TB4 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin, you lead. I will build :)

What ever part is left I will do. Save me for last...

Ok folks need one more participant to step in .
Tin

Tin,

Are you sure .... this is my first TB. :)

Pat H.

Pat H: The parts left are 4 simple ones. you would get the group.
look at the print. Give an answer.
Do you have a lathe?
I think we can get you through it.
Tin
1Hand fine with me but Eric said he wanted to build but did not put dibs on parts.
Tin

Tin,

As I see it that leaves the following parts:

Rocker Arm Shaft ... will do.
Valve Push Rod ... will do with questions.
Valve ... will do with more questions.
Connecting Rod ... will do with a question.

Yes, I have a lathe and a mill. I like making parts from SS303, Brass, Bronze and of course Aluminum.

Pat H.

Pat H you are in for the parts, The con rods on the prints are a bit crude. I made the piston con rod from a flat strip of metal drilled holes and added some shape. the valve con rod was a bicycle spoke and a threaded block with a hole in it .
These parts allow for some creativity .
Tin

I can redraw any part with Alibre for clarity. and redraw my mod for anyone on the team.
In tb1 Giles put a nice og edge on the bases this is a real nice touch if the base builder wants to do it.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
I can redraw any part with Alibre for clarity. and redraw my mod for anyone on the team.
In tb1 Giles put a nice og edge on the bases this is a real nice touch if the base builder wants to do it.
Tin

I think if the base builder wants to change material, I could live with that. Wood or clear lexan would be cool as would be Corian.

Tin Falcon said:
Pat H: The parts left are 4 simple ones. you would get the group.
look at the print. Give an answer.
Do you have a lathe?
I think we can get you through it.
Tin
1Hand fine with me but Eric said he wanted to build but did not put dibs on parts.
Tin

That's fine. I got a seat on TB5. I didn't do an actual count on builders here, I just chimed in if needed.

Matt

1Hand: No problem you are on standby as a substitute.
Brass machine: You Have the bases.
All: Team is full
Gentlemen gather your material. start your machines and go!!!
opps mist pasted
corrected now
Tin

Eric,

I'm already on the TB5, you go ahead build. I was just posting in case you where short a builder.
I'll be plenty busy with the other build.

Thanks and Good Luck
Matt

Hi all, just been looking the plans over and there seems to be some definite clearance issues. .005" on the piston, .007" on the crank, .010" on the valve.... Seems a little excessive to me. Not sure if these were intended or just typos (like the 1" long crankshaft ??? ). Just a heads-up ;D

GailInNM is donating the blanks for the flywheels, so a big Thank You Very Much and a karma to Gail! th_wav

Cheers

Jeff

There are some minor errors on the prints Those clearances could be tightened up a bit. IIRC this was designed as a quick and easy build for a college class.
I am also wondering if the rocker arm (plate should be made by the same guy as the valve arm and valve. basically trade the rocker arm (plate) and the piston con rod.
Tin

Groomengineering said:
Hi all, just been looking the plans over and there seems to be some definite clearance issues. .005" on the piston, .007" on the crank, .010" on the valve.... Seems a little excessive to me.

I was going to tighten up the piston to -.0015 / -.002

Well I got out and got over to Speedy Metal today. Cut off 6 pieces of stock and started making cylinder blocks.

DSCN0987s.jpg

Started out milling the ends and getting the blocks to size. They are .004 under in width already. I plan on sanding down the sides to get them looking better so they will be about 10 under when i'm finished.

DSCN0989s.jpg

I decided to spot and drill the cross hole first and then the hole in the center of the cylinder can be drilled to meet it. I was nervous that if I waited, the drill would wander going thru after the cylinder port was there.

DSCN0993s.jpg

After that I spot and drilled the mounting holes on the bottom and then forgot to take pictures. Trust me they are drilled.

DSCN0995s.jpg

Then I spot drilled, drilled the cylinder, and then drilled the port thru to the cross hole.

DSCN0998s.jpg

DSCN1009s.jpg

Then while the part is still centered on the chuck, I parted off the piece of brass tubing, cleaned up the ends, and scuffed up the OD of the tubing. Then I put a coat of loc-tite on the tubing and used the nose of the chuck to send it home.

DSCN1004s.jpg

DSCN1006s.jpg

DSCN1008s.jpg

Tomorrow when the loc-tite does it's thing, I will run a tap into the holes in the bottom and we can call them done. Hoping to get some time tomorrow to do some pistons.

DSCN1011s.jpg

holey crap steve your fast
I got the rocker arms just about done just need to shine them up a bit, the bearing block I have to get some material for so it will be next week for that.

chris

I'm about to start making the Rocker Arm Shafts. :)

Chris sent me a PM about the Rocker Arms ... noting the following changes:

Thickness was .060" now is .125" ... good to know, thanks. ;) ;)
Additionally the holes are .150" ... with the option of making them larger.
For now that's okay ... but what size drill (reamer) did you use for the Rocker Arm Shaft.
I plan on making the through arm shaft about .005" .002" or so smaller (.148"). <<< edit

I can either make the shaft out of 360 Brass 7/16" round or 3/8" Hex any preference?

I will be using an e-clip so the groove for that will start at .125" + .005" .003" or so. <<< edit

The thread portion will be reduced from .400" to .350" so that it will not protrude through the base which is .375".

For the Valve I see that the hole size is .185" I will enlarge the Valve diameter from .175" to 180".

Don't know about the connecting rod or the valve push rod ... later on those. ???

Tin ... you mentioned about mod drawing being available ... can a set be sent?

If there any issues or comments please let me know. ;)

Thanks,

Pat H. (path)

Latest posts

Back