New Member Here

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to remind you guys that "scrapping" means to throw away and the word you all are supposed to be using is spelled "scraping"--one 'p'.
Apologies - - - I couldn't remember what the rule was - - - you know long vowel means single or double consonant.

(Too many exceptions to the exceptions so I've been slowly losing some of the less useful ones.
Anyone notice that the superlative is no longer used?)

Apologies - - - I couldn't remember what the rule was - - - you know long vowel means single or double consonant.

(Too many exceptions to the exceptions so I've been slowly losing some of the less useful ones.
Anyone notice that the superlative is no longer used?)

The “superlative” is already used in the German language. :)
(For example, when something is better than everything else.
In German: besser --> "am besten", in English I think: better --> "best" or "the best" (?)

Dieter

The “superlative” is already used in the German language. :)
(For example, when something is better than everything else.
In German: besser --> "am besten", in English I think: better --> "best" or "the best" (?)

Dieter
In English is now considered appropriate to use 'more better'.
You know - - - - like 'more good' and a load of other such.
AIUI German still uses the superlative the English language - - - not so much - - - its too much like work you understand.

(As languages change and today the English language is changing radically the changes are not always, if ever, for the better!
I was not referring to the German language in my statement!!)

In English is now considered appropriate to use 'more better'.
You know - - - - like 'more good' and a load of other such.
AIUI German still uses the superlative the English language - - - not so much - - - its too much like work you understand.

(As languages change and today the English language is changing radically the changes are not always, if ever, for the better!
I was not referring to the German language in my statement!!)
Hi ajoeiam, just letting you know that superlative adjectives are widely used in the English language, as is punctuation!

"In English is now considered appropriate to use 'more better'."
Definitely not the case in the English speaking world. The correct words are "good", "better" and "best". The word "more" is a comparative adjective, not a superlative. "Better" is also a comparative and those two don't go together. No offence intended and now back to the shop!

Hello Ed edm4787 and welcome. Your machine building and mods are really interesting. The mill looks very solid, a nice job.
Regards, Ross.

Hi ajoeiam, just letting you know that superlative adjectives are widely used in the English language, as is punctuation!

"In English is now considered appropriate to use 'more better'."
Definitely not the case in the English speaking world. The correct words are "good", "better" and "best". The word "more" is a comparative adjective, not a superlative. "Better" is also a comparative and those two don't go together. No offence intended and now back to the shop!

Hello Ed edm4787 and welcome. Your machine building and mods are really interesting. The mill looks very solid, a nice job.
Regards, Ross.
Ross, thanks. The Taig lathe lead screw and change gear additions were guided largely by a collection of various design elements taken from similar mods made by other Taig lathe owners. My Mill design and fabrication was inspired by standard bench top vertical mill configurations with mass and rigidity of the frame top of mind. I'm pleased with the results.
Best, Ed.

Latest posts

Back