Tiny I.C. Engine

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by putputman, Jan 30, 2010.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 30, 2010 #1

putputman

putputman

putputman

Feb 20 2010 -- I HAVE REMOVED ALL OLD PRINTS AND REPLACED THEM WITH REVISION "B" PRINTS. THEY SHOULD SHOW UP IN MY FIRST 6 POSTS. THERE IS ONE SET OF NOTES AND 21 PRINTS.

This is a tiny I.C. engine that I just completed. I first saw this engine at the LeSueur, MN. Pioneer Power Days last summer. A gentleman by the name of Jim, from Des Moines, IA. Had a couple small engines that that were beautifully built and run like a dream. Jim and I have had many conversations since we first met and he has provided me with build information talked me through several problems I had completing this engine. Jim, I can't thank you enough.

This is the smallest I.C. Engine that I ever tackled.
    [​IMG]

It has a 3/8 dia. Bore and a 1/2 inch stroke. Getting two valves and a spark plug in that small area proved to be quite a challenge.
    [​IMG]

It was the first time I tried making a spark plug. The body was made from 12L14 with a Teflon insulator and .035 music wire electrode.
    [​IMG]

The fuel mixer was also quite small. The spray bar has .018 fuel inlet and a .020 cross hole. The needle is a .025 dia sewing needle.
    [​IMG]

Jim recommended using S/S Machine & Engineering for a CDI unit for the electrical end. Knowing absolutely nothing about CDI units, I contacted Roy Sholl, owner/operator of SS. I have to say that I have never worked with any supplier that has been as patient and helpful as Roy. I highly recommend him for anyone needing an ignition system for their models.

The CDI unit is very small and I was able to conceal it in the Corian base I made for this engine. The unit puts out a good spark. I ended up using a Hall Effect for my ignition.
    [​IMG]

Had a few problems getting the engine to run and stay running. I used an O-ring on the piston. The valves sealed OK. It took several tries to get the intake spring pressure correct. Once it started it run pretty good, but after a short time it would quit. I would have to choke the heck out of it to get it started again. After several runs, it wouldn't even start. I replaced the O-ring and it took off again. Apparently the finish in the bore was too rough and would ware out the O-ring quite fast. I put a good finish in the bore and haven't had a problem since.
    [​IMG]

This could be an ideal I.C. Engine for the people that have mini lathes & milling machines such as Sherline and Tieg.

View attachment Tiny I.C. Notes -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 1 Frame - rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 1A Crank Ret. -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 2 Gas Tank -- rev B.pdf

2. Jan 30, 2010 #2

Speedy

Speedy

Speedy

WOW thats very cool :bow:
    does he sell the plans?
    I have a sherline mill and taig lathe. im always looking for engines

robcas631 likes this.
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #3

gbritnell

gbritnell

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

Great job on that little popper Arv. I built one a little bit bigger than yours and the only way I could get the rpm down was to make bigger flywheels. The spark plug looks like it's working well.
    gbritnell

robcas631 likes this.
  4. Jan 30, 2010 #4

cfellows

cfellows

cfellows

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

That's pretty amazing, Arv. You are definitely versatile in the types of projects you finish. Does it get hot pretty quick?

Chuck

robcas631 likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2010 #5

ironman

ironman

ironman

Great looking and sounding engine Arv. Any available plans? Be a neat project. Congrats. Job well done. ironman

robcas631 likes this.
  6. Jan 30, 2010 #6

Maryak

Maryak

Maryak

Wow, I admire your patience. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
    Bob

robcas631 likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2010 #7

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

where can we get plans is that jims design . It looks a lot like an Uphur I have a set of those.
    Tin

robcas631 likes this.
  8. Jan 30, 2010 #8

Quickj

Quickj

Quickj

PutPutMan (Arv),

That is awesome. Hopefully I will get the chance to see it in person at one of the shows here this year.

Looks good, Runs Good.

