Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well using the method described in the earlier thread I got everything set. Installed the electronics and gave it a crank. It started to pop right away so i asked the wife to go get the video camera.

This is the actual first run of the Little Demon. The timing has not been set. The carb is about 1.5 turns out with 1 turn out on the air bleed screw. The rings are not seated the valves are not seated. Other than that it went pretty good. I'll have better video as soon as I get it running better.

14 months, 11 days.

WooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooo!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4cuh2UdKU[/ame]

Steve-

Awsome! Purely awsome! This has to be one of the most eagerly awaited moments in the history of HMEM.

_bob

send it to me, ill tune it further so it will run perfect, than i will keep it so you can built a new one :p :p :p :p

just kidding, great engine.
pascal

Congratulations Steve!!!! That HAS to be a good Feeling! I was quite excited to see the Vid, and it was well worth the wait. I still have a smile on my face. ;D

Love the sound too!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Kel

Mosey said:
Congratulations Steve, on this truly terrific engine!! It even sounds like a V8.

Just so you no Mosey, I followed that procedure exactly and it gets you in the ball park. The only guessing game is how far to unscrew the carb needle.

Still a ways to go but some run time and tuning will get a better runner.

Great engine Steve!! And it ran on the first try!! Thm:
Crab

MARVELOUS!!! I had no doubt.

Excellent work Steve. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Congratulations, Steve.
It is a major step when the fruits of many months of labor pay off.
The journey has been long and while I know that is almost over I certainly have enjoyed it.
Gail in NM

I just love the smell of grape gas in the morning. Smells like victory. :bow:

Congratulations Steve!

It already sounds great and I know it will only get better with break in and tuning.

Thanks for documenting such a great build and for the great package of drawings and notes.

Steve,
What can I say my friend. phenomenal You do us all proud. What kind of timing advance are you using initially? I would think that you should be up somewhere around 25-30 degrees?
Looking forward to when you get it cleaned out. I'll bet it will wail!!!!
George

gbritnell said:
Steve,
What can I say my friend. phenomenal You do us all proud. What kind of timing advance are you using initially? I would think that you should be up somewhere around 25-30 degrees?
Looking forward to when you get it cleaned out. I'll bet it will wail!!!!
George

Well the peewee likes 35-40 so i set the crank to 35 BTDC and then rotate the distributor until the ignition sparks. That gets me close. I don't actually know where i'm at right now but i suspect somewhere between 30 - 40.

Don't remember if I mentioned this but this was the actual first run. When I turned on the ignition and started cranking the engine started popping so I shut it off and asked the wife to grab the camera. Then I turned the fuel screw out another 1/2 turn and wham! She lit right up.

Hey G! Can you whip up another trans real quick? I'll buy ya lunch!!

Ahhh, the day we've all been waiting for. Congratulations! That first run had to give you a heck of an adrenalin rush! Truly a great build.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back