’Rolssi’ a 1936 vintage 4-stroke engine of Finnish origin.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prop looks good and suits the engine.

I had not noticed the way that the cylinder is held into the crankcase halves until I had a closer look at that drawing, I've not seen that before

The prop looks good and suits the engine.

I had not noticed the way that the cylinder is held into the crankcase halves until I had a closer look at that drawing, I've not seen that before
Yes. That is one of the awkward features of this engine definately. The case is held together only by the four bolts through radially placed flanges and the cylinder sits in a groove machined to the case. This was first of all a tough one to get concentric in a lathe and needed accurate inside groove to be machined for the cylinder.

I take that these awkward features derive from the fact that the original was built by enthusiastic airplane mechanics in the 1930s. It could well be that they didn't have many if all examples of model engines to learn from example back then.

That looks the part, very nice.

The design of the engine is beautiful and is reminiscent of the "good old days", the golden age of aviation.
I regret that there are no castings and drawings for this engine for sale.

Regards
Dieter

Latest posts

Back