Jim

robcas631 likes this.
  9. Jan 31, 2010 #9

rake60

rake60

rake60

Nice Arv.
    Very nice! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

robcas631 likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2010 #10

Jtrain

Jtrain

Jtrain

Wow, that is awesome.

robcas631 likes this.
  11. Jan 31, 2010 #11

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

That is very impressive to say the least. It really purrs nice!
    When is the show you mention and where is LeSueur, MN?
    I attend the show at Rolagg MN every year and a show locally well just north of here. I've been away from the shop life for the last 7 or 8 years just now getting back into it after missing making chips. Isn't it a rush when you fire up an engine for the first time. I would bet firing that little beauty the first time was a really big thrill.
    I am very impressed with your work!

robcas631 likes this.
  12. Jan 31, 2010 #12

rudydubya

rudydubya

rudydubya

Really nice and compact Arv. My compliments on a well-done project. :bow:

Rudy

robcas631 likes this.
  13. Jan 31, 2010 #13

slick95

slick95

slick95

Very well done Arv :bow: :bow: :bow: It just purs right along. SUPER!!!

I'm not sure I could even see all those little parts but I sure would like to have a try at a small engine like the "Tiny".

Jeff

robcas631 likes this.
  14. Jan 31, 2010 #14

Quickj

Quickj

Quickj

Doc,
    The show in LeSueur, MN is the LeSueur Pioneer Power Show, This year it will be held August 27-29 2010. LeSueur is about 60 miles Southwest of Minneapolis, so quite a haul from JamesTown, N.D. Here is a link to their website,

http://www.pioneerpowershow.com/

They do have a separate building called "Miniatureland" for the Model engine builders, and every year there are 12-20 in attendance.

I attended maybe 8 shows last year from Winfield Kansas to Rollag, MN and I think I ran into Arv at half of them.

Jim

robcas631 likes this.
  15. Jan 31, 2010 #15

stevehuckss396

stevehuckss396

stevehuckss396

Nice job Putput!

I have been thinking about a 4 cylinder project that would have a bore of .313. What size thread is on your spark plug? I made a 6-56 thread plug that worked but i dropped it and it is no longer with us. Also how did the teflon machine? I tried corian and it machines well but is real easy to snap if to deep a cut is taken.

I also like that ignition. I use it on the Peewee and bought the same unit for the Hodgson 9 cylinder project. They work great.

robcas631 likes this.
  16. Jan 31, 2010 #16

b.lindsey

b.lindsey

b.lindsey

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

That is amazing work Arv and it runs so well as the video clearly shows. Thanks for sharing the pics and vid!!

Bill

robcas631 likes this.
  17. Jan 31, 2010 #17

putputman

putputman

putputman

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and comments. It has really been a fun & satisfying project, however frustrating at times. Smaller isn't always better & easier.

The design is essentially a 1/2 scale of the Upshur horizontal but with a lot of changes.

I did redraw every detail prior to building the unit. The drawings are not professional or even up to industry standards. I merely draw them so I can understand them and assemble the engine on the computer before I cut steel. I will post them as soon as I can check them over and figure out how to post them as PDF files.

Chuck, to answer your question, I really haven't run the engine long enough to see how hot is really gets. It does warm up quite fast.

Steve, the spark plug has a 10-32 thread, which seems too large for the cylinder size, but I cheated a little. After the threaded portion I necked it down to 1/8 for the remainder. That was the only way I could fit the plug and two valves in 3/8 dia. The Teflon machined OK but it was difficult to press onto the metal housing. It was like pushing a noodle. The plug shown was too short and did not enter the cyclinder area. The one in the engine is a little longer.

Half scale spark 012A.jpg

View attachment Tiny 3 Cylinder -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 4 Crank -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 5 Flywheel -- rev B.pdf

robcas631 and sergulbka like this.
  18. Jan 31, 2010 #18

NickG

NickG

NickG

Arv, wow, I love your engine, it's a little cracker. I would be very interested to see your drawings when you get around to it. I've been looking at the odds and ends hit & miss which is a design I love but also like this one so I need to try and make things as simple as possible when I do mine!

Nick

robcas631 likes this.
  19. Jan 31, 2010 #19

solver

solver

solver

Arv, pressing the teflon part to metal housing is much easier, if you use 'guiding tube', that has same a bit larger diameter, as spark plugs hole has. So the teflon doesn't have a chance to spread out.

robcas631 likes this.
  20. Feb 2, 2010 #20

putputman

putputman

putputman

OK fellows, need some help. I tried loading 7 PDF files this morning and maybe 1 got uploaded. I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what. Need some simple instructions on how to load more than one at a time or more than one in the same folder.

Also, once I load some PDF files will I be able to add more later to the same group and maybe even remove some absolete files.

View attachment Tiny 6 Gears -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 7 Piston -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 9 Head -- rev B.pdf

View attachment Tiny 8 Con Rod -- rev C.pdf

Walltoddj, robcas631 and sergulbka like this.