Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
As some of you might know, the last year I've been poodle-fakin' about with tooling and the like, but I have just succumbed and got to work on an engine I've had in the think tank for quite a while now.

Don't want to let too many cats outta the bag this early, but here's some progress - the components for the cylinders - hope to get 'em silver soldered up in the morning.

cylindercomponents.jpg

I'll be lookin' over your shoulder Tel. Here's to success in your new engine build

Cheers,
Phil

Hey Tel, I'm going to build a twin in the future for one of those 1 1/2" scale "Clishay"

Here's two pics of what they look like in case you haven't seen them.

modder2a.jpg

modder2.jpg

I found plans in a magazine later for a bigger engine. The cylinders are square in the plans and I don't like the way the engine looks. I was thinking of making round cylinders.

Low and behold you came up with the same way to make the cylinders as I'm thinking of doing it. The cyclinders I need to make are a with a 2" (50mm) bore. How large a bore are you using?

I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure.

Regards,
Bernd

Thanks guys. These cylinders are nowhere near your size Bernd, only 3/4" x 3/4". I've done a few this way in the past and they usually work out pretty well.

You are right about the Clishay - round cylinders would look much better, I've only ever seen one 'in the flesh' and the square blocks look out of place for the period.

Another great idea that I can put in my component build file. ;D Thanks Tel.
I'll be watching this one closely.

Andy

Tel,
Count me in as another watcher. I've a feeling this is going to be interesting.

Kevin

Tel,

Baby I am Watching You,
mghypnotized.gif

Just to see what you will do.
rolleyea.gif

Sorry, couldn't help myself
spit.gif

Best Regards
Bob

;D

... there's no way that you can hold me,
I would rather that you told me,
What you wanna see ...

Cylinders silver soldered

cylindersss.jpg

Steam chest components .....

steamchestcomponents.jpg

.... silver soldered

steamchestsss.jpg

Now I can get on with some real machining!

Very interesting but why are you keeping your cats in a bag? :big:

On a more serious note can you tell me why you silver soldered two parts to make the steam chests instead of milling from solid? Is it because you have the material at hand or is it for another reason?

;D The cats shall be released from the bag soon enough!

Good question. I developed a lot of my building techniques back in the days when I just had the Myford lathe, a small drill press and little else. As they have worked so well, for so long, I don't see a lot of point in changing them - the steam chests being a case in point. And I do have a reasonable stock of that 1/4" thick brass angle on hand. The silver soldered construction works well, and I have never had a failure with one, although I've done quite a few that way now. The only thing to watch is that you get full penetration of the joints, so a careful and critical inspection is called for.

And here I just thought it was an easy way to get square inside corners.

I want to see how you do the ports as I b*ggered up the cast iron one I tried fabricating (1/16" and 1/8" slots). A dental bur is the tool that's been recommended to me...

It's a job that is pretty easy to bugger up. Helps if you drill holes at the ends of the three slots and carefully work between 'em with end mills. I have some micro end mills in 1/16" which are pretty good as they are short enough to be reasonably rigid.

Very nice steam chests Tel. Keep the photos coming along :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

tel said:
It's a job that is pretty easy to bugger up. Helps if you drill holes at the ends of the three slots and carefully work between 'em with end mills. I have some micro end mills in 1/16" which are pretty good as they are short enough to be reasonably rigid.

Hehe, I'd have to buy a milling machine first ;D I tried chain drilling tiny holes and filing out but broke off a needle file in one of the exhaust slots and trying to get it out I broke one of the 'bars' between the slots --->Bin. Grrrrrrr.

Ah! Cutting them by hand - that takes me back! Time, I think, to throw open Poppa Tel's Advice Kiosk.

Here's wot ya do.

1. Chain drill, as you said, but leave a little space between the holes.
2. Plug the holes with bits of similar material and file flush.
3. Carefully centre pop the spaces between the plugs.
4. Drill again and clear out the remnants of the plugs.
5. Now grind up a weeny chisel from a broken drill, say 1/8", with a brass 'handle' on it.
6. Using the chisel and a small hammer, carefully clean up the outside edges of the ports. Don't worry too much about the inside edges as there is a risk of breaking the land between the port and the exhaust port (as you found) - the exhaust edge of the port should work just fine as drilled.

I've been down the dental-burr-held-in-a-Dremel route and find it has a curious reluctance to produce a straight line. Your mileage may vary.

tel said:
1. Chain drill, as you said, but leave a little space between the holes.
2. Plug the holes with bits of similar material and file flush.
3. Carefully centre pop the spaces between the plugs.
4. Drill again and clear out the remnants of the plugs.
Now that's a trick to remember Tel, thanks!:) Problem is my memory ain't so good these days.

If I had the brains & gumption, I'd generate a giant database with nifty tricks & solutions distilled to their bare essentials, organized and searchable from all directions. Sigh, a dream.

If I had the brains & gumption, I'd generate a giant database with nifty tricks & solutions distilled to their bare essentials, organized and searchable from all directions. Sigh, a dream.

In effect, that's what this forum is - a gigantic data base searchable by the simple expedient of asking a question. That's why it's so important to take the time to answer even simplistic questions. Your answers to other's questions, gleaned from what *you* remember, are your payment for the privilege of getting answers to your own questions.

It's all rather satisfyingly symmetrical - sort of a miniature example of how nice things can be when people genuinely cooperate.

Ok, I'll go back to writing my philosophy dissertation now. :)

Latest posts

Back