Lars from Sweden, 5 engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars N

Reaction score
Hello
My name is Lars and I would like to introduce myself
First, I would like to thank everyone for so much help and tips over the years when browsing this forum. What we do is becoming uncommon these days and it certainly is nice to be able to go to a friendly forum like this and see that there are more like myself around in the world. Now with 5 engines built I feel that maybe there is something that I can contribute to to someone, so I decided to become a member.

From a personal perspective, I am 46 years, have two girls, wife & dog and live in Sweden. Adding to the family is a veteran car, some mopeds, 4 veteran motorcycles I renovated and cherish. I also recently renovated an old PA28 airplane that I fly when I have the time.
I have a humble workshop with a 'blomqvist' swedish made lathe from 60s (similar to a southbend) that I equipped over the years together with a milling machine, welders and etc.

I really enjoy all things mechanical and get intrigued by different type of engines, although IC engines are my favourite

Engines so far:
-No1 engine I built was a Stuart 7A steam engine
-No2 was Red Wing Hit and miss
-No3 was the Mercedes 1909 4 cylinder engine (only video I have on youtube, see link below)

-No4 was a complex flamelicker that took alot longer than expected, but runs now
-No5 is the 4 cylinder Westbury SEALION with distributor/points that I am currently trying to get finished. Currently only "runs" on 2.5 cylinders I would say...I have the usual compression issue that I am trying to resolve on 2 cylinders

I am an engineer by trade and spent my career so far in the aerospace and marine business (jet engines 20 years and propellers a few years). I have always put pride in not only designing but also being capable of understanding how parts must be manufactured

Thank you
Lars

Welcome Lars, great to have you.

That is a really nice aircraft engine you have there.
What a lovely sound that makes.

Sounds like you have the perfect background to give you the foundation to do many things, including engine building.

We always like photos, so feel free to share what you have.

Pat J

Hello
My name is Lars and I would like to introduce myself
First, I would like to thank everyone for so much help and tips over the years when browsing this forum. What we do is becoming uncommon these days and it certainly is nice to be able to go to a friendly forum like this and see that there are more like myself around in the world. Now with 5 engines built I feel that maybe there is something that I can contribute to to someone, so I decided to become a member.

From a personal perspective, I am 46 years, have two girls, wife & dog and live in Sweden. Adding to the family is a veteran car, some mopeds, 4 veteran motorcycles I renovated and cherish. I also recently renovated an old PA28 airplane that I fly when I have the time.
I have a humble workshop with a 'blomqvist' swedish made lathe from 60s (similar to a southbend) that I equipped over the years together with a milling machine, welders and etc.

I really enjoy all things mechanical and get intrigued by different type of engines, although IC engines are my favourite

Engines so far:
-No1 engine I built was a Stuart 7A steam engine
-No2 was Red Wing Hit and miss
-No3 was the Mercedes 1909 4 cylinder engine (only video I have on youtube, see link below)

-No4 was a complex flamelicker that took alot longer than expected, but runs now
-No5 is the 4 cylinder Westbury SEALION with distributor/points that I am currently trying to get finished. Currently only "runs" on 2.5 cylinders I would say...I have the usual compression issue that I am trying to resolve on 2 cylinders

I am an engineer by trade and spent my career so far in the aerospace and marine business (jet engines 20 years and propellers a few years). I have always put pride in not only designing but also being capable of understanding how parts must be manufactured

Thank you
Lars

Welcome to the group

Dave

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I will share some pictures on my engines in the completed section!
Thank you
Lars

Nice & Welcome. I'm particularly interested in the Mercedes. Your own design, or plans or...? What is the fuel/ignition system? Any chance of some build pictures one day?

Hello Lars and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you have followed a very similar path in life to myself.
I am now 60 years old and I sold the aeroplane 2 years ago! In place of that, I fly models, so that gives a purpose to my small engines.

Thank you all for your replies!

Peter,
That is great. My PA28 is a -76. I enjoy flying models as well and my original plan was to put my mercedes engine to use in one, but even though it runs good enough, I think, having a watercooled engine in a model is asking for too much trouble :)
I would like to do a radial engine as my next engine when I the sealion runs well enough, but I am hesitant if I am capable enough. I have done 11 cylinders total distributed in 5 engines, so maybe I can do 7 in one engine next time...its been a dream for a long time

Lars, there is nothing different about building a radial engine. The parts are in different places, but otherwise the important machining is the same as any other engine.
I have nearly finished a Whittle V8, a 10cc air-cooled engine which I intend to put into a flying model.
I have also built a radial, but at 2300cc it's not a model. That engine is destined for a 3 wheeled vehicle similar to a Morgan.
Follow your dream!

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_114036_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231104_114036_MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 2018-12-15 11.39.41.jpg
    2018-12-15 11.39.41.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back