'Vickie' Stirling Engine - Jerry Howell Design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard P

Reaction score
I've been working on the Jerry Howell designed 'Vickie' Stirling engine for the last few months, and am now approaching completion of the project. So this won't be a detailed step-by-step build thread, but I thought I would post some photos as I finish up the parts and get to put the working engine together.

To kick things off here are the main frame pieces of the engine and the flywheel/axle. Everything is machined from plain bar stock as is usual for Jerry Howell designs. This makes for quite a lot of machining but an interesting end result!

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Very Well Done!

Nicely detailed parts really shine.

I will be interested in seeing any further parts and pieces you wish to post.

And... Thank You for posting.

--ShopShoe

Very Well Done!

Nicely detailed parts really shine.

I will be interested in seeing any further parts and pieces you wish to post.

And... Thank You for posting.

--ShopShoe
Thanks Shopshoe, I'll keep on posting

I love the idea of posting your build showing the finished parts rather than the step by step manufacture of each part. Of course followed by the assembly and finally a video of the running engine.
For me the only interest in seeing the manufacture of every part is if some 'unusual' set up is used which may help others.

I love the idea of posting your build showing the finished parts rather than the step by step manufacture of each part. Of course followed by the assembly and finally a video of the running engine.
For me the only interest in seeing the manufacture of every part is if some 'unusual' set up is used which may help others.
Thanks!

Here is the small 'cooling fan' assembly, together with the flywheels and frame pieces all painted up. The close up of the fan brings out all the finish imperfections, but it actually looks pretty ok to the naked eye. I found that part quite tricky to make.
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
1.jpeg

Took a bit of fiddling to get her running smoothly, but here are a couple of videos of the finished product! A very satisfying build!

Latest posts

Back