Vertical I.C. Rupnow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Another piece carved out

Cheers

19.jpg

Wow Ghosty you are really motoring through this build (I know - bad pun)

You are putting the rest of us to shame

Looking good though

Cheers
Bruce

I'm still plodding along. Remade valve cages and the valves now seal well. Did the "Palm test" to test the piston ring and there was no way the flywheel would turn due to the suction. Reassembled everything but no joy. Doesn't even try to start. Getting a goo spark at the plug. I get the feeling the little beastie is making fun of this newbie :D

Brian, A question about the engine frame. Does it have to be the size stated? The main dimensions are the deck height C/L crank to the cyl mount plate face, crank web face to cam cut out. the block I have after squaring is 123mm(4.842")x 116mm(4.566)X 50mm(1.968). It would be a lot of mill work or cut the excess with a hacksaw as I don't have access to a band saw.
As long as I take the dimensions into account, I could set it out on the block that I have.

Cheers
Andrew

Herbie---Do you want me to hop on a plane to Australia and give you a hand? Winter is coming in Canada right now. Any good excuse will do to get away for the next four months. If you have any questions at all, post them here and I will help you sort them out.---Brian

I'm still plodding along. Remade valve cages and the valves now seal well. Did the "Palm test" to test the piston ring and there was no way the flywheel would turn due to the suction. Reassembled everything but no joy. Doesn't even try to start. Getting a goo spark at the plug. I get the feeling the little beastie is making fun of this newbie :D
Herb,
Double check the timing, CAM and IGN, use a deg wheel if you have one. If you have spark(at the right time) fuel and air it should run, or at least pop.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian, A question about the engine frame. Does it have to be the size stated? The main dimensions are the deck height C/L crank to the cyl mount plate face, crank web face to cam cut out. the block I have after squaring is 123mm(4.842")x 116mm(4.566)X 50mm(1.968). It would be a lot of mill work or cut the excess with a hacksaw as I don't have access to a band saw.
As long as I take the dimensions into account, I could set it out on the block that I have.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew---The outside shape of the main engine frame can be anything you want it to be. If it isn't a surface that mounts to some other part of the engine, then make it whatever you want. Remember though, you are going to want to bolt this thing down when it comes time to run it.---Brian

Brian. Thanks for the reply, was not looking forward to cutting this block down to size, will be bad enough to cut the two side pieces out with a hacksaw.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi All,
Marked out, mistake made on top, measured from wrong side., Checked with cyl mount plate. Now the fun starts :)

Cheers
Andrew

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Hi All,
Crank and cam shaft holes bored. Now to spend the next couple of days fighting with a hacksaw:wall:

Cheers
Andrew

27.jpg

28.jpg

Andrew--My arms are aching already. I don't know what its like where you are, but here in Ontario, Canada, you can pick up an old 14" wood bandsaw for $200 or less and convert it to metal cutting very easily. ---Brian

Brian, I live in a small coastal town, pretty much every thing has to be ordered. Finding a bandsaw is not the problem, postage/freight is the killer.
Started on the fuel tank. Parts I have for it.

Cheers
Andrew

20161210_084637.jpg

Yeah Brian. Come on down to Oz. we have white Christmases here. White hot that is Rof}Rof}

Hi All,
Done with the hacksaw, arms feel like jelly.
Cylinder turned up this morning, just have to remove the scrap from around it.
Fuel tank done, waiting for more brass bar to turn up to make the mount rod, no more 1/2" bar.

Cheers

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Back