Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures from the "Australian" -- Long Track Version--
Victoria Museum

More Information : http://www.quadricycle-1896.de/weltweite-projekte/1963-australien/

Quadricycle1001.jpg

Quadricycle1005.jpg

Quadricycle1006.jpg

Quadricycle1008.jpg

Here are the Leaf Springs manufactured by the Palmer Spring Company in Providence Rhode Island. The owner's son graduated from our Mechanical Engineering Technology department several years ago! This particular company has been in business for a LONG time...supplying most of the covered wagons that traveled out west.

Here are the Leaf Springs manufactured by the Palmer Spring Company in Providence Rhode Island. The owner's son graduated from our Mechanical Engineering Technology department several years ago! This particular company has been in business for a LONG time...supplying most of the covered wagons that traveled out west.

Nice! ..... this project of yours Chris, just keeps getting better. Being able to see you do this a step at a time is a true inspiration. Keep up the good work.

I started on some of the engine parts for mine this week. Marked out and cut some of the bar steel to length and I'm waiting for the pipe to make the cylinders to arrive now. I'm just going with what works and looks near to correct. I'm not trying for 100% accurate replica. I've found most of the plumbing parts for the engine are available locally so this should go together relatively easily.

I am cheating a little bit, in that I'm fitting roller races inside authentic looking bearing shells. That should improve the engine life and operation. I'm planning on doing much the same thing in the wheel bearings as well, where I'll be disguising some self aligning ball races.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Great idea Julian...I'm cheating in a few locations myself. I will be using John Deer tractor pistons instead of machining my own. There are also a few little things here and there that will end up being purchased components too but as a whole the car will look great in the end...I hope!

When I build my version, I would like to build 1/2 scale. I live in the suburbs and have little storage space.
Has anyone attempted a scaled down version?
Mike in Salt Lake

Great idea Julian...I'm cheating in a few locations myself. I will be using John Deer tractor pistons instead of machining my own. There are also a few little things here and there that will end up being purchased components too but as a whole the car will look great in the end...I hope!

Hi all
Attention : Be careful with the piston.
We have restored two quadricycles (from Ford-Company of Germany builded in 1981).
We found out that only through the Oiler the lubrication is not sufficient.
The current new pistons are 2-stroke piston. (with fixed piston rings)
Diameter of the piston (63mm).
These Pistons were specially manufactured for us.
Can be reordered.
With this solution we now drive mixed gasoline (1 to 100)
The advantage is better lubrication and hence a better cooling.
Please let me know if you need more Details.
Regards
Udo

When I build my version, I would like to build 1/2 scale. I live in the suburbs and have little storage space.
Has anyone attempted a scaled down version?
Mike in Salt Lake

Hi Mike

The Spanish Replica Quad guys do a Mini Quad. I have no idea how good it is or the scale.
Have look here: quadricycle1896.com.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

image-3318500205.jpg

Thank you for the information.
Looks like a lot of work and a lot of fun
Mike

Last edited:
Nice job with that!

Great detail!

I will have to post my SolidWorks assembly someday.

I will have to post my SolidWorks assembly someday.

Yeah! you should do that Chris. I've only found a couple of dimensioning errors in the drawings. Very small errors and immediately obvious. Other than that my build is starting to take shape. I finally got the cylinders machined up and I found a couple of alloy motorcycle pistons and a set of rings that will work really well.

I figure that If I run the engine on 80% Methanol, 5% Petrol (Gasoline) and 15% Oil (maybe castor oil) then it should cure all the lubrication and temperature problems that I've heard of other people having. It'll burn cleaner too.

Adding the oil like a two stroke mix, should lubricate the cylinders much better and much more evenly than the drip feed oilers. Although I'll fit them anyway, because they look right.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Hi my name is Graham new here I want to build the Ford Quadricycle I have 2 Q I trying to fine size of wheel hubs and drawings and also what was the length of the frame and how wide ?

Thank you I live in UK

My SolidWorks just expired and I am in the process of upgrading so I cannot open my drawings. Once I can I'll send you the info...unless someone else has the information readily available.

My SolidWorks just expired and I am in the process of upgrading so I cannot open my drawings. Once I can I'll send you the info...unless someone else has the information readily available.

Hi Chris and Graham

Chris, I downloaded all of your Quadricycle SolidWorks drawings (73 files at the time) and can view them at any time using SolidWorks eDrawings, which is a free download.

The wheel hub drg file is P-0008_hub.slddrw the main part of the frame is P-0102.slddrw "Frame Weldment" and is 71" long. The Engine Frame bolts on the back end, increasing the length, but I couldn't see the drawing for that.

Below is what the drawings look like, not sure if you will be able to read them... the lower frame drawing is the side view and is at a different scale due to my partial screen grab. Overall length is actually the same i.e. 71 inches.

Graham, I could email these files to you but you will have to download SolidWorks eDrawing to view them. Let me know if you want them.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hub Drawing.jpg

Frame Drawing 1.jpg

Frame Drawing 2.jpg

Ross....thanks for doing this. I just upgraded to SW 2013-2014 yesterday and I have been up to my elbows with a job transition.

Hopefully before the end of the summer I can save all of those SW drawings as a DXF or DWG which will be nice for AutoCAD users.

Ross....thanks for doing this. I just upgraded to SW 2013-2014 yesterday and I have been up to my elbows with a job transition.

Hopefully before the end of the summer I can save all of those SW drawings as a DXF or DWG which will be nice for AutoCAD users.

No problem Chris

I sent the SolidWorks eDrawings link by PM to Graham, here it is for other Quadricyclists:

http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/ed/solidworks-viewer.htm Just download the free viewer, it should work.

Can you simply save the SW drawings as DXF at the time of drawing? Or is it easier to stick with *.ssddrw for editing/creation? I try to use (slowly!) ACad 2002 on my Mac... just basic 2D drawing.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Can you simply save the SW drawings as DXF at the time of drawing? Or is it easier to stick with *.ssddrw for editing/creation? I try to use (slowly!) ACad 2002 on my Mac... just basic 2D drawing.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Normally I stick with SW drawings because they are "connected" to the 3D model and it makes for easy modifications. The full version of SW will allow you to save a drawing in almost any format...DXF, DWG, and even PDF for people who do not have a CAD system.

I wanted to share this link with everyone. We landed a spot on the Henry Ford Museum Blog!

http://blog.thehenryford.org/2013/0...-rhode-island-establishes-a-quadricycle-club/

Also, many individuals have contacted me regarding DXF, DWG, or PDF files of the SolidWorks drawings I created. I am currently switching careers from teaching higher education to a vocational technical high school for Drafting.

Once I settle in, I will create DXF and PDF versions of the Quadricycle drawings. Remember, they are slightly different than the original plans made by George DeAngelis. If you want original 2D plans, contact George.

I plan on machining the Crankshaft this month...I will be making it from 4130 PRE-HT. Hopefully I don't screw up the threads! (get it...screw...threads...);)

Latest posts

Back