Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,
Just spent the last couple of days reading all 82 pages, awesome stuff!

I'm nowhere near ready to tackle a project like this, but, maybe it is the sleep deprivation maybe it's insanity, but I've just sent thru the funds for the full set of drawings!
I reckon it will take me atleast 5x longer to build one, so I'll be posting some photo's in about 7 or 8 years :)

Cheers for a great thread, and cheers for making the drawings available!
Simo

stevehuckss396 said:
You've got mail!
Cheers Mate!
I snuck a good long look at the drawings at work today and realised I'm gonna be in for a fight.
I can deal with inches ok, but building to it? Dreaming!
Starting to wonder which would be easier.. building it imperial or converting it to metric... hmmm ???

As long you are having fun and don't get hurt.
Fun yes, not getting hurt? can't guarantee that ;)
I measured up all the large Ali I have handy.. all too small for the block, damn it!
The closest was only 0.4mm(~1/64th) too small.. aaargh!
It's a large plate offcut that is 52mm thick... 2.064" = 52.4256mm :(
Ah weell, I'll just have to make a start on the smaller stuff.

Cheers again.

Steve, I got a question. The end of the crank that has the square machined on it ,is that a press fit in the other piece of the crank and hoe do you machine a square on the inside of the hole?
Hope that makes sence

chris

chrispare said:
Steve, I got a question. The end of the crank that has the square machined on it ,is that a press fit in the other piece of the crank and hoe do you machine a square on the inside of the hole?
Hope that makes sence

chris

Yes it is a press fit. I machine the squares with a 1/16 end mill. The radius in the corner of the pocket is no big deal because the square is machined on the round shaft so the shaft end has no square corners. If both pieces are made correct there is a nice tight fit.

GDay All,

Congrats Steve, I can't think of a better project than this one!

Well done oh yea master Steve :bow: :bow: :bow:

I was at the show in Zanesville Ohio this weekend. I was having sparkplug troubles early on but they cleared up and I had some good runs later in the day.

I decided that I better make another run of plugs so I cut up a piece of corian. I have more than I'll use lifetime. Of all the guy's who have purchased or thinking about purchasing plans, who is going to make there own plugs?

Roy has a 10-40 plug that will fit but they are $23 X 8 = $184 a set.

I talked to Dale Detrich and he is looking into making the 8-40's but I don't know how much they will be.

If Dale decides not to make them I am also thinking about making just the insulators. They are the hardest part of making them. I would turn them up and when you get them you would just need to drill the hole in the center for the electrode. I would ask about $30 for a bag of 10.

Just trying to make the hard parts a little more easier.

I also have a friend who is thinking about doing the headers and zoomies in stainless. He is thinking $150 for the zoomies and $275 for the headers like on mine.

Let me know what you guys are thinking. I know one fellow already who would like a set of pipes. Looking for feedback good or bad to get a feel for weather or not to spend the time to make the parts.

DSCN2399s.jpg

I'd be one who would be interested in the base turnings if you decided to do them. Also where was the link to request your plans? I poked around but for some reason I can't find it now. Should have bookmarked it I guess. That's a beautiful looking engine and although probably WAY WAY over my head I want to dive into it anyway. I learn best by just firing up the machines in the shop and trying stuff.

Maxi

GDay All,

Steve, I'd be interested in the plugs/insulators although I am currently awaiting a sample of Macor (Machinable Glass Ceramic) to arrive. But it would be nice to know that a backup is available.

Also, I don't know if you would have the time/inclination, but a hardware package consisting of the gears, bearings, springs and seals etc., would be a very welcome addition.

The bearings are readily available here, but I am having difficulty in obtaining the springs and more importantly, the seals. Living on the wrong side of the globe and not having a credit card (thank gawd!) is taking it's toll here ... :big:

If all else fails, I guess I could use leather for the seals?

Another question for you, the one way bearing in the balancer, I know this is for the starter, but is there an adapter or something else needed for that as well?

trumpy81 said:
The bearings are readily available here, but I am having difficulty in obtaining the springs and more importantly, the seals. Living on the wrong side of the globe and not having a credit card (thank gawd!) is taking it's toll here ... :big:

Another question for you, the one way bearing in the balancer, I know this is for the starter, but is there an adapter or something else needed for that as well?

Without a credit card it's going to be hard to get anything by mail. If I do make this stuff available in a kit it would add cost to the items. Much better for the builder to source there own. There is a minor break for quantity but it is very minor.

All you will need to do is chuck up a hardened 1/4 inch shaft in a drill motor and spin the engine with it. I purchased an RC starter so I made an adapter with a 1/4 inch shaft.

Steve, I haven't read hmem in almost 2 months because it was depressing with no shop time. I came back because I kept thinking about your build. It's been a fantastic journey and I thank you VERY much!

Lee

Hey guys, Steve had it running at the MDMC club meeting Wednesday. I saw it raw. I mean to tell you as good as it looks in pictures it looks better in the flesh. It runs well too. Too bad folks in the adjoining room wouldn't let him run it more, it just made too much V8 rumble. I guess some folks just don't appreciate good music when they hear it.
Good job Steve.

jpeter said:
It just made too much V8 rumble. I guess some folks just don't appreciate good music when they hear it.
Good job Steve.

:big: :big: :big: :big: I would love to get a peak at it in real time. I really looks nice in the pics and video I have to say one more time Geat Job Steve!!! :bow: :bow:

Latest posts

Back