Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More progress from this month...well I have the next 7-weeks off for the summer so I won't be working on the Quadricycle...just mowing the grass and drinking a few brewskies!

I built the body and sets myself...along with the water jacket rings. A day student built drilled and tapped the water jacket holes.

A great build!

I'm gathering materials for my own build in the near future and was wondering what material you used for the cylinders. Is it DOM?

Are you going with the ignitor or sparkplug for your ignition?

I bought the plans from MR. DeAngelis but there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled. I am waiting for the day you post your plans.

Thanks for a great build and best of luck.

Hi Chuck

Did you get your plans from George DeAngelis recently? If so, any problem contacting him? I believe he is getting on in years.

Yes this build is looking very interesting...

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

I got them last week. I sent the check and they informed Dave Dunlavy who has the plans on his website. He will the send you a password to access them.

http://www.quadricycle.info/

Here is the link to the Dave Dunlavy site...he is building a Quadricycle replica which is looking amazing! He has also been helping us out at the college with some helpful information regarding his build.

A great build!

I'm gathering materials for my own build in the near future and was wondering what material you used for the cylinders. Is it DOM?

Are you going with the ignitor or sparkplug for your ignition?

I bought the plans from MR. DeAngelis but there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled. I am waiting for the day you post your plans.

Thanks for a great build and best of luck.

I believe the cylinder tubing was DOM...I do not recall seeing a seam.
I am shooting for the original ignition but if it gives me any grief I plan on using a sparkplug.

I got them last week. I sent the check and they informed Dave Dunlavy who has the plans on his website. He will the send you a password to access them.
Hi Chuck

Thanks for that. Do I take it the plans are in PDF format for downloading? That would be a lot simpler than posting a heap of drawings to the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hi All,
Regarding "original ignition"
again my post from 05-30-2013
-------------------------------------------
Hi All,
regarding the pictures above.
This car were build by the Ford Company / Germany ( 1981 )
It is one of two.
Our Workgroup restored both of These car. ( in fully running conditions )
In the meanwhile we bought the one above .
Next target : We will build a one to one copy, based on drawings from 1963.
This are the only drawings made from the original quadricycle , displayed at "The Henry Ford" in Dearborn.
Afterwards we will develop a assemply kit for the reason that everyone can produce there own car ( Scale 1 to 1. ) but in fully functional conditions.
If you want, you can use the link : www.quardicycle-1896.de.
It's a german version, but you can use the translation option of your browser.
Regards
Udo
--------------------------------------------------------
This two Projects (restore) including the original ignition.
That means we know exactly what is needed to build the correct ignition inclusive the
--- No spark plug ---
We also rebuild the carburetor.

If you Need some Support regarding this Topic, please let me know.
Regards
Udo

Hi Chuck

Thanks for that. Do I take it the plans are in PDF format for downloading? That would be a lot simpler than posting a heap of drawings to the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hi All,
Regarding "original ignition"
again my post from 05-30-2013
-------------------------------------------
Hi All,
regarding the pictures above.
This car were build by the Ford Company / Germany ( 1981 )
It is one of two.
Our Workgroup restored both of These car. ( in fully running conditions )
In the meanwhile we bought the one above .
Next target : We will build a one to one copy, based on drawings from 1963.
This are the only drawings made from the original quadricycle , displayed at "The Henry Ford" in Dearborn.
Afterwards we will develop a assemply kit for the reason that everyone can produce there own car ( Scale 1 to 1. ) but in fully functional conditions.
If you want, you can use the link : www.quardicycle-1896.de.
It's a german version, but you can use the translation option of your browser.
Regards
Udo
--------------------------------------------------------
This two Projects (restore) including the original ignition.
That means we know exactly what is needed to build the correct ignition inclusive the
--- No spark plug ---
We also rebuild the carburetor.
If you Need some Support regarding this Topic, please let me know.
Regards
Udo

Thank you Udo...it will be several months before my students are at that point but I will definitely get in touch with you if we run into any problems.

I don't know the format but you do download them. Has something to do with google chrome. he sends everthing you need.
Thanks Chuck. I will call George and hopefully be able to organise it. It seems the German team also used the George Deangelis drawings from 1963. The excitement is building...!

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hi All,
regarding : The German team also used the George Deangelis drawings from 1963
-----> Yes this is true we got the drawings in 2011, directly from Georg, we met him.

