TB4 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
In the process of Eric trying to resurrect the TB3 project there has been interest by newbies to get involved this is a good thing.
The other thing that was brought up was the possibility of a beginner engine with a small team say 5 people.
so here are some thoughts :
Goal #1 Have fun
Goal #2 Each team member have a complete set of parts to assemble and engine.
Goal #3 get less experience builders involved.
Goal #4 Keep it simple I suggest http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm
Goal #5 Keep cost down to this end limit team to continental US
Goal #6 Keep it open we can do TB4a TB4 b TB4c if needed.
Goal #7 time limit 2 months.
Eric and Pat not trying to take over here but guide. I can Coordinate a team if needed I have two runners built so can offer experience and guidance.
And some of these Ideas were from pat I can not take all the credit.

The McCabe Runner It is a simple one sheet pan set available for download.
A couple of the parts can be made with hand tools and a bit of skill.
There are only about ten parts.
IIRC no tiny screws to tap or thread.
Mostly aluminum parts.
Here is a pic of my first Mcabe runner. I built a second from acylic.
normal_runner2.JPG

I used brass for the fly wheels and pivot plate but aluminum would work fine. I made a steel sleeve in an aluminum block.

Parts breakdown :
1) base Brassmachine
2) cylinder block piston pair and wrist pin : Steve Hucks
3) fly Wheels 2 per engine,Shaft Groomengineering
4) bearing carrier and rocker arm :Crispare
5) con rods, valve and rocker arm shaft. Pat H

I suggest 6 engines in case someone has to drop out with health issues and a sub needs to step in all involved still has an engine . If some just quits no engine for them but life sometime throws stuff out of our control. If there is an extra at the end the team can decide how it it is used museum display, roving show engine sold for charity whatever.
Pat this could be the team build lite you are looking for not an IC but a great little runner. If tolerances are kept good it should run immediately upon completion.
Tin

Once again looks like I left Y'all speechless.
Is any one interested in building this engine as a beginner team build. ?

Eric(Brass Machine) or pat J if you want to take the reins as a team captain let me know. ?
Like I said have built two of these am willing to make it happen if there are enough ( 5) interested folk.
This is a forum lets discuss this please.
I posted this 5 days ago I am surprised that we have had no reposes
if there is interest I will post the design changes I made on this build.

I think this would be a good start for the folks that have no experience building an engine. Then we can move on and finish TB3.

I am willing to jump in and help.

Well, Maybe some people are a bit leary because most team builds are destin to fail. I know of 4 or 5 builds that were never completed and 25 year friendships were ended.

I would not be apposed to making a part if the quantity stays reasonable and the people participating wouldn't mind me "customizing" the part some. Nothing wild but if I were to do the flywheels I would need to add some spokes or something.

Goal #3 was the reason I did not post. Not that I'm some master engine builder but I do have some time in. I suspect the reason for doing something like this is for beginners to get there feet wet and still come out with a working engine. I didn't want to interfere with that.

Count Me In if "Senior Members" are welcome

Steve: You could be anchor man on a build .
Goal 3 is to get newbies involved. But it may be hard to find a newbie confident enough to build the block and piston combo.
Goal 6 is to keep it open to interested folk.
in the original concept post for TBs a 3 month build time is stated as is an elected team captain. we can do this if folks want to . We have a proposed plan we just need a willing team.
Customization is encouraged TB1 came out great because of it.
Like I said copies 6 of each part. There are two fly wheels but very simple ones.
IIRc it took about 1 month to build the second one . I have done engines in a week but I find it hard to find that groove these days.

Eric: so you are stepping in as /nominating yourself for team captain ??
Like I said I am willing to be on the side lines as a coach adviser.
Tin

I'm in Tin.

A "Runner" would be a fun engine to build, and a lot less intimidating than some.

Vettes EZ would be another fun one. ;D

Cheers

Jeff

Eric and jeff what parts you want to make ??
All : do we want to stick with full scale or make a bit smaller half maybe 3/4 size???
Tin

I would be interested in joining this when it happens

chris

I see I am going to make the cylinder block. I have downloaded the drawings.

Can I make the blocks in aluminum and then sleeve the cylinder with some brass or bronze? I did not see a material called out for the piston so I think an aluminum piston in a brass sleeve would be good. K&S makes hard brass tubing and the ID is .373. The .370 piston would be a good fit still. Of course I would have the sleeves pressed and ready to go. Just need the piston to be +0.00 / -.002

I think full scale would cause less confusion but I am game for anything down to 1/4 scale.

How would you guy's feel about some engraving on the cylinder block? Something like..

HMEM
TB4

I would be interested in joining this when it happens
trying to make it happen download the print and pick what parts you want to do.
I have an assignment breakdown at the top of the thread.
Tin

Pat: looks like we have 4 builders so far so almost have a team for the runner are you in on this one. If you want, finish up those plans and lets get another team going if you want.
Tin

Eric and groomsengineering need to pick there parts and then one more
Tin

Tin,
I don't really want in on this build as it should be for beginners/novices to do according to your plan.

I do however have a box of 2 inch diameter blanks of 12L14 that are saw cut at 0.275 or so and will finish up at 0.265. This is just under the 0.28 thickness of the flywheel drawing, but sure won't hurt anything far as operation of the engine. I will be glad to donate a dozen + a couple of spares if someone needs them to do the flywheels.

Gail in NM

Hey Tin, I can do the flywheels and shaft. Is steel ok for the flywheels?

Cheers

Jeff

Hiya Tin,

Good sidelined for the holidays. If you don't mind running it, they would be great. I will finish with TB3 after 4 (and maybe 5) gets off the ground. This way some of us can get some experience before jumping on TB3. If you are too busy, I will take the lead.

Part - whatever is left

Eric

I'm going to take a leap and ass/u/me this thing is a go. I have the days between christmas and new year off and I don't want to waste them. I am going to move forward with my parts and hope this gets off the ground. Tomorrow I will go get my material and start cutting and slashing.

Gail :thanks for the option on the material .
Jeff: Steel will be good to excellent I would be sending Gail a PM if in your shoes. 12L14 is Ideal for this will probably need paint but that is fine.
Eric: I can will run this one but prefer not to build . can pinch hit if NEEDED.
Bases and a few small parts left.
All: We need one more team member to fill this out please.
I hand: You in on this one?
Tin Falcon

FYI on my second one I used bicycle spokes for the valve rod and added a bit of teflon for the valve button. the valve timing rod again was bicycle spoke cut and threaded and a brass piece tapped to fit a nice way of doing it and allows for a little length
the adjustment. pivot for the rocker arm 3/8 brass and a groove for a e clip made If I can find them I can provide e- clips for the build. I think hex would be good for the pivot.
here is my second runner version I call Claire (French for Clear)
normal_Claire_3a.JPG

Oh you can also see I used cherry for the base instead of aluminum . and IIRC just slightly larger than the original print .

Tin

Latest posts

Back