Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I cheated a bit there - that's just a commercially available elbow. It should really be a flanged sweep bend - might go back and fix it later.

Really a nice looking steam engine.

Chuck

Nice looking engine. Love the flanges you made.

Jim

It's coming along great. And that soldering jig... Very "handy and dandy". Something for the note book.

Dean

tel said:
And just to give you a sense of scale, here is one of the flange bolts

you are kidding me? Incredible... did you turn that yourself or is it (forgive me this question) a purchased item??

Nah mate, life's too short to be makin' them little buggers, tho' they are easy enough to do. That's just a commercial 10BA bolt. I did make several hundred 7BA bolts out of round head rivets one time, with a little hand jig and die - they were to represent coach bolts on the inside of a 5"g coal hopper. So I spend I dunno how many hours making and fitting them and then covered up the whole lot by fillin' the wagon up with coal!

Nice work Tel, and interesting engine. I have a question for you about the steam chest? When you silver solder it to the cylinder, I assume you clamp it together first, then solder. Is there anything you put between them, or does the solder wick through? Do you start heating the chest in the center to help with the wicking?

thanks
and nice looking engine, love the flanged pipe works.

Jim
Abbotsford, BC

What photo hosting service are you using Tel?

I went back to see the pretty pictures everyone is patting you on the back for, but I all I see is words refering to 'the pictures'. The pictures aren't there. Not even a place holder with a red x. Just nothing but text.

I'd kinda like to see them, but I'm not sure what I can do to make them appear.

:'(

They are ok on my end Kermit, might be something got changed in your browser.

Ron

Kermit, they are a mixture of Photobucket and Community Webshots - all showing up here OK.

No Jim I don't clamp them as such, what I do is drill through the flange pieces each end, into the port face piece and install some 1/16" brass pins to hold everything together. My procedure with the silver solder - I put a few centre punch 'pops' on the cylinder where it will be covered by the portface piece, the little craters they raise are enough to hold a tiny gap between the pieces for the solder to penetrate. Give the area a generous dose of flux.For soldering, I lay the assembly face down on my bit of fire brick and give the whole thing a good heating until the flux is 'right', then apply it to the flanges and to one side of the portface joint. Once the solder flows in there, play the torch on the other side, and the heat will draw the solder through. It's a lot easier to do than to describe.

You can make out the pins in this washed out version of an earlier pic I posted

Today's effort - the eccentric strap is well advanced

Yes Rob, I have - way beyond my 'umble means. Besides, it's more fun this way. ;D

tel said:
Yes Rob, I have - way beyond my 'umble means. Besides, it's more fun this way. ;D

Hi Tel i could not agree more ,, more fun doing your own casting and making all parts ones self ;D great build :bow:

Regards Rob

Thanks Tel, think I will have to try your way for cylinder making.

As far as the casting price is, plans are to expensive if you ask me. About $50.00 Canadian for me just for couple sheets of paper they copy, lets get real here.

Nice job you are doing Tel.

Jim

Moved a little further forward this afternoon.

tel said:

Enjoying your build mate. Very much. I agree with your comments, its why I cast stuff that I could pretty much billet mill or buy. Im in it for the fun and sense of accomplishment.... ;)

Thanks Artie, my sediments exactly.

Started on the slide valves this arvo, got one done and t'other marked out - the end is in sight. One slight glitch I've made - I'll have to offset the joints between the valve spindles and the eccentric rods slightly as the respective centres don't quite line up. Still, there's plenty of examples of that in 'real life' ones, so I'm still comfortable.

Latest posts

Back