Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more done today.

Valves

Nuts done, and spindles almost there.

Ooo, I hear a runner coming soon.. Looking good, Tel.

Dean

Yep, there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel now ;D

tel said:
Yep, there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel now ;D

A pessimist would say that that glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel is of course the headlamp of an oncoming train!

But myself, being something of an optimist would hope that said lamp was indeed propelled by a STEAM train.... if you have to go, at least go doing something you love......

I love your creation mate and I cant wait to be hypnotised by it turning over slowly on vid. In fact if I bring the red can I come over and watch it turn over in the flesh.. (I promise it will be a good red... or 2..)??

Any time mate, after all, you are only 5 hours or so away. Just bring a good compass so you can navigate the workshop!

Not many bits to go now. Today I started on the clevis ends for the valve spindles.

A rummage around turned up a bit of steel roughly 3/16" square. A bit of experimenting showed that it was a good fit in a 1/4" collet.

So I cut off a bit long enough for the two ends + about 3/8" for 'comfort', turned the ends down and drilled & tapped 6BA to suit the spindles.

And cross drilled 7BA tapping size, for the pins

tel said:
Any time mate, after all, you are only 5 hours or so away. Just bring a good compass so you can navigate the workshop!

I have my Navman...man..... Mate I think I would truly enjoy meeting the Bathurst area 'Guru' .. that being Swami Tel....and viewing his work station, Ill tee up a date that suits both when next I drive to Sydney (short detour..).. ;D

No sweat mate, tho' I'm normally not here Mon Wed or Fri (tho the days can change according to the weather). At least with the s/c wood stove in the kitchen the billy's always on!

On with the show..

..... more work on the fiddly little buggers!

The pieces are cut from the parent stock at this stage

And mounted in a simple fixture, the cut is started

... and finished

Tidied up a bit with a file, these are the smallest components, excepting for some of the fasteners, on the engine.

And they go together thusly

So, where we are up to today. Just the steam chest covers, glands, and 12 studs to go, along with a couple of gaskets. Might not get back to it until the weekend tho' :(

Hi Tel - On page 7, The second photo shows a fixture holding "the fiddly little buggers!" Could you show us a better view of this fixture. Perhaps the other side so that we can see how the fixture held the pieces (for us students). All you can see in that photo is the workpiece sticking out. - Billmc

I can try to get a pichurgraph for you tomorrow Bill, but in essence, all it is is a couple of inches of 3/4" square steel, with a 6BA clearance hole drilled through, then opened out to fit the round bit on the knuckle pieces - I went about a 1/4" deep, although the round sections were only a bit of 1/8".

The procedure - insert workpiece in hole, square up with a small square held against the side of the block. Put a 6BA bolt and washer in from the back and tighten well down. Now bung the lot in the vise and get it standing truly vertical, set the slitting saw to height, and away you go!

You might make it out a bit better in this shot

Hi Tel - Thanks for the explanation for us dolts, speaking for myself, of course - Billmc

She lives!!!!
Pretty air hungry at the moment tho' - a bit more tweaking and running and it should settle down

Latest posts

Back