Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about the smoke Tel. Recently did the same to my big mill....It was the capacitors ( 220V single phase 1 1/2 HP)

So which neighbor has the nicest washing machine? ;D :big:

Good luck....

Dave

Very interesting engine, Tel.

I think it was Brunel Models (or possibly GLR) who made a kit of the very same engine. Having a quick look through the various web catalogues of UK model engineering suppliers, the correct supplier escapes me at the moment.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I'm finding this build very interesting. This is not your run-of-the-mill (sorry :D) engine.

Cheers,
Phil

No, I haven't abandoned it, in case you were wondering! Got a little bit more do the last couple of days - this thing is starting to look like an engine!

crossheads1.jpg

crossheads3.jpg

crossheads4.jpg

crossheads2.jpg

Tel,

Yep, it sure is starting to look like an engine and a very nice one two. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

:( No mate, I've been a bit slack with this one - been working on the Ridley Half Beam and did the dividing head, and working on a QCTP to Harold Hall's design. I do have the slipper guides made, got to do the pistons and rods next, before they can go on. Soon(ish), I promise!

Yow, how long since I did any work on this - too long.

Ah well - a little bit more progress has been made, the piston rod, piston etc all fitted to the l/h side and the slipper guides fitted.

slippers lh.jpg

Another thread I missed earlier ::) anyway, up to speed now Tel :bow: ............... as ever, nice work mate 8)

CC

tel,

Wondered what happened to this engine, I love the beamer. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Inched a little further forward today - the second (r/h) piston and rod fitted, but not the slipper guides yet.

Instead I had a play around with the 'rear' exit exhaust system - I think it's gonna work

OK poison curls, today I got some more done on the exhaust manifold. It needs a 90° flanged branch, 1/2" long, so I thought I'd go into a bit of detail with it, in case someone ever needs to do something similar.

First, a bit of 1/2" brass is centred and spotted near the end

Then drilled thru 1/4"

Now we move to the lathe, and take a skim to establish the length of the 'pipe' section, which in this case is 7/16" from the inner edge of the hole

Next we centre drill the end, and pop a drill thru so it spots the other side of the hole - makes things a bit easier after.

Then turn down the 'pipe' section to 1/4" diameter - which, of course, means the outer end of the bar goes away somewhere

Now it is an easy matter to drill out the piece to the required 5/64" diameter and part off

Reverse the piece in the chuck and face off to thickness and the piece is made

A dry trial fit. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get the flanges drilled and tapped, and the branch silver soldered into place.

Watch this space!

Moving right along .....

Forgot to take any pics of drilling the flanges, so you'll have to imagine that bit. When I came to look for it, I couldn't find my handy dandy fitting soldering jig, so I made another one. Thes one is a bit tidier anyway

The bits loaded into the jig

And flux/heat/solder applied in the usual way

A trial fit

Almost forgot to drill thru into the main pipe - that would have been embarrassing

Where we're at today

And just to give you a sense of scale, here is one of the flange bolts

Very nice, I cant wait to see this one run.
-B-
the pipes and fittings are a great touch.
how was the 90 done on the pipe?

Latest posts

Back