But in general to the history of Georg's drawings.
In 1963 ( 100. Birthday of Henry Ford ) there were three Projects worldwide.

- USA - Georg D'Angelis ( he was the only one who could touch the original )
- UK - last Information I got : They builded three cars ( probably based on the drawings of Georg )
- Australia - They have built one car ( probably also based on the drawings of Georg )
All cars are still existing.
Currently I'm in contact with UK, to get pictures and documentations and
if possible, the story behind the project.
All this parts of history and Information around "the early Henry" will be stored in our Homepage : www.quadricycle-1896.de
But it will take some time.
Regards
Udo ( German-Team )

Hi Chris

I was snooping around Google and found this nice Quadricycle in Australia. I am trying to track the owner down, and if he's not too far away (wishful thinking), it would be great to get a look and have a chat about it.

I have spoken to George DeAngelis and emailed him to hopefully simplify payment for the drawings. Being on the other side of the planet is a bit inconvenient. FYI the drawings are US$190.

You have done a great job on your CAD drgs. No doubt many hours put into them. Thanks.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Aussie made Quad replica.jpg

Hi Chris

I was snooping around Google and found this nice Quadricycle in Australia. I am trying to track the owner down, and if he's not too far away (wishful thinking), it would be great to get a look and have a chat about it.

I have spoken to George DeAngelis and emailed him to hopefully simplify payment for the drawings. Being on the other side of the planet is a bit inconvenient. FYI the drawings are US$190.

You have done a great job on your CAD drgs. No doubt many hours put into them. Thanks.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Thank you Ross...that is a great picture. The main reason I put the original drawings into SolidWorks is because that is what I do with every new engine or machine I build. It helps me look for interferences, fixturing ideas, assembly, or in my case the little modifications I made due to lack of machinery/tooling.

When the car is complete I will most likely revise the drawings to represent what we actually built.

I did not realize you were down under...very cool.

I'm glad we are all interested in the same project...it makes it easy when one of us bumps into a problem and we have knowledgeable people to ask questions.

Here are some of our latest pictures. The leaf springs were completed this morning. I am on my way to pick them up from the Palmer Spring Company in Providence Rhode Island!

HI Ross, Dave,

the car displayed in the Victoria Museum is a "Long track Version" from 1963. It was a Project from the Ford-Company Australia.
I were in contact with the mueseum and received some Pictures and Details regarding the Story.
Your "green" car is a different car, please let me know if you find some Details around this car.
Udo (Germany)

G'day Dave

Thanks for the link. This all adds to the story. I'm planning to go to Melbourne in a few months and hope to get a look at it. I noticed a visitor's comment on the Museum site about another replica in Auckland, N.Z.

Udo's reference to an Aussie Quad started my local search which is how I found the "green" one. I managed to contact the owner/builder who is in Brisbane. This morning he kindly sent me some pics of the engine when it was under construction. Very nice...

Chris, that's excellent progress, the diff looks great. For those who can't view your drawings, there is a free viewer called "SolidWorks eDrawings" for Mac and Windoze. I am certain the work you have put into this thread will lead to quite a few Quads being built, I think at least one in Oz.

Udo, "Long track Version"? Perhaps "wheelbase"? The museum quad below appears to have a bit more foot room ahead of the seat. The scale has 10cm squares. It must be Ford-Australia's stretch limo version!

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Melbourne Museum Replica 2.jpg

G'day Dave

Thanks for the link. This all adds to the story. I'm planning to go to Melbourne in a few months and hope to get a look at it. I noticed a visitor's comment on the Museum site about another replica in Auckland, N.Z.

Udo's reference to an Aussie Quad started my local search which is how I found the "green" one. I managed to contact the owner/builder who is in Brisbane. This morning he kindly sent me some pics of the engine when it was under construction. Very nice...

Chris, that's excellent progress, the diff looks great. For those who can't view your drawings, there is a free viewer called "SolidWorks eDrawings" for Mac and Windoze. I am certain the work you have put into this thread will lead to quite a few Quads being built, I think at least one in Oz.

Udo, "Long track Version"? Perhaps "wheelbase"? The museum quad below appears to have a bit more foot room ahead of the seat. The scale has 10cm squares. It must be Ford-Australia's stretch limo version!

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Hi Ross,
Definition for "Long Track Version" :
The car were build for long runs.
Essential parts were change :
Cooling system,
Cylinder head,
Ignition system
Udo

Back