Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trumpy81 said:
GDay All,

Thanks Steve. You should get an email shortly ... I hope :big:

My previous email is probably drifting around the internet somewhere. It'll probably show up in a year or two ... :big:

Did you send it to wowway or hotmail? Don't see one from you on either. Just sent myself a test mail from the wowway link and received it immediately. Maybe your provider is slugish and i'll get them both soon.

GDay All,

Sorry Steve, I was busy with some other chores. Sending it now.

Edit:
Just sent it to the wowway address.

Steve,

I'm thinking you could add "value" to the plans by including the DXF and CamBam files you used to make the CNC'ed parts. I'm unlikely to try to build this engine myself (not enough patience), but I'd sure want those files if I decided to do so.

Anytime you get a compliment like that from George you know you've done something special. :)

kvom said:
Steve,

I'm thinking you could add "value" to the plans by including the DXF and CamBam files you used to make the CNC'ed parts. I'm unlikely to try to build this engine myself (not enough patience), but I'd sure want those files if I decided to do so.

Anytime you get a compliment like that from George you know you've done something special. :)

That may be true but then I would have to create a file for each CB file explaining what tool to use when and what size piece of stock I used and how to fixture it. It's alot more work than just zipping them up.

As far as George goes, reading what he wrote was like Babe Ruth telling you "nice swing". It's like Tiger Woods telling you "nice putt". Kind words from those you look up to and want to be like, very special.

Mosey said:
How about a new member category like "MM", "Master Machinist", or "Master Member"? :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm not comfortable with that one. I am a long way from master anything. If you go back thru the thread you will see the 5 tries it took to make the crankshaft. There were more than a few pieces that took a few tries.

How about "Too stupid to know when to quit"

Thanks everybody for the positive remarks. Very much appreciated.

Hey Steve: I've followed your build all along without making any comments. I like to give credit to people in person and don't like to type with a passion. I just had to step in here and tell you that you are not giving yourself enough credit. Your engine is beautiful and you are as much of a "Master Machinist" as any I know. Sure you had a few do overs. But you knew what to do to remake the part right. GREAT WORK. I was saving that for the Zanesville show but who knows if I'll get there this year. My head is still hanging low over my Novi build. It's got to come apart again and I hate to think about it. Everything seems right with it, but it just won't run consistently. I'm thinking now about making a new set of heads with a different combustion chamber shape. I'm about out of ideas. I've got a lot of builds under my belt and never came across a problem I couldn't fix. This thing just doesn't make sense. Hope to see you happily showing your engine in October. Just find another scent for your fuel. Grape is not one of my favorites. Got any Cherry or Orange? Ron Colonna

Steve,

Part of what makes anyone successful in any pursuit, both professionally and in the hobby sense, is persistence.

You stated that you were "too dumb to quit".....I disagree.

You were smart enough to maintain the vision and mature enough to not get dragged down by
"negative internal talk"....You said..."Well that didn't work....OK why?....what could I do differently?

YOU followed that up with a plan of action, and execution....sometimes a you were successful right then and there...other times....no...but you asked the question of again of yourself....Why?....and again came up with a plan of action based on LOGIC and not EMOTION.

This can not be denied....we all witnessed it.

Emotion Displaces Logic.....its one of my mantra's that foolishly on my part took 47 years to figure out...... ;D

Being a Master, IMHO is about having Courage and confidence.

Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN... The later is always the scary part

I would agree with Ron....Don't short change your self....Being a master at anything is about understanding, but also and more importantly.....Being Persistant and having courage and confidence in your self!

To your point....being a Master is not a title....but a sustained effort....you've shown that to all of us, as have many others here....that is the bigger lesson.

steamer said:
Being a Master, IMHO is about having Courage and confidence.

Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN...

Thanks Steamer!!

I have been searching for a good quote for my profile. I have had 3 in the last week down there. I think this one is the best of all of them. Hit me right where I live.

Congratulations Steve on a wonderful achievement! Its not just the machining I admire but also the design skills and use of Alibre 3D Cad. The three separate disciplines mastered to bring about an engine that springs into life!

Once again well done Steve (and thanks for the help you gave to me on the camshafts for my Seal(s)) and perhaps we need to add Teacher as well!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

If we sit on the couch all day and do nothing we don't do anything wrong.But if we do something and it turns out wrong at least we learn that it does not work that way. If we made no misstakes we would have no metal in the scrap box for odd pieces when we need them.Keep on keeping on. Dale

Hello everybody. I was just out in the garage looking at the parts for the second engine. There are about 60% of the parts made. The block and oilpan are 100% ready so I am going to make the crankshaft and internals first. I'm going to make another run at the modular crankshaft. It sounds crazy to put that crank in the blown motor but i figure it still needs to be proven that it will work and if it will hold up in the blower motor, it will be fine for both. Things are going to start off slow but it will start to happen.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Steve,
could you say a few words, when appropriate, about how you fit the crank and cam to their bearings, and what you like for clearances, ie., do you run them with an electric drill to bed in the bearings, or what?

Mosey said:
Steve,
could you say a few words, when appropriate, about how you fit the crank and cam to their bearings, and what you like for clearances, ie., do you run them with an electric drill to bed in the bearings, or what?

I can try to remember to do that. I typically drill and ream my bearings and then make the crank journals .001 - .002 smaller than the bearings. If its a ball bearing I try to get a slip fit .0005 - .001 smaller.

This engine I ran in for about 10 minutes in the lathe with the tail of the crank in a collet.

Tomorrow I am going to tear down the V8 and make a video of the step by step process of how i time the cam and distributor and get the brass strip on the rotor in the right place.

Here is what we are shooting for.

untitled.jpg

Steve

You sure don't take long to rest up for the next round of fun. I'll be along for the ride as usual. Good luck with it all, looking forward to hearing that blower whine. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don
(94896)​

Back