Tiny I.C. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gbritnell and Jim, your kind words are really appreciated.

Hmmmm, whats next huh?

Perhaps a multi cylinder version of the "Tiny IC" with a cam actuated intake valve and distributer. I'm still brainstorming. I am on a "High" right now from getting this going, my mind is racing.

Perhaps some suggestions?

Kel

Awesome job Kel!!

I'm looking forward to your next build, A twin would definitely be pretty cool.

Kel

Congratulations Kel on a fine engine. It is always nice to see that big grin when a new engine fires up for the first time, Even nicer if it's your first IC. Be proud and enjoy the moment, you've earned it Kel. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Kel,

I think you should call it Mighty Mouse ::) Great Job. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nice looking Engine Kel!

Very Smooooooooooooth! ;D

Congratulations on all the "firsts"!

Dave

Thanks, Kevin, Don, Bob, and Dave!!

I Still need to work the kinks out of the little guy.

How long should I expect the spark plug to last?

I have run the engine for about 12 hours so far. I am having trouble with the spark shorting out onto the top of the head. I assume this is happening because the spark plug has high resistance or something. I have cleaned it a bunch, and shortened the gap. This works for a bit but then it shorts out again.

Kel

In addition to running the engine, I took some high speed videos as well.

This one is very interesting.

If you look at the smaller spring under the blue spring, you can see it vibrate when it opens. I would think this is the ideal opening characteristics, or normal. Either way my theory is the vibrating of the intake valve helps atomize the fuel entering the cylinder.

You thought are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tFY8oTB1z2E?fs=1&hl=en_US

Kel

Kel,
That high speed video really tells it all about the inlet valve. Neat.

I am still plugging away at my Tiny. Just a little bit at a time. Just finished is the exhaust. What would a farm type engine be with out an exhaust rain flap?

Gail in NM
Exhaust1.jpg
Exhaust2.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

Cool Gail!

That'll be fun to see bobbin' up and down.

That is awesome!

Your sure good at working in miniature.

Kel

I have made a few mods to the carburetor.

I made it a bit longer, and wider.

I made the mixer body out of 1/4 inch hex brass instead of 3/16 square.

I throttled it by drilling and reaming an 1/8 inch cross hole behind the spraybar in the mixer body. I then made a brass "Butterfly" by drilling a 3/32 hole through an 1/8 inch brass rod, and threading it 2-56 on one end for a nut to hold it in place.

The spraybar is pretty much the same, but it is made longer to fit the 1/4 inch hex brass.

Here are some pics.
CIMG1256.jpg

CIMG1262.jpg

CIMG1261.jpg

CIMG1258.jpg

And what would it be without a video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCHjnQPrvls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCHjnQPrvls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh ya, I took her apart and found some sweet sweet evidence that it is not just my imagination the engine is running.

REAL LIFE CARBON DEPOSITES, WOOOO HOOOOOO.!!!!!!!!!!!
CIMG1231.jpg

CIMG1233.jpg

Well thats what I've been up to.

Kel

kcmillin said:
Oh ya, I took her apart and found some sweet sweet evidence that it is not just my imagination the engine is running.

Very cool Kel.

Yeah...like a kid coming in dirty...meant you were playing. :big:

Sounds like it is very effective Kel. I'll look at mine to see if I have enough room to try that.

Arv, I had to make a 3/8 inch "Riser" base for the engine, so I could get my finger on the end of the card for choking it when starting.

Kel

On my rendition of Arvs Tiny I take a piece of tubing and put a little pressure in the fuel tank to prime the engine if it has been setting for a length of time which is easier than trying to choke it. Once that is done it is good to go for the rest of the day or whatever. I also use a battery powered Dremel with a 5/8 diameter '0' ring tire on a wheel which makes starting a breeze, just my take on it.
Regards Jim Hay

Hi Jim, that's one little trick you never told me about.

Did you make it to LeSueur this year?

Fantastic!!! Well done Kel, can't believe how freely it revs, it runs spot on. :bow:

Back