Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more progress today....finished boring crankshaft hole with this funny looking single point fly cutter. Never used it before but it worked great. The bushing fit like a glove.

Next week I have to figure out how to drill the cylinder/main bearing mounting holes.

Cylinder mount spacers

Front leaf spring spacers

Hi Chris: You and your students are doing a great job. I have one question for you just to get an idea of the size of your engine, how big is the flywheel? It is a nice looking piece of work. Thanks for shareing with us. Jack B

Thank you Jack!

The Flywheel is about 18" in diameter. We had to redesign the Flywheel to make it into (2) parts because of its original thickness.

Thanks Chris: That's a great idea putting two pieces together. I know it's difficult to find a chunk of metal that size. I am enjoying your postings. Your pictures are really worth a thousand words. Best of luck on your project. Jack

Hello, you and your students are doing a great job. The parts are lookingreal good. I hope to hear it run one day. I received the link to the plans and wantedto know if you had plans for the chassis or will more be forthcoming. Thank youfor sharing your progress, Danny

Hello, you and your students are doing a great job. The parts are lookingreal good. I hope to hear it run one day. I received the link to the plans and wantedto know if you had plans for the chassis or will more be forthcoming. Thank youfor sharing your progress, Danny

Thank you Danny...currently those are the latest prints. As we complete each new part or sub-assembly new drawings may be added. It has been a slow process but these are not machining students, they are engineering students. They are learning machining each week they show up to participate in the club....which is awesome!

So more drawings to come...just don't know when.

Hey Chris nice build .. I also was wondering about the link or website you have for the plans. I would enjoy building this with my 2 sons who love old technology ....much appreciated, Christian.

It's really starting to look like something now Chris. Your students are doing an excellent job! :)

I love it.
In a couple of years there will be many Quadricyles built following your lead.
Can't wait to see it run
Mike

currently those are the latest prints. As we complete each new part or sub-assembly new drawings may be added.

Hi Chris,
This is a fantastic project. As a mechanical engineer based in the UK I have to say that we suffer the same problems over here, with new "engineers" ... To be honest I refuse to even call most of the output from the Universities "engineers".

It's simply not good enough that they don't know how to make something. The fact that most of them have never gotten their hands dirty at all, is as far as I'm concerned an absolute and utter disaster.

I only wish more teachers would consider that practical experience is essential. Well done!! keep up the good work!!

As a secondary note, I'd very much appreciate a link to your plans.... I'm seriously considering building a Ford Quadricycle here in the UK and your work seems to be an absolutely excellent starting point for me.

EDIT: Many thanks for the link Chris.... the drawings are superb. Looking forward to watching your progress and referring to it to help with my own Quadricycle.

Best Regards,
Julian.

Hi All,

please get in contact with me !

We are a small work-group : www.quadricycle-1896.de ( it's a draft-Version only in German )

Five years ago this work-group were founded :

Main target : To build a one to one copy of the original ( in fully running condition )

In the meantime we restored two Replicas were build in the 1981 by Ford Company Germany

Best Regards
Udo

Hello Udo...I will contact you.

I'm sure we will have several questions once we begin troubleshooting the engine timing.

And I'm sure there will be other surprises as well...

Hi Chris,

attached you will find two Pictures !

Regards
Udo

642490_max.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Wow...it looks great!

I can't wait to get started on the engine.

Wow...it looks great!

I can't wait to get started on the engine.

Wow, is certainly right. I've been lurking here since the early days, just watching and trying not to get too enthused. But it is starting to get the better of me after seeing the photos of the replica above, watching videos on YouTube etc. I am certain yours won't be the only Quadricycle replica made from your drawings.

Chris, I sent you a PM re your CAD plans. Thank you for your generosity.

And thanks for making the effort, not only with the students, but also for sharing the building experience with all of us. A great thread.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hi All,

regarding the pictures above.
This car were build by the Ford Company / Germany ( 1981 )
It is one of two.
Our Workgroup restored both of These car. ( in fully running conditions )
In the meanwhile we bought the one above .
Next target : We will build a one to one copy, based on drawings from 1963.
This are the only drawings made from the original quadricycle , displayed at "The Henry Ford" in Dearborn.
Afterwards we will develop a assemply kit for the reason that everyone can produce there own car ( Scale 1 to 1. ) but in fully functional conditions.

If you want, you can use the link : www.quardicycle-1896.de.
It's a german version, but you can use the translation option of your browser.

Regards
Udo

Latest posts

Back