Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the first cylinder bracket...more pics on the way.

Quadricycle.jpg

Hi All,

This is such an exciting post. You mentioned that you have accessed original but fairly incomplete plans. Are these available to anyone?
If your drawings were available, that would be great too.

You mentioned that you are buying the wheels. Am I right in thinking that the wheels are old-style 28 inch roadster bicycle wheel sized -- 635 designated rather than the 622 that is equivalent to 700 c? Where can you get these from?

So far I have built and have moderately operational:
1886 benz 3 wheeler {2 versions since I was not happy with the first}
1889 daimler v-twin steel wheel car
1894 benz velo 4 wheeler
1886 daimler single track motorbike -- rough and hard to corner
1894 popp partially complete -- very little info on this car, so if you have info on it, I would certainly appreciate it.

I will post up a couple of pics if you are interested. All full size, but with some liberties taken where there was a lack of
information -- or to solve ignition problems -- or to avoid patently dangerous early fuel supply solutions.

Anyway, looking forward to this conversation.

Kind regards

Rex

Hi Rex,

Looks like you have plenty of experience with building cars of the past. I would love to see some pictures.

My SolidWorks drawings are slightly different than the original plans but only in the sense that I had to modify certain features to make it easier for my students. We are limited in the machinery in our shop.

I do not have all of the details completed as we are still in the very beginning phase of this build. Send me an email and I can put you on the list for receiving drawings.

The Flywheel should be completed within the next 6-weeks and the two main bearings are being programmed in MasterCam by a student.

More pictures to come next week...I have been slacking on the pictures!

Hello, I think this is a great build for your students.
Funny thing is I was going to scale the Ford Quadricycle next. I will follow you build and watch for you plans.
I am working on a scale 1886 with no plans. I am making them as I go; I am not in my workshop and only have hand tools for the build.
Thank you for sharing

FlywheelRoughing_zps95133c87.jpg

FlywheelMachining_zps2b15585f.jpg

The flywheel is coming along and should be completed by the end of this week!

The main bearings are going to be done on our CNC machining center using MasterCAM...an evening student will be doing all of that.

Next, the students are going to build a dolly so we can push the frame around the shop.

More to come!

I am currently in the process of uploading ALL Quadricycle plans onto a custom website I have created that will be devoted just to the Ford Quadricycle. They are NOT the original plans but are merely a version of the original Ford Quadricycle plans redrawn in SolidWorks. I had to make minor changes to some of the parts based on our machinery and tooling. Some of the drawings were created by our students.

The original Ford Quadricycle plans can be purchased online.

My site will contain SolidWorks drawings only...no 3D models.

Instead of emailing the drawings I thought this site would work out better for everyone. When I have uploaded them to my website I will post the link here.

I think this is a great and noble cause, I will be following with much curiosity.

Having said that, I am wondering what are the benefits this provides to the students. Is this in conjunction with a CNC machinist program or the like? What good will this do the student when he/she graduates? I enjoy working with manual machines, but more and more it seems like CNC knowledge and training seems to be the only jobs out there.

I think this is a great and noble cause, I will be following with much curiosity.

Having said that, I am wondering what are the benefits this provides to the students. Is this in conjunction with a CNC machinist program or the like? What good will this do the student when he/she graduates? I enjoy working with manual machines, but more and more it seems like CNC knowledge and training seems to be the only jobs out there.

I hope the students walk away with a better understanding of how parts are manufactured. I truly believe that a good mechanical design engineer should know how a part is to be made and on what machine(s) to make it on before they run off and start designing. In my opinion, a good machining background will help them become better more effecient engineers. At least then, they will be designing with a purpose...designing with the intent to manufacture.

So far it is working out quite well.

I hope the students walk away with a better understanding of how parts are manufactured. I truly believe that a good mechanical design engineer should know how a part is to be made and on what machine(s) to make it on before they run off and start designing. In my opinion, a good machining background will help them become better more effecient engineers. At least then, they will be designing with a purpose...designing with the intent to manufacture.

So far it is working out quite well.

I wish more teachers did that.

I used to work for the Florida Department of Transportation and we would get these green engineers that thought they could design traffic lights or bridges or drainage structures just because the had a degree and could use software.

I have heard the same thing with mechanical design companies. One example was a guy that insisted they fabricate a part that had a stepped, blind hole that was larger at the bottom than it was at the top. He insisted that if the software could draw it then they should be able to build it. After a heated discussion, the fabricator finally said he would build it of the engineer could figure out a way to clear the chips. The engineer just said "huh?"

A lot of them can't grasp the difference between Computer Aided Design and Computer Generated Design.

The sad thing now is that they make 3D printers that let them build the crazy stuff. Left on their own, they may never learn.

Thank you.

Sorry for the rant.

Ha! The rant was good...I don't mind!

I was fortunate to have been taught by "old timers" and whenever possible in industry I would find those "old timers" and pick their brains. I love new technology but I also respect and try to understand how things were accomplished before technology. I like mixing it all together.

This is what makes this forum so great...there is a good mix of "old school" and "new school" working together for the sole purpose of having fun with this great hobby.

If I can inspire my students to feel as passionate about mechanical engineering, design, and manufacturing as I do then its all worth it.

Hey Chris, there's a minor error on that stud. You'll have to make the students stand in the corner for that one ... lol ... Just kidding! There is a chamfer missing though. Excellent project. I never knew anything about this vehicle until a few years ago. Wish I could be your student now. Where were you when I was in school?? My metal work teacher was the pits, or maybe I was just a little s%^* ... lol

Please keep us posted with the progress on this and kudos to you AND the students. Well done so far!

I just noticed the chamfer!!!!!

Oh boy...

I'll keep the pictures coming!

Latest posts

Back