in very poor condition and no longer drivable.
Since then, I have invested around 600 hours of work into the restoration.
(Another version with a five-speed manual transmission was produced in a quantity of 3343.)

In my club we have two of these tractors.
The club owns one and this tractor is also licensed to drive.
I own the second one and I also want to register it for driving on the road this year.
Here I have a little video where I go for a short ride with the club's tractor.

Below I have given you the URL to the German model steam forum.
I think you have to be registered to get access to the posts.

https://www.dampfforum.info/

Last edited:
Very nice generator. I remember having it seen before, but cannot recall where. Maybe in the German Journal "Maschinen im Modellbau" that I have a subscription on.

I'm building my own generator and I'm wondering: how you did determine the ratio between coils and magnets?

I though that you need the same number (or multiple) of magnets as you have coils, but 32 is not a multiple of 12. Or is this because it is a 3 phase --> 4 coils/phase and hence 32 is a multiple of 4? Or did you use a non-multiple to reduce magnetic cogging?

Regards,

Xander

You're right, in "Maschinen im Modellbau",
an article was written about the generator by a forum member who had also received a cast part set,
without the knowledge of the people who had done all the work.
He even copied the pictures in the magazine from my pictures in the forum.
For the fee of the few published pages and the "fame as an author" in the magazine,
he disqualified himself as a model building friend.
But that's just the way it is, in the hobby sector ideas are not protected.
There is always someone around who earns money from other people's work.
If he had at least asked us before the report in the magazine, whether a report would be ok.
(Past and forgotten.) ;)

The motor/generator would also work with only 3 coils (one coil per phase) in a row.

You always need a pair of magnets (north / south).
Therefore, with this principle, the number of magnets must always be an even number.
The position of the magnets must match the coils within a certain area,
in this case it was correct with 32 magnets (16 pole pairs).
The circumference of the rotor only allowed 32 magnets,
because there was no more space available given the width of the magnet.

4 coils/phase and hence 32 is a multiple of 4?
Correct
This means that each coil in one phase has a magnet with the correct magnet pole in the same position.

Or did you use a non-multiple to reduce magnetic cogging?
No
Magnetic cogging is not a big issue in this case with 16 pole pairs.

regards
Dieter

You're right, in "Maschinen im Modellbau",
an article was written about the generator by a forum member who had also received a cast part set,
without the knowledge of the people who had done all the work.
He even copied the pictures in the magazine from my pictures in the forum.
For the fee of the few published pages and the "fame as an author" in the magazine,
he disqualified himself as a model building friend.
But that's just the way it is, in the hobby sector ideas are not protected.
There is always someone around who earns money from other people's work.
If he had at least asked us before the report in the magazine, whether a report would be ok.
(Past and forgotten.) ;)

The motor/generator would also work with only 3 coils (one coil per phase) in a row.

You always need a pair of magnets (north / south).
Therefore, with this principle, the number of magnets must always be an even number.
The position of the magnets must match the coils within a certain area,
in this case it was correct with 32 magnets (16 pole pairs).
The circumference of the rotor only allowed 32 magnets,
because there was no more space available given the width of the magnet.

4 coils/phase and hence 32 is a multiple of 4?
Correct
This means that each coil in one phase has a magnet with the correct magnet pole in the same position.

Or did you use a non-multiple to reduce magnetic cogging?
No
Magnetic cogging is not a big issue in this case with 16 pole pairs.

regards
Dieter
Many thanks for all the answers. Once my replica of the 1937 Industrie Diesel 2VD5 is ready, I will continue with the electric/magnetic parts of my generator. I build this generator predominantly to increase the "fly wheel inertia" to get a low RPM without having to add a too big and "not-to-scale" primary flywheel . Any electric energy it can produce is a bonus.

A three-phase alternating current is generated in a star connection.
You could connect it in a delta connection but it would have to spin a lot faster to get the same voltage. That is a great achievement to cut all those steel laminations and install all the copper windings! It is something I would never attempt.
Rotor: 32 neodymium magnets (16 pole pairs)
With 16 pole pairs depending if the four stator windings are in series it would generate a higher frequency than 50Hz at 300 rpm.

I see you have attached a three phase full bridge rectifier to get D.C.

The frequency generated changes constantly with the speed of the driving steam engine.
My single cylinder machine runs unevenly due to the stroke direction change.
It doesn't matter whether 50 Hz or less, or more.
The voltage is converted from AC to DC anyway.
The aim was to generate sufficient voltage at the lowest possible speed.
Approximately 12 V DC at 300 rpm was desired.
This was easier to achieve with a star connection.

I didn't have to make the iron sheets for the stator myself.
They are from an industrial electric motor.
The component originally had a length of 60 mm (2,362 in).
Two components for generators with a length of 25 mm (0,984 in) could be cut from one blank part.
The separated pieces just had to be re-clamped.
But it was a lot of work, or rather a challenge.

Dieter
Stator-1.jpg

Stator-2.jpg

Re-clamped to a 25 mm (0,984 in) package.

20240130_174733.jpg

Last edited:
The tractor was mass-produced between 1950 and 1952 by the German company Kramer.
Only 672 of my version with a four-speed manual transmission were produced.
I bought it used in 2019 in very poor condition and no longer drivable.
Since then, I have invested around 600 hours of work into the restoration.
(Another version with a five-speed manual transmission was produced in a quantity of 3343.)

In my club we have two of these tractors.
The club owns one and this tractor is also licensed to drive.
I own the second one and I also want to register it for driving on the road this year.
Here I have a little video where I go for a short ride with the club's tractor.

Below I have given you the URL to the German model steam forum.
I think you have to be registered to get access to the posts.

https://www.dampfforum.info/

Great information! Thank you muchly!!!

Re: the dampfforum - - - - I would like to communicate with the moderator except the only way to do this is after one is a member.
Do you know of a way of communicating with him like just an email address (not his personal one - - - his moderator address) - - -please?

Re: the dampfforum - - - - I would like to communicate with the moderator except the only way to do this is after one is a member.
Do you know of a way of communicating with him like just an email address (not his personal one - - - his moderator address) - - -please?
I was sending a forum-message to one of the moderators at Dampfforum.
I don`t have a valid email address, I asked for a email address.

Sehr interessant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Der Tractor - - - eigene Plane oder gekaufte?

Könnte ich de url von die Dampfgruppe bitte erhalten?

Danke sehr
I still know most of the German dog commands but other than barroom and beer kninda universal language

I YHINK I remember rindervflesh as being meat dinner that the exten of my German language.
Anyway welcome to the group I happen to live in Tennessee about in the middle of USA

See personal message.

Dieter

Ja, das wäre für mich auf jeden Fall ein Problem, da ich kein Deutsch spreche. Sie sollten einen Zoom mit Dieter machen, da er zweisprachig ist und es sehr einfach ist, mit ihm zu chatten.

Stay peaceful. :)

It's a forum in the USA, so if possible we should communicate in English when posting here so that everyone can understand the content. ;)

Dieter

Ja, das wäre für mich auf jeden Fall ein Problem, da ich kein Deutsch spreche. Sie sollten einen Zoom mit Dieter machen, da er zweisprachig ist und es sehr einfach ist, mit ihm zu chatten.

Für mich sind Fachwörter ein Problem - - - viele von Drehen und Fräsen habe ich schon gelernt - - - leider nicht alle.

Latest posts

Back