Inspired build of the Benz 1886 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bore ended up a little over 1" and I will be using an O-Ring on the piston.
IMG_1990.JPG

These are the parts to the connecting rod and the piston.
IMG_1994.JPG

This shows it all put together and the rod cut to the correct length.
IMG_1995.JPG

I am happy to say there were no rod interference problems.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Well I am back from a short vacation and ready to go to work.
I cut out the cam towers and turned the cam shaft.
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG

I also straightened the exhaust pipe.

Since I don't have the bevel gears yet (slow boat) I am not sure exactly of their dimensions so I will make the towers taller than needed.
I hope to remove 1" off the towers height and 0.750 off the crank shaft end when they do show up. I made the towers now to give me a reference point for the exhaust valve linkage.
The cam shaft is over length also.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I made up the rocker arm and outboard lever for the exhaust valve.
I didn't have any brass rod for the exhaust pull rod so I made it out of steel instead.
The clevises for the rod ends are brass though.
IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

I really need to have the bevel gears in my hand before I can go any further on the exhaust.
Looks like a late Wednesday arrival time.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thought you would like to see a complete and working 1886 Benz. Iqbal made the entire vehicle with just a Sherline mill. It is large enough that his granddaughter could sit in it when she was 1 year old.
View attachment 148450
Hi,
This gentleman lives near to my place. I always wanted to meet him and learn from him. But I never was able to get his address or contact details.

Regards
Nikhil

While I am waiting for the bevel gears to arrive I thought it was time for some color.
Now painting in Florida can at times be challenging with the high humidity and high temperature things don't always turn out as planed. I painted the first few pieces and was rewarded with a pale pink color. Not that I don't like pink but I was looking for a bright red instead.
I got out the toaster oven and set it at 150 degrees. I found that if I could get the freshly painted item into the oven in under 2 minutes and leave it in for 10 minutes it turned out alright.
Some parts were not as nice as I had hoped but most were fine.
IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

What do you think?

Thanks for looking
Ray

I had a day off yesterday as a good friend of mine (Chris) and I went to ACME Surplus in Sanford Fl. They have metal of all kinds and as I needed some brass and some aluminum we made a morning of it. You never know just what they will have but I found some 1/4" brass rod that I needed and some 1/4" X 2" brass plate that was over 6 feet long for $4.95 a pound. That should hold me for a while.
Today I made the housings for the inlet and outlet cooling water connections. I was afraid that the wall thickness of the outer cylinder was too thin for making threads so I made the housings.
IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG
The bevel gears did come in so maybe tomorrow I can work on them.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Latest posts

Back