Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the awesome thread on making sparkplug boots I have decided to give it a try. Tomorrow I am going to machine up the mold. I have ordered the same materials that were shown in the thread. I will post some photo's of the finished mold if all goes well tomorrow.

untitled-6.jpg

Steve,
Mold looks good, as your work always does.
How did you get that sharp corner in the bottom of the cavity?
Anxiously waiting to see your parts.
I suggest that you shoot a few with out coloring them to get a feel for the process.
Gail in NM

GailInNM said:
How did you get that sharp corner in the bottom of the cavity?

I suggest that you shoot a few with out coloring them to get a feel for the process.

I machined the cavity with a 1/32 ball mill. I figured a .016 radius on the corners might look good.

I was thinking the same thing about trying a few without color. Once I think I have the hang of it I was thinking about mixing up enough goop for about 10 boots. Then I can mix part A in, in single boot batches and the color should be real close thru out the run of 10.

dieselpilot said:
Cambam breaking tools? Is it common?

Not at all. I went back and reposted the code and noticed a open polyline warning. I had to go back to alibre and clean up the model. After that I went back to Cambam and repost the code. This time no error so I will try it when my new endmills show up.

100% my error. I have never had a bad result with CamBam that wasn't my own fault and I have created hundreds of pieces of code. I have to say I think CamBam is the S$!t. Works great!!

wow, this is my grail project. I have spent the last day reading all 71 pages of this forum. ::) being stuck on a military course away from home is exciting.

I started this year wanting to learn more about using my machine shop at work. I chose to go big and am starting with the kozo 040 switcher locomotive while I learn the basics and build my tool collection. I am currently using a 7x12 mini lathe with dro handles and I bought a x3 that I am almost done converting.

I am wondering if the aerosol rtv would set in the enclosed location if it was flooded with co2 like how a casting core is set. Could make an interesting experiment despite this new method.

stevehuckss396 said:
I'm not sure How I would get the Co2 in the mold. Do you just blast it in like an air compressor?

I had that same question come up when planning out sand cores. The troublesome but obvious answer was to head over to my favorite watering hole and bothering my friendly waitress for a co2 canister for a quick squirt. Then someone recently posted a delightfully simple solution, baking soda and vinegar...

Lakc said:
I had that same question come up when planning out sand cores. The troublesome but obvious answer was to head over to my favorite watering hole and bothering my friendly waitress for a co2 canister for a quick squirt. Then someone recently posted a delightfully simple solution, baking soda and vinegar...

I think i'll stick with the 2 part rubber putty. I have new code and when the endmills hit the door i'll get back at it.

Good seeing you Wednesday!!

Steve

My endmills still have not shown up so I made a few more plugs. Now all the sparkplug holes are plugged. All the plugs are gaped. I'm going to try .025 gap and see if that works. I also made some wire holders to tame the ignition wires. I also filled the crankcase with oil.

DSCN2108s.jpg

DSCN2106s.jpg

Man-o-man, that sure is cool looking Steve! I like many others are getting antsy waiting for the day it makes noise.
George

gbritnell said:
Man-o-man, that sure is cool looking Steve! I like many others are getting antsy waiting for the day it makes noise.
George

I'm right there with you. Once I get past the sparkplug boots it will be time to give it a try. The only part not made right now is the brass strip on the rotor inside the distributor.

If it runs and sounds just half as good as it looks, you will be well pleased, not to mention the rest of us followers.

Les

Latest posts

Back