Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MainBearingRoughingCut-1_zpsa8d4dcac.jpg

Roughing the main bearing using our Haas CNC Mill. An evening student is doing this...I don't know how to turn the machine on!

I to teach and learn our youngsters to work with lathe, millingmachine, etc...
I think the conventional and CNC work should go hand in hand AFTER they have learned it all on conventional machines.

Chris

Ditto - learn to cut, and then learn how to put the numbers to it on a cnc. After that it's fair game :D

Our students cannot use the CNC machinery until the Bachelor's program...this is an evening student who works full time during the day and attends school at night.

Even when the students are using the old Vertical mills...I do not allow them to use the DRO until they can read the dials.

I agree with you folks...they need to know the basics...someone has to keep the "old ways" alive and as long as I am there I will do just that.

Chris,
You mentioned the quadricycle plans were available on line.
Do you know the website?
And does that include the engine?
Thanks for your help.
Great job so far. Look forward to seeing more.....
Mike

Hi Mike...I just sent you a message with the link.

The plans have everything. (at least they should) Still working out the little details.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems opening the drawings.

Thank you for taking the time to send that to me.
I am currently working on a Locomobile engine (similar to the Mason engine)
scaled up from a Live Steam Magazine series.
See my thread in Work in Progress Locomobile
thanks again.
I will look forward to watching your progress.
Mike

No problem Mike...and I will check out your build!

Updated build pictures of Quadricycle parts...

Quadricycle009_zpsf530a01e.jpg

Carb Handle

Quadricycle008_zps611daf1f.jpg

One Clutch Pulley complete and one to go

Quadricycle007_zps2d514f7b.jpg

Jackshaft parts

Quadricycle004_zps6b775389.jpg

Crank Arms Broached and completed

Quadricycle003_zpsf1e90b84.jpg

Setup for drilling and tapping the Main Bearing Caps

Quadricycle005_zps1e7a4585.jpg

Main bearing top and bottom fitted together and ready for CNC milling

Quadricycle002_zps4fbcab31.jpg

Main bearing setup

That's looking good Chris. Those parts are beautifully made but I wonder whether or not they are too good compared to the original. I doubt Henry had access to machine tools when he built this engine?

I can only imagine what he would have done with CNC!

And thank you for your comments...I will pass them along to my students!

Welcome. Quadricycle plans you have? I'm Polish. For me there are no plans. Please answer. Martin.I am very interested. thank you;)

Isn't CNC cheating? why do it manual at all, if there are parts that have to be CNC'ed?

I don't consider CNC cheating...it is an aid to manufacture parts more efficiently. The main bearings are the only 2 parts being done on our CNC mill as we could not afford the pattern and casting like the original bearings.

The remaining parts are done on manual lathes and mills with the help of the ProtoTrak for complex 2D shapes.

Drafters would call CAD cheating....until they found out how awesome it was!

I can only imagine what he would have done with CNC!

And thank you for your comments...I will pass them along to my students!

I can't imagine what the model-T would have been like if Henry had his hands on CNC. That's a scary thought ... lol

Please do pass on my comments to the students. Sometimes a little praise goes a long way. Confidence building and all that. Your students really are learning from the master and it shows too :)

Thank you for your kind remarks Andy...I have learned a TON from the great folks on this forum.

This build has been a lot of fun and we have only just begun.

Looking forward to seeing it through to the end.

That will be a challenge for those of us with manual machines.
Beautiful work.
Mike

Latest posts

Back