Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamer said:
Damn Bubba...hurry up the suspense is killing me!

Dave

I hear ya guy's!! I hear ya! This is the worst part. I have to wait until tools and materials get here. Months ago it would have been no big deal. I could just work on something else. I don't have many something elses. List of parts to be completed.

Brass electrode for the rotor in the distributor.

Headers, Tubing is all bent, going to have a welding shop silver solder them together. When the owner saw what they were for he lowered his price to a 6 pack. They also have all the correct rod and flux.

Sparkplug boots. Waiting on the endmills and 2 part rubber in the mail.

Thats it!!! It's killing me too!!

stevehuckss396 said:
I hear ya guy's!! I hear ya! This is the worst part. I have to wait until tools and materials get here. Months ago it would have been no big deal. I could just work on something else. I don't have many something elses. List of parts to be completed.

Brass electrode for the rotor in the distributor.

Headers, Tubing is all bent, going to have a welding shop silver solder them together. When the owner saw what they were for he lowered his price to a 6 pack. They also have all the correct rod and flux.

Sparkplug boots. Waiting on the endmills and 2 part rubber in the mail.

Thats it!!! It's killing me too!!

;D

I wonder if the UPS guy realizes he is about to get mugged on Steve's porch? ;D

DSCN2121s.jpg

that pic makes me want to drive down to you shop and DROOL all over it.

Words cant even describe it.

WOW
I gotta have one :bow: :bow:

Awesome Lookin Engine There Steve.

That header looks incredible. :bow:

Kel

EPIC!!!!!! ;D
now how can we describe the video you will soon be posting :big: :bow:

Steve I know I haven't posted as often as I should on this thread but I amd just awstruck. I too look forward to seeing it start purring!
Super job simply beautiful!

It will probably go viral all over the world! Little girls in the street in Bangladesh will be listening to the V8 run!! I can't stand the wait!

Well, Steve, this one will be a tough one to top. Absolutely georgous!

Chuck

This has been a pleasure to follow,I second all that has been said.
Don

the only thing wrong with that engine is that it isnt mine. :bow:
pascal

It would be very helpful for you to share some of your debugging process with the inexperienced pollywogs out here, thanks.

Mosey said:
It would be very helpful for you to share some of your debugging process with the inexperienced pollywogs out here, thanks.

There really is no set process. When I start with a new build here is what I do to find a good starting place.

1. Install camshaft
2. Install entire gear train.
3. Install degree wheel on crankshaft. (cheap plastic Office Max wheel will do)

(Set the timing on the camshaft)

4. Indicate #1 piston to top dead center.
5. Set pointer to zero degrees. (I use a coat hanger for a pointer held by a magnetic indicator holder.)
6. Rotate crank CCW 109 degrees.
7. Indicate #1 exhaust lobe to top dead center. (use distributor to turn cam)
8. Tighten set screw in cam gear.

(Set the position of the conductor on the rotor)

9. Rotate crankshaft to 37 degrees BTDC
10. Enable ignition system
11. Rotate distributor CCW until ignition sparks.
12. Super glue Electrode onto rotor between center and #1 wire

This is a good starting point with the cam in time and the spark going to the right spot and ignition timing in the ball park. Then the carb tweeking starts. I unscrew the needle until i see fuel being drawn from the tank. Then unscrew slowly from there if I hear some pops. Then it's what ever comes up or what ever it seems to need.

There are many ways to get one of these running. Everybody has to find there way. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. This is what works for me.

Latest posts

Back