Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul said:
Hijack: just in case anyone doesn't have this choc-full-o'tips link....

http://www.walteranderson.us/hobbies/metalworking/geometer.html

Now, back to the thread Tel...
You'll want to download them quick if they're still there. The people who believe they have copyright to them (that may be in doubt) send cease-and-desist letters to everyone that posts them as soon as they find out. Sad because they're an incredible collection of tips and information. Were I in charge of that portion of the world, I'd put them up for free download myself (with a 'sponsored by' banner) and sell a $20 CD of the contents.

Tel,
Any more progress to report on this little gem?

Kevin

I've made a little progress Kev, but not as much as I was hoping for. I'll try to get a few pics this afternoon - off to a swap meet in Bathurst this morning.

A few more bits done - embryo flywheel components and connecting rods

bits.jpg

ChooChooMike said:
P.S. None of those files are actually PDF's, the 5-10 I tried show up as corrupted PDF's. After looking at the files in an editor, it seems they are some intermediate file between HTML (Yahoo web pages) and something else ?? :-\

Mike
The ones I saved are real PDFs, but the Geometer links are all dead now since yahoo pulled the group. What you get is an error page from Yahoo.

Tel,
That looks like it's going to be a pretty good sized engine. That flywheel is what, 4 inches? 4 1/2?

You've got a pretty good eye Kev - actually 4 7/8". Got 'er stuck together today, but still not cleaned up. Couldn't resist hanging it on the beast and giving it a twirl tho' - looks to be running very true.

flywheel1.jpg

progress.jpg

Thanks mate, it's a bit of a struggle, as I'm working from a single pic - not going for an exact scale model, just something close, with the spirit of the original.

DIAG PROTO.JPG

Hey, size don't matter as long as you got the motion. ;)

Even if it's 1 to 3.146 ratio it doesn't matter. From what I see of the prototype picture you got her spot on. :bow:

Bernd

Hi Tel,

Is that engine in the Powerhouse ???

Looks like your pretty close to scale. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nah mate, somewhere in the UK I think - if it was in the Powerhouse it would be worth the drive armed with camera and sketchpad.

Tel,

Thanks for the link.

Best Regards
Bob

BUGGER! More delay - let all the smoke out of the Myford motor tonight! As an ex washing machine motor from the tip, that's driven the old girl for 30 years I suppose it was to be expected, still very annoying tho'.

tel said:
BUGGER! More delay - let all the smoke out of the Myford motor tonight! As an ex washing machine motor from the tip, that's driven the old girl for 30 years I suppose it was to be expected, still very annoying tho'.

Tel, are you going for the same very expensive dump route, or are you going 3 phase and inverter route for variable speed? I have just gone the 3 phase variable speed route and it is quite impressive although it would not be the same as the washing machine motor. Thinking just as I am writing this - is there a way of using a washing machine motor and use a speed controller of some sort? If there is I will have spent a lot of money on another solution. Please please don't tell me (or even more important not SWMBO) you can do is for a few quid or dollars..............please keep it a secret if you can! Obviously the washing machine motor was up to the job then if it lasted 30 odd years! ???

Metal Mickey said:
Thinking just as I am writing this - is there a way of using a washing machine motor and use a speed controller of some sort?

Modern washing machines (perhaps not 30 year old vintage ones) have a large array of possible spin speeds, It should (might) be possible to harvest the motor and speed controller from a modern front loader.

There would be some sort of learning curve for operation of it though, ie. fast spin for aluminium, non fast coloureds for steel, rinse for parting and screwcutting. Perhaps the drainage pump could also be utilsed for suds. ;D

Tel,

Commiserations on the smoke. :mad:

Congratulations on the new variable speed drive. ;D (Preemptive strike).

Best Regards
Bob

Metal Mickey said:
Tel, are you going for the same very expensive dump route, or are you going 3 phase and inverter route for variable speed?

As much as I'd like to go down that route, the coffers are saying a definite NO. Looks like another el cheapo soluion if I can find one. I do have a nice 3/4 hp motor here, but it's a 2800 rpm jobby - way too fast and no easy way to gear it down. :(

Latest posts

Back