Vertical I.C. Rupnow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know Herbie you are doing pretty good,
Its springtime and lots of outside work to do,

DavidLloyd,

Saturday's looking to be wet David. Sounds like good inside hobby time to me. :thumbup:

Looking real good Herb your definitely miles ahead of me. If the weather holds and I get my code to run I might get to take the afternoon off and give casting the fly wheel another go.

Herbie--you have created a beautiful thing!! I can hardly wait to see it run. Your work looks a lot like mine did 6 years ago. I always wondered how people like George Britnell and Bill Lindsay ever got such beautiful finishes on their milled parts. Then I discovered the secret of laying a piece of 180 grit carborundum paper on the cast surface of my wood saw table, and rubbing the milled surfaces back and forth on it. It makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks Mark and Brian. And good luck with casting the flywheel Mark. Hope all goes well.

Good luck Herbie! Can't beat that 'first-start' feeling...

Agreed!! I wanted to tell everyone when I got my first pop and saw the flywheel gain momentum.

Looking forward to the running video.

Tried to start it up but no go. It didn't seem to suck in any fuel so I took a couple of turns off the intake Spring but still no go. The o ring I got was a bit small so I've just ordered some larger ones to see if that helps.

The engine turns clockwise when the flywheel is facing you. Try choking it with your finger over the air intake---that will get fuel flowing up the tube to the carburetor. Your needle valve should be open about 2 turns initially.

Hi Brian. The flywheel is going clockwise and even with my finger over the intake the fuel doesn't seem to move. I shall strip it down this weekend and see if there is anything obvious that stands out. I have ordered some new O rings as the existing one was a very poor fit but the only one available locally.

Pull the head off, put your hand tightly over the top of the cylinder, and turn the flywheel by hand. You should be able to feel lots of compression. If you can not feel the compression, then it is your ring. If you can feel the compression, then your valves are not sealing.

One other easily overlooked thing Herbie--you have to have a vent hole in the gas tank cap. If you don't, then there is not enough suction at the carb to "pull a vacuum".

Oops. Thanks Brian. I completely forgot about that. I shall remedy that and keep you posted.

I drilled a breather hole but still no go. Fuel sits in the tube but doesn't move even with my finger over the inlet on the carby.

Have you tried blocking the exhaust port while the engine is on the intake stroke? This would indicate a leaking exhaust valve.

I have ordered some viton O rings but won't receive them until early to mid November. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Latest posts

Back